The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi guys, I have a problem and am not sure what to do. I have a 65 GTO and am putting the front end back together. My problem is that under the rocker where the fender bolts to, there is nothing for the fender to bolt to. Just a hole, with nothing in it. What is the easiest way to fix this? I'm sure some of you have had this problem before, what should I do? thanks...

Old 12-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi guys, I have a problem and am not sure what to do. I have a 65 GTO and am putting the front end back together. My problem is that under the rocker where the fender bolts to, there is nothing for the fender to bolt to. Just a hole, with nothing in it. What is the easiest way to fix this? I'm sure some of you have had this problem before, what should I do? thanks...

Old 12-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Use a U clip fastner . They slide into the hole and then you can put your bolt in it . The are sold at auto body supply stores . They come in standard and metric , many different sizes also .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 12-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the hole is in the rocker panel then it sounds like the cage nut is missing, if it is the hole in the inner fender then Jim's suggestion is correct. I had to cut a hole in the rocker panel to remove the cage, nut and what was left of the bolt, which sounds like yours is missing all togeather. I then manufactured a new cage, using a little heavier material than the original cage and also made a new square nut. I went to the local machine shop and had them cut me two pieces of 1/2" X 1" X 1-1/2" flat stock. I then drilled two holes at the bottom of the rocker where the spot welds were. I then welded the cage to the rocker through these drilled holes. Double check your welding by prying on the cage with a screw driver or something to make sure the weld holds, (I had to do one side over). You will then have to patch the hole(s) in the rocker panel.

Here's to the girl that I kissed last. She doesn't kiss slow and she doesn't kiss fast. Her kisses are good, her kisses are sweet, and she makes things stand that have no feet!

Old 12-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yikes...this sounds like it is going to be a pain. It is the one in the rocker.