The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-14-2002, 09:42 PM

In 1969 Were GTO's painted in whole or were the shell, doors, trunk lid, hood & front fenders painted seperately?? I am wondering because I am repainting my GTO the original cameo white, but I was wondering how they kept overspray off of the frame and out of the wheel wells or if they just got overspray wherever. I guess no matter how I do it, I'm gonna have overspray somewhere, but I'd rather have it where it's supposed to be than not where it is supposed to be. Any info??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Er...sons69GTO.html

gtodude3e@netscape.net

Old 12-14-2002, 09:42 PM

In 1969 Were GTO's painted in whole or were the shell, doors, trunk lid, hood & front fenders painted seperately?? I am wondering because I am repainting my GTO the original cameo white, but I was wondering how they kept overspray off of the frame and out of the wheel wells or if they just got overspray wherever. I guess no matter how I do it, I'm gonna have overspray somewhere, but I'd rather have it where it's supposed to be than not where it is supposed to be. Any info??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Er...sons69GTO.html

gtodude3e@netscape.net

Old 12-15-2002, 05:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not sure how they painted the cars in 69 at the factory . My guess is the painted the parts separetly , then assembled the car . They only had overspray in the wheelwells and on the floorpans . Also some overspray inside the trunk area . If you don't want overspray on your car , carefully mask the area you don't want to receive overspray .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 12-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Most professional painters will spend as much time, if not more time masking than painting the car. This is especially true for cars of lighter colors. The overspray tends to be more noticable.

In Case Of Fire, Break Glass!

Old 12-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dismantled a 68. one owner, parts car. It looked liked the doors & trunk lid where originally painted on the car, but the front clip was not. I would guess the shell was painted off the frame because of the paint that was on the back side of the rockers, & under the frame. The wheelwells had paint on them as well, but were covered with black undercoating, or sound deadening material, & unfortunatly in this cars case, a lot of rust!

68ragtop

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA