Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver
1. You cast the first stone. You didn't offer any useful advice, only snide comments directed towards anyone who, on a PONTIAC forum, didn't agree with putting a non-Pontiac motor in a Pontiac.
2. If you'd actually read the post, I was bashing you, not Matt, his attitude wasn't smarta$$ like yours is.
3. Your defintion of 'purist' and mine are evidently quite different.
4. Again, this is a PONTIAC forum, which tends to have people who are into PONTIACS like myself, so if you don't like it, go to one of the 1000s of Chevy forums.
5. As for my profile, at least I provide some honest information about myself, instead of hiding behind the typical "non-information" your profile has.
If we're going to base knowledge on what info is in a person's profile, I'd say you don't know squat about anything. Truth is, I'd put my knowledge and experience up against yours anyday.
6. Last, any....what was your word?.....oh yes, IDIOT, can butcher a car, a "real man" works with, and improves on, what is already there. Doing what you did to the car is worse than sending it to the crusher to us true Pontiac fans.

My profile was filled out with my car info i did not realize that when the redid the forums that the info was erased. sorry my bad.
my car runs 10.8 in non tubbed street trim (et streets, Mufflers) I kinda think that is quite a bit of squat to know.

I still fail to see how an engine that is BOLTED in destroys any thing.
I guess the air must be thin upon that high horse.
As far as you preaching that this is a pontiac forum.
OK i will give you that.
BUT what exactly did you expect to find in a section titled "NON PONTIAC MOTORS IN PONTIACS" does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that this section would have pontiac enthusiast like ME in here.
Like i said before answer the question asked .
If you would read ALL the posts atleast 50% contain absolutely NO useful information on the conversion.
except fot chipster,Mr pbody, jeff walker and to an extent puddles (who was polite in his opinion which i can respect when given that way) The rest of the replys are nothing but soap box, chest thumping bable.
IT does get awfully old in a NON PONTIAC MOTORS section.
All i got to say is Whatever,
have a nice day

Old 02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA454
My profile was filled out with my car info i did not realize that when the redid the forums that the info was erased. sorry my bad.
my car runs 10.8 in non tubbed street trim (et streets, Mufflers) I kinda think that is quite a bit of squat to know.

I still fail to see how an engine that is BOLTED in destroys any thing.
I guess the air must be thin upon that high horse.
As far as you preaching that this is a pontiac forum.
OK i will give you that.
BUT what exactly did you expect to find in a section titled "NON PONTIAC MOTORS IN PONTIACS" does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that this section would have pontiac enthusiast like ME in here.
Like i said before answer the question asked .
If you would read ALL the posts atleast 50% contain absolutely NO useful information on the conversion.
except fot chipster,Mr pbody, jeff walker and to an extent puddles (who was polite in his opinion which i can respect when given that way) The rest of the replys are nothing but soap box, chest thumping bable.
IT does get awfully old in a NON PONTIAC MOTORS section.
All i got to say is Whatever,
have a nice day
Since you insulted me based on what you read in my profile, I just returned the favor by using yours as a guide.

Of course, you haven't provided one useful comment yourself, so that makes you no different.

I'll give you the fact that is it the "Non-Pontiac motors in Pontiacs" section, but you didn't answer the question either, you just stirred the pot with your comments. I usually only reply if I can provide some useful input, but the way you worded your reply ticked me off. I saw at least 50% of the posts were anti-SBC comments as well, but again, this is where Pontiac lovers hangout. As we both know, if you ask, or even if you don't, you will get various opinions including yours and mine. In closing, I will say, from looking at your car on your website, it is a nice looking T/A and while I disagree on the route you could have taken with the car, it is your car and your are free to do anything you want to with it. Perhaps we can just agree to disagree. Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455

Last edited by Pontiacdaver; 05-30-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Senior Chief

if you're gonna put a chevy in a pontiac, at least put a big block... small blocks are boring and a crappy replacement for real pontiac power... unless you're installing an LS1 or something like that

Old 03-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Put the 400 Chevy in. Paint it Pontiac green. When they ask, say it's a 400. 90 percent of people won't know the difference.
If Chevy in a Pontiac is so wrong, why did GM do it?

