Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nicely said Bigdaddy, I also have a Pontiac with Canadain Pontiac engine in it, (SBC), Mine never had the correct engine either and SBC was readily available compared to the Pontiac engine ( in my location). My car is not stock, but it's mine to do whatever I would like to do with, and I also thought that's what this section of the board is all a bout is it not, Non Pontiac Engine In Pontiac?? Just another 2 cent to play with.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Thanks Lemans64, and yes, I am sure that this is the section on this forum where it says Non Pontiac Engines.
I cannot see why any Pontiac guy would bash this young man for wanting to bring back another old GM Muscle Car. I have two teenagers, one 15 and one 18 and have raised my 18 year old son to love and respect the true old Muscle Cars of the past. He actually gave me my 70 LeMans as this years Fathers Day present, and currently is driving his own 78 Chevy Z28 Camaro-my Graduation present to him... with a 383 stroker he build all by himself at the age of 17 !!!!
Sadly, the majority of our young teenagers now had rather play and spend all their money on Ricers. I know this for a fact because I have watched several of my sons buddies haul off our old Muscle Cars to the scrap yard so they can get some quick cash to buy some bolt on crap for their Ricers....
Everyone on this forum should be wholeheartedly supporting our young guys for Whatever they want to do with the old Muscle Cars. My personal preference finds that when I walk through car shows, the stock, plain jane all original cars have no interest to me. Its the guys that do the Custom and Innovative stuff to their cars that gets my attention.
I say Matt, build your ride to represent YOU, not what the general population would have you do!!!! If you put your heart and soul into your ride, then it will all work out in the end for you. Good luck with your build. Hope to see pics of it soon.
I guess this sort of puts me up to about my 4 cents worth now on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64
Nicely said Bigdaddy, I also have a Pontiac with Canadain Pontiac engine in it, (SBC), Mine never had the correct engine either and SBC was readily available compared to the Pontiac engine ( in my location). My car is not stock, but it's mine to do whatever I would like to do with, and I also thought that's what this section of the board is all a bout is it not, Non Pontiac Engine In Pontiac?? Just another 2 cent to play with.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, I thought this thread died out a year ago.

BigDaddyJC, I completely agree with your thoughts on many of today's teens. My son, 16, can't stand ricers. I can even understand younger guys having no knowledge of what real Pontiac engined cars are about, they haven't put one in a Pontiac for almost 29 years. But, maybe that is one reason why it is important to keep the faith alive.
Example: I have always been a diehard Richard Petty fan, he retired in 1992, my son was born in 1991. He knows who he is, and what his accomplishments were, but wasn't around to experience it, so he sees him in a completely different way.

Lemans64, and BigDaddyJC, at least for me personally.......I like most cars, but I like them with the family of engines that came in them. After all, Chevys, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, and Buicks each have their own distinct qualities (before GM decided to ruin that in the late 70s), that's why each has it's own following. And I have nothing against Canadian Pontiacs, that is how they were built.

Bottom line is this: This is a Pontiac forum, and yes, there is a topic covering "Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs", and most importantly, what you do to your own car, is entirely your business, but I wouldn't expect guys on a Pontiac forum to happily accept hearing about a Chevy engine in a Pontiac. It may be more common to hear "Ford vs Chevy", but inside GM, it has, and always will be Pontiac vs Chevy.
Try going to a Chevy forum, and talk about your Ford powered Camaro, or a Mustang forum with your SBC engined Fox body, and see what kind of reception you get.
I think we Pontiac enthusiasts are tired of always getting Chevy powered Pontiacs rammed down our throats by Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, and the like, because when they do feature a Pontiac, it is almost always Chevy powered. Especially since nowadays there are many high-quality Pontiac-powered Pontiacs updated with the latest suspension and brake technology, custom interiors, etc.. I don't consider putting a Chevy engine in another make of car being innovative.

I realize it is cheaper to build a Chevy motor, heck I think Wal-Mart sells rebuild kits for them now, and that is the basic reason there are so many more of them out there.
I'm on as limited a budget as anyone on this forum, but if I were going to build a Chevy motor, I wouldn't put it in anything but a Chevy car.

That last statement was entirely, and absolutely, hypothetical.

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 PM

Wow, guess I did not know that there was such a division within the GM platform of vehicles.
Everyone has their own opinion, so I can respect them all. I can agree that to restore a car to its original condition one should keep it all Pontiac if at all possible.
I am going to keep on my project though just as planned, and continue to have lots of fun with my build on the street and at the local Drag Strip.
My view on GM is stricly body styles and how they hold up at the track. I dont build my engines conventional anyway, so the SBC platform for me is the only way go because there is such a large selection of options and performance parts to play with. I am sure Pontiac has its share also, but I just really have had better luck with the SBC. Once I get tired of tuning on the SBC 400 I have just finished building, the next engine my Pontiac will get is the BBC 572 anyways with a narrowed and tubbed rear axle-(I'll just refrain from naming the type other than its a 9" RP) and adjustable 4 link system....

Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hhhmmmm...so when i put a SBC... painted Ford red..backed by a Dodge tranny in my Pontiac who am i going to piss off the most?

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no malice intended but who gives a crap about anything but a real pontiac on this pontiac site?Tom

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s
no malice intended but who gives a crap about anything but a real pontiac on this pontiac site?Tom
Amen to that!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Suspended

What Tom said.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sooo then, what are you last three guys EVEN looking at this section of the forum for???

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker
Sooo then, what are you last three guys EVEN looking at this section of the forum for???

Amen to that.

What Jeff said.

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just interested in who was going to ruin a good pontiac!Tom

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep, just seein' who owns, but doesn't get, the whole reason for owning a Pontiac. Maybe when they grow up, they'll get it.

BTW, anyone else like Jim Wanger's Ponte Carlo?

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver
Yep, just seein' who owns, but doesn't get, the whole reason for owning a Pontiac. Maybe when they grow up, they'll get it.

BTW, anyone else like Jim Wanger's Ponte Carlo?

lol...and what exactly is the "whole reason for owning a pontiac?"

also, im not sure if im capable of picking out what i want to wear tomorrow..i was hoping you guys can tell me.

-A mind is like a parachute....it only works when it is open.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Having owned over a dozen chevy powered race cars, pro street cars, I like to see who hasn't figured out that chevy engines are way overrated.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Chief

Jeeez! Lock this thread already.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
Having owned over a dozen chevy powered race cars, pro street cars, I like to see who hasn't figured out that chevy engines are way overrated.
I know im a little late on jumping into this thread but..

fwiw, im not putting one because i think it more powerful/better/cooler than a Pontiac...i just want to run twins and its real difficult to do with a big fat asss pontiac motor hoggin up the whole engine bay....dont get me wrong, looks cool, but to me, at this point in my life, not as cool as twin turbs on a SBC. not to mention the cost/options and availability ease of building a SBC. Hell, i needed some header gaskets for my pontiac just the other day.....no one stocks them locally (well one guy does in san pedro but he wasnt answering his phone that day ) so my car sat there for 3 days as i waited to get my 17 dollar gaskets (plus 10.95 handling) delivered from summit....now if i had a SBC i can go ANYWHERE and pick some up.

Besides, its not like people who do this swap are welding the damn SBC's to the frame...all its going to take is for someone to loosen some bolts and pull it out.... geez

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Suspended

6D6GOAT, It is actuly easier to do the twin turbo set up with the Pontiac vs. the sbc. Been there done that. The sbc has issues too. And a 67 chevelle is close to under hood area of your GTO. Why haven't you switched to copper exhaust gaskets? Install once and forget 'em. Do your twin turbos with a Pontiac engine, or buy a chevelle.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

how in the world can u say that running twins with a pontiac is easier than a SBC given the funky head (exhaust side) design of a pontiac. not to mention the width of the pontiac motor. i cant even see how to run the down pipe on the drivers side given the lack of room let alone the limited space in between the heads and the frame for the manifolds.
I have spent alot of time trying to figure out how to run twins or even a big single on a pontiac and it seems sooooooo much easier with a SBC.

what are the issues with a SBC?

PS. as for copper gaskets ive read mixed results on them. Im happy with the fel pros. i had to swap them out not because they were leaking but because i used non-sensor safe silicone on them and it ruined my O2 sensor. (i thought everything was sensor safe nowadays )

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 07-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Suspended

Very easy to say that it is easier with a Pontiac than a sbc. The sbc has a side exit just under the valve cover, just barely above the spark plugs. Now you can either burn the valve covers or the plug wires. With the Pontiac,You don't have either issue. As for no room, that's bunk. There is plenty of room. With a twin tubo set up, you should be placing them forward of the engine right? Or else on top, which while making only a couple hp better, won't allow you to do any thing on top (regardless of engine brand) if you say break a rocker arm. Sounds like you are looking for an off the shelve header arrangement of which there is no such thing for either type engine with turbo set ups. If you want manifolds, that's easy, just turn them around from normal, but why would you? On your style frame, The forward cylinders are very easy to run the tubes from, even easier than the set back sbc. The second pair of cylinders would turn down at a slight angle while going forward. Same with the rear middle cylinders. The rear tube can come forward after dropping down. Those would run along the frame rails with a slight bend back toward the block after it gets under the middle cylinders tubes. Not hard, just some thought and a little time. And it is alot cleaner looking than any sbc ever could be. Do you need me to do them for you?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker
Since I know of a person pulling out a 400 Pontiac, and puting in a 400 sbc, and loosing almost 2 seconds, I thought I'd try to keep some one else from making a big mistake.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08