THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X3 on the 'quality issues'. Fiat AND Mopar? A recipe for broken window regulators and falling headliners, IMO. I worked on a ton of Fiats the first time around, in the '70's and '80's, and they were notoriously unreliable. Just like Renaults. They lasted about 5 or six years before becoming ready for the scrapper. My theory is that the buyers of the new Fiats are too young to remember those cars, or weren't even born yet. So they don't have any idea that a Fiat may not be a good long term choice, no matter how 'cute' it is. By the same token, I worked on a ton of VW air cooled vehicles, as well as Toyotas and Datsuns of the era, and those cars held up extremely well. I've owned and driven many Mopars, and always had the same conclusion, weather it was a 1950's vintage or a 2000 vintage: nice drivetrain, but crappy fit/finish/quality control, and interiors that self destruct. Been like that for over 50 years, and now that they're in with Fiat, I wonder.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
In all fairness, taking a test drive vs ownership are two completely different things. Sure, Ill drive one and Im sure Ill be impressed. But ownership and the trails and tribulations of gong back for warranty work are totally different.
I agree to that.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
X3 on the 'quality issues'. Fiat AND Mopar? A recipe for broken window regulators and falling headliners, IMO. I worked on a ton of Fiats the first time around, in the '70's and '80's, and they were notoriously unreliable. Just like Renaults. They lasted about 5 or six years before becoming ready for the scrapper. My theory is that the buyers of the new Fiats are too young to remember those cars, or weren't even born yet. So they don't have any idea that a Fiat may not be a good long term choice, no matter how 'cute' it is. By the same token, I worked on a ton of VW air cooled vehicles, as well as Toyotas and Datsuns of the era, and those cars held up extremely well. I've owned and driven many Mopars, and always had the same conclusion, weather it was a 1950's vintage or a 2000 vintage: nice drivetrain, but crappy fit/finish/quality control, and interiors that self destruct. Been like that for over 50 years, and now that they're in with Fiat, I wonder.
The fit.. finish.. feel of my '09 Challenger(when MBZ owned Chrysler) is a whole lot better than a Camaro. I'm a GM guy...but the newer Chevys feel like junk to the touch.

Fix
It
Again
Tony

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Comparing the quality of cars built in the 1970s to those built today is a bit of a stretch.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a devoted GM guy,but my 12 Challenger,and my 15 Challenger have nothing in common with a 60,s and 70,s model Dodge. If you have driven one,and am not impressed,i would be surprised. The fact that my Scat Pack is as fast as my 67 GTO,which has a purpose built nhra motor,blows my mind.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Great statement.

The fairness of connecting these cars to the cars of the 70's? Thats tough. I know a guy whos a service tech a Fiat/Chrysler store. We always joke about the new Fiats about size. He always has something to say about quality. Its never very good.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Senior Chief

up here in Canada all the hellcats are being advertised at $100000+. I think msrp is 65000. i.m hoping to get a used one in a few years

Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
X4! My thoughts and experience with them as a technician. Fiat- Fix it again Tony-Renault Dauphines, 5s, 8s, 10s, etc=junk. Chrysler has always had great drivetrains, but the body hardware and interiors fell apart. They pretty much invented the non working door handles and window regulators that now seem to be commonplace on so many new cars.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Comparing the quality of cars built in the 1970s to those built today is a bit of a stretch.
That's why I took the time to post the last 3 years of the JD Powers 3 year dependability studies. It appears that time has not improved the quality of the Chrysler/Dodge product one bit - and in fact it may be worse.

For those that claim that the Challenger is a great car and the Camaro seems like junk - all I can say is that Chevy is above average in the dependability studies and Dodge is way below average.

These rankings were done after input from actual vehicle owners.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A 2010 Challenger R/T and a Durango 5.9 R/T reside here. While I like them, they are NOT on par quality wise with my Excursion or even my E-150 daily driver. The interiors are chinsy and a lot of it reminds me of the plastic "quality" design of an 80's K-car. The Durango is the older of these two but strangely it's as if it has a split personality: modern on the outside, dollar store switches and controls on the inside.

But I agree with the other post about the Camaros being worse. We looked at one before the Challenger and besides the interior being too cramped (front), the quality was horrendous. Even cheesier interior than the Mopar plus the hood felt like it was made out of tin foil. It had a half inch gap on one side and @3/16's on the other.

We joked that Chevy went too far with their retro design by even incorporating the build quality of the 70's models.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking C.A.F.E. is the reason behind restricting production to 2500 units.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 03-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking C.A.F.E. is the reason for restricting production to 2500 units. Hefty fine if Fiat/Chrysler fails to meet the average for its fleet.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Don't lie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
I am a devoted GM guy,but my 12 Challenger,and my 15 Challenger have nothing in common with a 60,s and 70,s model Dodge. If you have driven one,and am not impressed,i would be surprised. The fact that my Scat Pack is as fast as my 67 GTO,which has a purpose built nhra motor,blows my mind.
you're a SPEED guy!!! Personally...I'll just wait five years and buy one for half price with 300 miles on it. Rich guys get bored easily and will want the "Next Big Thing" by then. Cannot tell you how many folks I've watched lose their assets paying OVER sticker to be the first one to have...oh....Solstice...boosted Solstice...Anniversary 'Vette (pick one)..SSR....HHR...Challenger...Cobra...etc..

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

..regarding Chrysler quality, here is a headline from Fark.com today that is "related"

Coalition warplanes have now dropped 10,000 GPS guided smart bombs on ISIS targets. It's the first time bombs have come equipped with a guidance system since GPS became a standard feature on Chryslers

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 03-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gas Monkey is pouncing on this opportunity - selling Richard's personal car #12 built.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221719086427...;3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How much you think that car's been beaten in it's 888 miles?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM

I love my R/T but would love a HELL CAT. Unfortunately there's to many people getting stupid with them on the roads. That's a lot of car if you don't know how to drive it!!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Gas Monkey is pouncing on this opportunity - selling Richard's personal car #12 built.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221719086427...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That thing was beat hard, but then again that's what its made for!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221719086427...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The fact that the auction says "And the rear tires are new" says it all.