Old 01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

I thought of this as I recently had another GTO slip through my greedy fingers.

A local guy, friend of a friend, needs to sell his 69 GTO. It's got a pretty solid body from the firewall back. Most of the front clip was sold, along with the engine. So, its a solid body, but it is a GTO. The guy says he wants $1200. Not bad for what was there, but it didn't exactly make me want to whip out the check book. I said, I'll take a pass and the guy says he'd rather keep the car anyway. Everyone's happy.

Just got a call from my buddy and the guy sold the car for $400. I nearly died. Thank god I have my 70 or else I might have been upset. Somebody got a really killer deal on goat!!

Mike

Old 01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

I was told about a '70 GTO convertible that sold for something like $500 locally..........

Old 01-11-2005, 08:02 AM

A long time ago, 1979 or so, a buddy and I went to look at a 74 SD TA. It had a little abuse but was quite complete for around $3000. It was white with blue decals and interior (I think) with an automatic. I have been kicking myself for 26 years over that one. The price was fair for the time and place but I was a 21 year old with a 75 TA and no extra money. That may be the only time I get to test drive a SD...still bummed.

Bryan

Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

Speaking of T/A's I had a buddy who found a 71 T/A while doing some searching throught the farmlands of Illinois. My buddy and the owner agreed on a deal. My friend was to come back the next day and haul it home. Only when he came back, the owner and the car were gone. The owner got cold feet and decided to hide, along with the car. Needless to say, my friend is still pissed about that one!!

Mike

Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

had an ebayone slip away, not pontiac, but a good deal. 36 chevy sedan, needed resto, but original, complete, and ran and drove. no reserve and around $100 start. the guy loaded tons of pictures but none of them came up correct on the auction. I saved the pictures and opened them up on the computer, it looked well worth the money. had my bid at $350, 15 minutes before the end of the auction I was outbid, the only other bid. I waited till the last minute to outbid, and my computer crapped out. got back on just to see the auction ended. after kicking and screaming, I bought a new computer the next day.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:03 PM

I was looking for a 4spd '67 GTO convert once, I found one and started to ask about it when the guys phone rang, while he was on the phone I went out to look at it, found it totally stripped and had been hit hard just behind the drivers door. I went back in and because of what I saw, I never asked any further questions. A couple months later I found out that he had sold the car, as it turned out, it was a complete (in boxes) 1967 GTO convert, RamAir 4spd car loaded with tons of options. He sold it with a complete new frame and whole left side of another car. However, I later ended up buying a '67 HO, M21 4spd convert so all is not lost. ;-)

Oh ya, should I tell about the '69 Judge convert I sold in 1983 for a grand, naaa, cause that still makes me sick to think about it.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Al, that car is alive in a friend's shop down here in Vancouver. He is in the process of gathering NOS parts to do it right. He has been offered $80K as is sits, like you saw it.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Spring Carlisle in '83;

Complete tri-power setup for a hundred bucks.

I had the money but wanted other things first. I remember thinking "yeahhh, I can get one of those another time".

Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 AM

The ones that got away....

1. High school 1993/94. A kid in my class tells me about his 67 GTO that he brought up from his uncles farm down in Texas. I ask if he wants to sell it. He says no he is restoring it. Later on I found out he tried selling it and no one wanted it so he let it go to his neighbor for $500. I went to his neighbor but he wouldn't sell it. It was mostly a shell but was solid.

2. I actually owned this one. 1969 GP 428 H.O. automatic 3.55 open diff. Factory air shocks (missing). Power disc brakes. Black with no vinyl top and white interior. Solid Missouri car. Sold it for $1300 to a girl who was 4'11" and used it as daily transportation.

3. Recieved a claimed 66 tri-power intake and carbs as partial trade for a car I had. Throttle shafts were seized. Ended up selling it for $250.

Owner of TTA Performance specializing in performance and restoration parts for the 301 Turbo.

www.ttaperformance.com
Old 02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1969Judge

Here is my "one that got away" story...

I came across a '69 GTO Judge convertible back in 1986. I had wanted one of these for years but never thought I would find one, let alone locally. It was sitting on a used car lot that seemed to also sell muscle cars. It was a "field" car, had been sitting in some guys yard for 10 years, but it was fairly solid - though rusty, all the parts were there, it only had 43,000 miles on it, numbers matching everything, and it still ran! I even got to test drive it - awesome!!

$2500 was the firm asking price. Unfortunately, I only could come up with $1500 because I was in the middle of restoring my '71 Firebird at the time. He offered to take what I had as a deposit if I could come up with the rest ($1000) in a few weeks. I agreed, paid him, got my receipt, wrote down the VIN, and left to find a way to come up with the rest of the money.