Old 03-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH
Put the 400 Chevy in. Paint it Pontiac green. When they ask, say it's a 400. 90 percent of people won't know the difference.
If Chevy in a Pontiac is so wrong, why did GM do it?
You're right about the 90%, but the 10% of us who do know what we are looking at wouldn't like it, in that case, at least leave it Orange.
It's Blue, either solid or metallic, not green.
GM did it for cost cutting reasons.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Keep your chin up Matt

Matt, as a technology teacher and Pontiac enthusiast I encourage you whole heartedly for picking a great project. It'll be unique and really cool when you get it done. IMO only I'd keep the 350 and sell the chevy for many of the afore mentioned reasons. If you're in a tech school or Trades program - which I'm assuming you are, before you get into too much check with the dept head who hands auto tech and see if their schedule would allow them ( or hopefully you) to do the 350 while the body work is in progress. I'm sure you'd rather wrench on your engine yourself so talk to him and see if thats a possibility.

Good luck and check in often as we love to see pictures of restorations in progress and you're at a get place to learn now what will serve you well throughout your life.

Take car !!

1968 Lemans Convertible, Burgundy/Parchment 1968 428YH motor, ported#16 heads, Crosswinds intake, Cliff Ruggle built 750 cfm Qjet, Comp Cams XE268-110 lobe sep. Duration at .050" lift 224/230, M20, 3:23 rear, PS, PB. Best time with need mods: 14.0071 in the 1/4 mile at 100.00 mph

Last edited by techteacher5561; 03-17-2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Smoking Tires

CHEVY IN A PONTIAC, THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going to be a fun cruiser, ready for summer 2009 with a small block chev, while I fully rebuild the 455
Old 03-23-2006, 02:47 PM

Matt,

1. It's your car and you can do what you like with it.

2. This IS a Non-Pontiac Motors in Pontiac subforum, so yours is a fair question, I hope you have found suitable answers, despite the pi$$ing match going on in this thread.

3. Like others here, I personally think having a Chevy motor in your Tempest would be lame and suck.

4. Our opinions don't matter, it's your car and you can do what you like with it.

Enjoy your Tempest!

Old 03-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Tires
At least half of that is right!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Tires
I saw the difference between a bone stock 400 in a 68 bird and a slightly modified Chevy street 400, in the same car. When the guy bought the car, with the Pontiac engine, he drove it like a chebby and evetually kicked the rods at the track, but it ran a mid 12. Then he put in his "HOT" Chevy engine in it and it ran low 14s. He only brought the car to the track twice with the Chevy in it and he never came back.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that is why alot of guys think Pontiac motors are not reliable, because they try to drive them like a chevy motor. They are designed to make power at low revs, and they do make alot more power at low revs. You just have to get it through your head to use it and set the car up to use it. There is a guy that comes to our cruise ins with a 66 GTO that is tubbed and has a 454 in it. It almost dies when he launches it because he has som much traction, he drives it alot on the street and it is a really nice car. Only problem is, my 400, 67 GTO would eat it in the 1/8 or in the 1/4, and mine was just as streetable and running on 255/60 BFGs. Sorry GM. Shoulda stuck with the blue metallic.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Suspended

