73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood
Default 73 gto rally gauges to 74 can am gauges

I currently have a 77 lemans that has 73 gto rally gauges in it. I bought a set of 74 can am rally gauges cause I like having the nicer bigger gauges. I know the gauge connectors should swap over. But I don't know how I'm going get the dash lights swapped over.
Just letting you know won't be tackling for this awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F-118.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	538342   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_164239.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	538343  

Old 04-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checking to make sure you know that those gauges are not a direct bolt in correct? The 73-75 Grand Am's, the 75-77 Grand Lemans, & the 77 Cam Am all used Grand Prix style Dashboard. This is not just the electrical connections but mechanically they are very different.

I also Like the gauge cluster you plan on using, but it may be easier to swap the entire dash with wiring than adapt the Lemans style dash & wiring to the Grand Prix style Gauges. Just something to think about.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
Just checking to make sure you know that those gauges are not a direct bolt in correct? The 73-75 Grand Am's, the 75-77 Grand Lemans, & the 77 Cam Am all used Grand Prix style Dashboard. This is not just the electrical connections but mechanically they are very different.

I also Like the gauge cluster you plan on using, but it may be easier to swap the entire dash with wiring than adapt the Lemans style dash & wiring to the Grand Prix style Gauges. Just something to think about.
Thanks for letting me know of this. I thought that may of been the case but wasn't sure, I wasn't to worried if that was the case though because I'm not going to tackling this for awhile so thank you. I may just look into swapping the dash out.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can take the tach out of a 70's firebird/ta and put it in the 73 cluster. I did it several times years ago.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
you can take the tach out of a 70's firebird/ta and put it in the 73 cluster. I did it several times years ago.
Main reason I got that gauge cluster is cause my gas gauge needs to be rebuilt. Plus I wanted it's full gauge set. I know it may take a lot of work but I'm willing to do it. Plus they look a lot nicer.

Last edited by Flashflood; 04-25-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashflood View Post
Thanks for letting me know of this. I thought that may of been the case but wasn't sure, I wasn't to worried if that was the case though because I'm not going to tackling this for awhile so thank you. I may just look into swapping the dash out.
Quote:

Quick question I've seen pictures online of these clusters being in this type of dash can you tell me of this is false or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_153508.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	538383  

Old 04-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Flashflood, the last pic of the blue dash, is a base level LeMans dash with std gauges with a clock. As Jeff mentioned, you would need the entire GrandPrix/GrandAm/Grand LeMans style dash assembly along with it's style of dash harness to convert a standard LeMans over to style of rally guages used in the "GP" dash. Changing out dashes, will also need the correct ducts as well.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Flashflood, the last pic of the blue dash, is a base level LeMans dash with std gauges with a clock. As Jeff mentioned, you would need the entire GrandPrix/GrandAm/Grand LeMans style dash assembly along with it's style of dash harness to convert a standard LeMans over to style of rally guages used in the "GP" dash. Changing out dashes, will also need the correct ducts as well.
Okay no problem I thought so.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In addition to what Jeff said, EVERYTHING is different. I tried ordering a relay once for the air conditioning on my Can Am and the dealer could not find the correct one anywhere. It wasn't until I had the parts counter guy look in the book for a Grand Prix relay that we found it. When the factory put those Grand Prix dashes in the Can Am, the Grand Am, and the Grand LeMans, they installed them as an entire unit. ALL of the wiring and connections are "Grand Prix"...even the underhood stuff pertaining to the air/heater controls.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
In addition to what Jeff said, EVERYTHING is different. I tried ordering a relay once for the air conditioning on my Can Am and the dealer could not find the correct one anywhere. It wasn't until I had the parts counter guy look in the book for a Grand Prix relay that we found it. When the factory put those Grand Prix dashes in the Can Am, the Grand Am, and the Grand LeMans, they installed them as an entire unit. ALL of the wiring and connections are "Grand Prix"...even the underhood stuff pertaining to the air/heater controls.
Yeah, I found that out also by looking for parts
I'll still want to do it but my babies not even drivable yet so this is something I just wanted to look into before hand thank you for the info that's why I made the last post. I plan swapping a Can am dash over whenever one comes up for a I decent price!