The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

A shop will install a new motor in my '78 Trans Am.

While the motor was out, I prepped the engine bay with Rust-Mort, and painted with 2k black semigloss. But I left the frame unpainted (I didn't think it needed to be painted).

The mechanic left the car out in the rain without the hood, and so now the frame again has some surface rust. The mechanic says he'll scuff off the surface rust and shoot it with spray paint. But I'm concerned the spray paint is a temporary fix (as opposed to 2k paint), and because of leaking fluids and heat in the engine compartment, the spray paint won't provide any protection, and I'll be left with a rusty frame again in a few months.

Am I worried about nothing? I really don't want to tow the car to my house to paint it with 2k.

Will rust start coming up through the 2k I've already laid on in other areas (master cylinder, etc)?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

A shop will install a new motor in my '78 Trans Am.

While the motor was out, I prepped the engine bay with Rust-Mort, and painted with 2k black semigloss. But I left the frame unpainted (I didn't think it needed to be painted).

The mechanic left the car out in the rain without the hood, and so now the frame again has some surface rust. The mechanic says he'll scuff off the surface rust and shoot it with spray paint. But I'm concerned the spray paint is a temporary fix (as opposed to 2k paint), and because of leaking fluids and heat in the engine compartment, the spray paint won't provide any protection, and I'll be left with a rusty frame again in a few months.

Am I worried about nothing? I really don't want to tow the car to my house to paint it with 2k.

Will rust start coming up through the 2k I've already laid on in other areas (master cylinder, etc)?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not if it was done correctly . If you removed the rust and epoxy primed , then painted with 2K . It will last . If you took the short cut way and painted right over the rust , it will come back soon .
Why would you paint everything and not the frame ? I'm not busting on you but it would have been easier to do everything at one time . Now you have to do it anyway . I hate doing anything over . Tow your car home and do it the right way . After your motor is in , you will be glad that you did .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 12-22-2002, 05:27 PM
Senior Chief

I used self-etching primer "spray bombs" before I put on the 2k, so I'm probably okay there.

I didn't spray the frame 'cause it looked so clean and purty ... a nice, grey aluminum color [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. (and I thought frames were left bare, not painted [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] )