The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fixin to repaint my 72 GTO.Question 1 Should I sand blast the front nose or is that a no no? Question 2 Should I sandblast the whole car? No rust but probably 2 coats of same color paint yellow. Give me pros and cons of blasting or not please as I want to do a nice job.

Old 12-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fixin to repaint my 72 GTO.Question 1 Should I sand blast the front nose or is that a no no? Question 2 Should I sandblast the whole car? No rust but probably 2 coats of same color paint yellow. Give me pros and cons of blasting or not please as I want to do a nice job.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think sand blasting is great, if its done by the right person, that knows how far they can go with it, before warping the metal. I tried someone nearby, that would no touch my car to sandblast it. But then found a guy that has done many car bodies. It worked out great. He cleaned every square inch of the car, except the outer quarter surfaces. I treated the metal with PPG's primer ready, & then two coats of epoxy primer. If you can find someone who is very experianced with sand blasting I think its the way to go. The only bad thing is trying to get all of the sand out of every crevice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

As far as the bumper, I have to do the same thing. I have heard that plastic media is the best way to clean them. Just bouces off, & takes the paint with it. Not too sure on that. Haven't got to that myself yet.

Here are some pictures after my 68 was sandblasted.

Sandblasted Bottom

sandblasted dash

Sandblasted trunk

68ragtop

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

---- DROOLING!!!! ----

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 12-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only advantage of sand blasting over plastic media blasting is that sand blasting will remove rust. The chances of ruining a panel are greatly inhanced bu sandblasting, I sandblasted inside my trunk, firewall, and door jams, but no sheet metal. Did not want to take an unecessary chance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 12-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

your right about that! I did not have the surface area of my quarters done. I took them down with 80G paper on a D/A sander. The guy who did the blasting for me said the same thing. Flat sheet metal can warp. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i had my car sandblasted too. it came out good, u should really have someone that knows how. if its done right it will look great. i paid 900 to have my whole car done and everything. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

**** breaks, then u buy the good stuff

Old 12-27-2002, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the advise. I had my fenders and doors sandblasted on my 65 and they came out fine but I carried them to an old guy in Missouri who has lots of experience. Dont know the guy here in Ft. Worth plus the business is brand new so maybe better not chance it. Like I said this car has no rust anyplace and no body putty. I just thought I might do a better job sandblasting plus a lot less work.Undercarraige and trunk is spotless already so dont even have to touch them.