Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was on Nunzi's site tonight, and as some of you know, am grappling with trying to get my 68 400 looking ok in my 70 bird. I tried the cheap Year one adapters, got the engine in, but it was tilted to the side. So, now it's out again, and I'd like to do it right tthis time. I know the engine will sit higher than normal, I can live with that, I just want it level. My question is, is how much does the Nunzi system cost, will it solve my issues, and are they good people to deal with. Another issue is the 68 GTO engine and frame mounts moved back, could someone give me measurements and a more detailed description, and the pros and cons of both setups? Thanks a million guys,

Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was on Nunzi's site tonight, and as some of you know, am grappling with trying to get my 68 400 looking ok in my 70 bird. I tried the cheap Year one adapters, got the engine in, but it was tilted to the side. So, now it's out again, and I'd like to do it right tthis time. I know the engine will sit higher than normal, I can live with that, I just want it level. My question is, is how much does the Nunzi system cost, will it solve my issues, and are they good people to deal with. Another issue is the 68 GTO engine and frame mounts moved back, could someone give me measurements and a more detailed description, and the pros and cons of both setups? Thanks a million guys,

Old 01-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To use the Nunzi mounts, you have to put 75-81 frame mounts on your 70.

When I used them, I found them aggravating. If you bolt the hardware to the engine and then try to install in the car, it won't fit. You have to leave all of the bolts loose, then tighten everything once the engine is bolted in.

As far as I know, they're the only game out there for putting an early motor into a second gen firebird. The motor didn't sit cocked either.

Mike

Old 01-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Butler performance also sells adaptors, I do not know anything beyond that, his website doesnt have a picture or a description of what's needed/required.

http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/...otorMounts.htm

you might want to give him a call for more details.

Bear in mind that space is limited under the hood of these cars. If these deals raise the engine even 1/4 of an inch, youre gonna be in for some creative air cleaner setups. that will also eliminate any manifold that's higher than stock, e.g., performer RPM, unless you like having an air cleaner thats three quarters of an inch high.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I already addressed that issue, I bought a 2 1/4" cowl hood.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll probably end up giving Jim Butler a call, and btw, does anyone have the price for the Nunzi Kit? I have a junkyard near me where I can get 75-81 frame mounts pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, I talked to Mr. Butler himself, and he said that my tilted engine syndrome was most likely caused by me, since the engine was probably in a binding condition when installed. He said to install the engine with the mounts loos, align the engine, then tighten everything down.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

for anyone who will search on this subject in the future i thought i would add some info. I recently bought some nuzi adapters to drop a 68 400 down into my 79 bird. I found that this adapter kit, may have a design flaw. The kit contains a flat bar with four holes that bolts to the block and the bracket bolts to the bar placing it in the proper location. I installed the bar and brackets and set the motor down in the car, there was no way it could properly set down on the motor mounts. I have heard of others having this problem too. What i have found was in the design i believe that the flat bar thickness was not subtracted from the brackets when the were made. I had to cut the ears off of both brackets and subtract the exact amount of the flat bar and weld the ears back on. After doing this i re-installed the brackets and set the motor down and the motor mount holes lined up perfectly.. This has been what i have found and may or may not be correct.

72firebird 3800# 496 316cfm eheads, 11.1:1 compression, custom solid roller, victor 4500 intake port matched, 1050 dominator, continental converter flash 4400 stall. 3.73. 2 inch headers with 3.5 with x to mufflers reduced to 3 inch full exhaust. mallory 250 fuel pump, cal tracs with split monos ..Pump gas 91 octane.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames Performance list a replacement engine bracket to fit early blocks into later cars...you need to use the later F'bird frame mounts. The engine brackets are used by themselves (not in addition to the factory late bracket) and sit the engine at the stock height.
(info taken from the Ames catalogue)

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.