The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For Judge stripe decals such as PY sells in their kits, is it possible to apply some clear paint OVER the decals to help protect them from UV and weather? (After putting the decal on over 2-stage base/clear paint.)

If so, is there prep work required? I think I read someplace about scuffing the decal with a scotch pad, but that was before I was contemplating painting the car myself so I did not commit the knowledge to the ol' memory banks.

Thanks

"Nothing Beats an Ol' Goat..."

Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For Judge stripe decals such as PY sells in their kits, is it possible to apply some clear paint OVER the decals to help protect them from UV and weather? (After putting the decal on over 2-stage base/clear paint.)

If so, is there prep work required? I think I read someplace about scuffing the decal with a scotch pad, but that was before I was contemplating painting the car myself so I did not commit the knowledge to the ol' memory banks.

Thanks

"Nothing Beats an Ol' Goat..."

Old 12-20-2002, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put clear laquer over the stripe on my 70 T/A 15years ago. I used a maroon scotch brite pad to scuff the decal, then shot the clear over it. It worked out very well for me. To this day the decal looks new, plus there is no edge to feel

Old 12-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

It would take several coats to keep any edge from being felt. You'll need to be carefull not to yellow the clear when doing that, but if done correctly, it should look nice and last a long time.

The Perfect World Is One That Revolves Around You & Your Ideas. So You Stay In Your World & I'll Stay In Mine!

Old 12-20-2002, 05:27 PM

Good question! I am getting ready to paint my 78 TransAm & am planning on clearing them in also. Goes in the shop in Feb. , will let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:39 AM
Senior Chief

Lightly scuff the decal with a grey scuff pad. Go light on the clear the first few coats then on to medium coats.

T/A 70