The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-17-2002, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a product out there that is like the original GM seam sealer? I have used 3M's version in a caulk gun style tube, but it is a little thick. It appears like the origianl stuff was brushed on, & must have been pretty thin durring application. You can see brush strokes in it. I want that same look, as I re-caulk all the factory seams.

thanks, 68

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-17-2002, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a product out there that is like the original GM seam sealer? I have used 3M's version in a caulk gun style tube, but it is a little thick. It appears like the origianl stuff was brushed on, & must have been pretty thin durring application. You can see brush strokes in it. I want that same look, as I re-caulk all the factory seams.

thanks, 68

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eastwoodcompany makes a brushable seam sealer kind. Its part number 31028zp and its 1 quart for $19.99 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**** breaks, then u buy the good stuff

Old 12-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

What he said! The Eastwood stuff is the best I have used. The 3M stuff is way too thick and is hard to work with.

NASA? NACA? Sure, either one is o.k. by me.
http://community.webshots.com/user/motornoggin

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 12-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a trick that was passed on to me by someone who does bodywork for a living. After applying the sealer and smoothing it with a putty knife or your finger, get a paint brush and some denatured alchohol. Wet the brush with the alchohol and brush it like you are painting the sealer. Keep going over it and the edges will start to feather and blend, and the main portion of the sealer will smooth out nicely. I have done this and it works great.

Here's to the girl that I kissed last. She doesn't kiss slow and she doesn't kiss fast. Her kisses are good, her kisses are sweet, and she makes things stand that have no feet!