Two weeks later I show up with the $1000 I still owed him. The car is gone and so is the owner of the place. I am told he is on vacation and the car is not on the lot because I had bought it. A week later I show up again. The place is closed. He went out of business, filed bankrupcy and took off. I later found out he sold the car to someone else for more money right after I bought it.

I was robbed of my dream car and my money. To make it worse, a few days later I received a package back from Pontiac (I had sent them the VIN) - they verified it was a real Judge convertible that was originally sold 20 miles from my house. I kicked myself for years for not getting a loan or borrowing the extra cash that day instead of waiting like I did...

Then there was the '69 T/A in the middle of a restoration, with ALL of the NOS parts (fenders, quarters, chrome, etc.) still in the boxes, for $2200 or best offer. I passed on that one at the time but I later regretted that decision also...

Scott

Old 02-09-2005, 10:01 PM

Bob,
Ya, I know, I've talked with him (Joe) a couple of times since. Have always regretted that one though. Should have asked Mark a little more about the car at the time. Mark says he told me but I would have sold the '67 plum mist convert to have gotten that car if I'd known it was a RA car. Not only that, Mark said it was featured in a magazine before it went to Canada to it's original owner too back in 1967.
Now if I could only find that '69 Judge convert I sold in 1983. I know where it was last seen so I'm going to go there and start asking questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BOB VIDAN:
Al, that car is alive in a friend's shop down here in Vancouver. He is in the process of gathering NOS parts to do it right. He has been offered $80K as is sits, like you saw it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I tell mine again.
1965;The Tin Indian 62SD complete for 1800.00 I had a paper route.I had it in my hand.
1968; 62SD complete,no title the guy was in jail.For 1800.00
1980; 63 SD Swiss Cheese Catalina complete with a dual quad RAV and the 421SD.Found out later it was the ROYAL car for 7000.00.My wife said when I found out ,why you didn't you take out a loan.yeah just married and I'm buying and old racecar.Got the guy in touch with someone who did buy it.These cars were nice. Oh well I am fortunate to have what I have.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 PM

There was a locally sponsored 63 Super Duty in the town I live in(Boaz,AL) when I was a kid. It was sponsored by San Ann gas stations and ran as the San Ann Special.It ran at Green Valley Dragstrip in Gadsden,AL and a lot of other tracks.The car used to be on display at the main San Ann station when it was not being raced and was very well known in this area. I got to know the owner of the car years ago and he told me he got tired of racing it and sold it in 1976 for $500.00. It was sold to a man in Centre,AL who owned an auto parts store and a lot of hot Pontiacs. It was supposedly sold to a collecter up north.Does anybody know anything about this car? I have access to pictures of this car in its racing heyday.This car was painted with pink and green accents as this was San Ann Gasolines colors. Across the decklid was painted :POWERED BY SAN ANN GASOLINE,which was funny to locals as San Ann had a bad rap for poor quality fuel and the fact that they were mixing nitro in the fuel for the race car.Would love to hear from someone that it is still alive and well.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was 17 I bought a rough 68 bird. 6 months later my buddy sold his pristine, unmolested 65 lemans for $2300 bucks. I could have died. If I'd have just waited 6 mos! This was in 1988. In 1990 I bought my 67 GTO for $1000. She didn't get away...

Old 03-08-2005, 10:42 PM

About 30 years ago, a 1954 Buick Skylark for $1800.00. I even test drove it. Could'nt make up my mind in time and missed it.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 PM

63 parisienne 2 dr hardtop, factory 327 4 barrel, running, driving, no rust, I called on a monday to ask about it, and by that friday my parents and I were going to head up there to inspect/posssibly buy it..he had sold it 30 minutes before I phoned

Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 PM

oh right..he was asking 1500 OBO..this was last november..

Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 PM

then there was the guy who wanted to GIVE us his 63 parisienne convertable parts car..complete with, if i remember, engine, a few hoods, lots of parts..all we had to do was go pick it up. We didnt have a trailer. THAT one really bugged me..

Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i sold my 77 t/a that needed work for $350.about 3 yrs ago.i can't stop thinking about it.went to an old bone yard i found about 10 yrs ago.the old guy says $200 every time i ask about a car.the best part is every car was early 70's and down.he had 5 or 6 gto's 66 & 67,10 or 12 lemans tempests,50's pontiac's,fords mopars,chevys,like a junk yard dream.back then i didn't have any money.i went back a couple yrs later.all gone.every thing.found out every thing was crushed for scrap.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1978 Gold SE Trans Am ....black interior, WS6 package, snowflakes, auto, air cond. 400 (recently rebuilt), etc etc. Bought this car from a friend (same friend who I bought my current car off of) for $200. It sat in the yard for 2 months and all we did with it was swap out the carb with the on on our 1980. We sold it to a guy in the county for $800. Car was in pretty good shape but definitely needed money put into it and we did not have the money. Had a lot of cancer spots on it so we decided to lket it go and last we heard, the guy put it on the road.