The cost of machine work is the same regardless of engine brand. On your 350 Pontiac, it shares the same rings with a 283 sbc, so there is no cost difference there. Email me and I'll beat anybodies price on the bearings, as they cost me the same as chev bearings. Now the only difference is pistons as valvetrain parts cost the same from the cam companies, it's just a pain getting it for the same money from shops and warehouses. Bucks down? An intake that is used but not full of stripped holes is just as good performance wise as a new one of the same make, ( performer rpm used vs. performer rpm new). Carb is same cost. Ignition is nearly same cost, if you THINK you must buy an aftermarket distributor. Wires and plugs are same cost, as is ignition boxes. And how much was the parts to convert it to a chev engine? There isn't much difference in total cost and we can make a Pontiac engine spank torqueless chevies all day long and last longer doing it. The Pontiac 350 takes a little different approach, but it can do it.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Suspended

WD, I have seen that happen too many times, but until it happens to the one thinking he has to go the chevy engine, they won't listen. Maybe that is why I enjoy my Vega and S10 with the Pontiac engines so much. Hey TA454, can you keep up? Not running as slow as 10's you won't. ( Just afriendly little couldn't resist stirring the pot right back at ya.) I am curious TA454, if a guy had a Pontiac engine avalible for you that would allow your TA to run into the nines in the otherwise same trim you run 10.8's with the 454, would you switch it back to a Pontiac powered ride? You do have a nice car by the way.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

go quick,
already been there done that with ta454. he tried to state the "lower price quotient". i shot that down, since im an eagle dealer(see 455v 454 thread)- he responded with anger and frustration, his credibility in question.
can you please give us something else to yuck, yuck?
show me state cheers
jim

Old 05-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Suspended

7T2, Are you going to be at K.C.I.R. next weekend for the Nos. meet? My Vega should be there, easy to spot with flamed paint and of course a Pontiac engine for power. Since my chassis guy never got to some rule compliant updates, I might have to either load it on the trailer early ( if it's a really good feeling pass, I'm not lifting!) or slow it down. I'll be there with my neighbor and his red primed 60 Falcon., so our pit area should be easy to spot.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

go quick,
sorry- dont get up that way much. since im in springfield, i either run at rogersville or Mokan. next year i will be expanding my perimeter in lieu of new products. very exciting stuff that i can pm you about if youre interested.
jim

Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You're right about ta454, I think he just comes here to stirr the pot. He started the pi$$ing match by insulting me, but when he ran out of ammo, and I PM'd him to clear the air, he was too much of a punk to even respond. Oh well, it takes all kinds. Daver

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 07-14-2006, 10:29 AM

damm you pontiac guys are going to chop my head off then.,i got a nice 74 gto and i did put a sbc in it.,.i LOVE my pontiac gto but i did not like the 400 pon motor in it. so it had 2 go,now heres the kick in the nuts part.my motor has a duel quad intake on it.so now i cant find a old hood 2 cut up.or do i cut the good one i have(shaker hood) wich i dont want to do.(but i will if i have to ).,so feel free to bash me iam a man and can take it.,lol.,lol.,

ps iam ,looking 4 a hood 4 a 74 gto or ventura.,.,.,.,thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kiop.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	58924   Click image for larger version

Name:	mnbgh.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	58925  

Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM

Cool

I think it would be easier to sell the gto clip and put a nova front clip on with a fiberglass hood. What you got in there? is that one of those "summit" tunnel ram kits w/450 holleys? You got a 305 or 283 w/double humps and a bracket master cam? That is a good combo and may get you in the 14's like a guy I know with a chevelle.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Pittbull; Yep, put a built tunnel rammed slow block chevy in a car and brag how it runs compared to a stock Pontiac engine. What does it run at the track? A sbc won't compete with a simularly built Pontiac engine. Like it or not, that's how it is. BTW, I came back to Pontiac power after going too damn slow with built chevies, both slow block and big slow blocks. Ever have a 8-71 blown 496 inch bbc in your ride? I did in a pro street monza. When it flew apart, I still had a 455 Pontiac laying around so in it went. Compared to the previous 2 chevy engines without blowers, the Pontiac would kick their butts all day long. You think a chevy engine was the way to go, but tell us what is in it. Then do an equally built Pontiac. The chevy will be slower.