Old 10-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Christmas in October

Another G Body is coming ! I just bought this: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=572221 It will get the 455/TH400/12bolt that is sitting at my shop that was going in my 78 Grand Am that was stolen. Yea baby! -Jim

Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Look's GOOD! Now you have a use for the IA headers!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchbro View Post
Look's GOOD! Now you have a use for the IA headers!!!
I know. I am sorry. I also have a use for all the Iceman stuff I bought off ebay. I have his TH400 crossmember and upper/lower g body 12 bolt adapter cross arms. I have basically everything except a radiator. What do you think about this setup: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tab%3DWatching -Jim

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM

I have a standard type 4 core in my GA. I ran a Grand National electric fan on it for a bit but have gone back to a clutch fan and shroud. I have the upper core support mount and fan if there is anybody interested. For the money the setup your looking at look's like a good deal!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GNFAN 001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	183881  

Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim, I was under the impression that you had already put the big motor in the Grand Am before it got stolen.
Was the 'ole 301 still in the car? Wow, it was holding up good, with close to 150K.

That GP looks nice. I like the rare viscount seats.

Tom

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Jim, I was under the impression that you had already put the big motor in the Grand Am before it got stolen.
Was the 'ole 301 still in the car? Wow, it was holding up good, with close to 150K.

Tom
Yea Tom, the 301 was still rockin along. I was lucky with the 455, first time being lazy paid off for me-LOL. Tom I thought the seats must be aftermarket or from another model. I have never heard of Viscount seats. Were they an option in 79? Thanks -Jim

Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post

Tom
Sorry to hear about your Buick, hope you get it back unmolested and soon. -Jim

Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those are the factory optional leather seats. At least I think they were leather only.

I've only seen a couple cars in the flesh with them, and only about a dozen all together, in magazines or on the internet. I don't know if they were '79 only, 78-79, or 78-80.
I think the only times I have seen them, it was always a 1979 car. I think it might have also been Pontiac specific. I have seen a couple '79 Grand Ams with them.

Hope you can get a build sheet for the car. It's somewhat a rarity with those seats.

Tom

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
Yea Tom, the 301 was still rockin along. I was lucky with the 455, first time being lazy paid off for me-LOL. Tom I thought the seats must be aftermarket or from another model. I have never heard of Viscount seats. Were they an option in 79? Thanks -Jim
Glad you didn't lose the drivetrain as well, and it looks like you got another nice car to put it in too. I can't wait to start building my 80 Lemans but I can't put down the 265 in it. I have put over 13K on it since January, it hasn't missed a beat and I'm getting a little over 20mpg with it. It is a dog, but an economical one at least.
The Viscount seats were the leather, top-option seats available in GPs from, I think, 1978-80. If you look in the 79 sales brochure (I have one around here somewhere), you'll see them in one of the GPs. I think they are fairly rare, I noticed it has tach and gauges too.
-Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice cars.
Bought a 78 in 89 with 79K miles.
Be sure to check the rear frame rails.
Was get'n ready to install a 400/th350/8.5 10 bolt when i noticed they where rusted thru.
Thier not boxed closed.
Shame to cause there was no body rust.
Guy down the road bought and drove it for years without probs.
That 301 was still go'n strong at 150k.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Jim I'm glad to see that Prix going to a good home. It's a twin to one a buddy of mine had to give up in a divorce several yrs ago. He missed the car but said it was worth the loss.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM

jim i have aluminum front bumper reinforcement and what are you doing with the 301 i may be interested chuck

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by desbird View Post
jim i have aluminum front bumper reinforcement and what are you doing with the 301 i may be interested chuck
Chuck, I sent you a PM. -Jim

Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Congrats on a Good Buy! Looks like a Great Place to Start Jim!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, checked it out a little today. The frame is great as are all of the other body parts. Looks like it was undercoated when it was new, some of that is peeling but otherwise it looks great underneath, it must have spent a large portiion of it's life in a garage. Next was the magnet check, no bondo but guess what I did find? The hood is aluminum!! Also it has an aluminum filler between the trunk and rear window. How rare is the aluminum hood? This baby also has a nice factory 6000 rpm tach and real guages. Also found a huge front swaybar! I can only imagine what a great car this would have been if Pontiac had offered a 455 in it. Oh well, I am here to correct that mistake!! I am VERY happy, thanks Scott!! -Jim

Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your Due Jim! Good Score!! Makes me want to go check the hoods on my 2 GPs! Did yours have the aluminum radiator support and possibly the rear sway bar as well? Ive heard the aluminum hoods are rare....I'm glad you ended up with it and look forward to hearing the results when the 455 takes up residence! I'm buttoning mine up over the winter hopefully.....rearend, swap A/C to non-A/C, get rid of the damn APC racing seats, install floor shifter, update stereo.....

Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My sister had a '78 Cutlass with the aluminum hood. I wasn't aware of the aluminum radiator supports at the time, so I never knew if that car had one.

Don't know if I ever saw a 78-80 GP with the aluminum bonnet.
I would guess Jim's GP has the rear sway bar, if it has the fat front piece.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM

Aluminum body panels were pretty common in that era.

Most of the bumper supports have rotted away.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a related note; I seem to remember someone on Ebay or Maliburacing was making the bumper supports or brackets out of aluminum and selling them.

Last edited by Pontiacmuscle; 10-29-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: missed an 'o'
Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, those seats are original, lots of them in my Pontiac loving city had leather. The 79 sales were better than 78, since buyers got used to the downsizing from '77.