57K plus for a 74 GTO!455 but still crazy money IMO.Tom

Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

That was a hell of a buy for that car.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lot of money for a Pontiac nova IMO.Tom

Old 01-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Crazy money is right. Just depends on whose in the room.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dci View Post
That really sucks !!! He not only didn't get what he wanted, but had to pay $4000.00 plus in sellers fee's and the fee to be in the auction. Barret Jackson is hurting our hobby with these inflated numbers because when someone see's that $39,000 that's all they see. In reality the seller only netted around $34,000. That's a far cry from his asking price of $45,000. I'm sure if he knew or thought about the end result he would have much rather sold the car here to fellow Pontiac enthusiast for that price. On the other side of the coin though. He did get to experience the lights and camera's on the run way.
Actually I was able to negotiate a lower % or I was willing to bring it home. Mecum will work with you like that. Did I get what I wanted? No, I didn't but I got what the market seemed willing to bear at the time.

"I absolutely love Jerry's car. What might have kept the bids down was the column shift automatic."

Yes, I believe the automatic hurt the sale of the car. Also I believe I should have reinstalled the factory tripower and pulled the dual carbs and ram air pan and just kept them.

Honestly there were a couple of 67's there that were probably nicer than mine. The rest of the early cars were not. Most were drivers at best. `And a large % of all the cars had issues. The restorations may have been very nice, but they had issues with being correct. Buyers had better do their homework!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
57K plus for a 74 GTO!455 but still crazy money IMO.Tom
I spent a lot of time looking over that car and talking with the owner. Claiming to be a 7700 original mile car, and it may have very well been. The interior still had that original 70's smell, something you can't reproduce. It wasn't a 455SD. It was supposedly a 74 455HO block and heads. IIRC the engine code was YY which, at quick check, showed up as a 74 455 engine. I couldn't find any casting code on the heads. The owner told me he had used two different year model Ram Air exhaust manifolds to get them to fit. The resto was first class all the way. Yes it was probably world record money, but it was a world record car. I dropped out at 40k.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry,that number is more like I would have expected.57 was the hammer price as I remember so buyer was in the car for 60 plus,that's a tall number.I know you would not be able to do one for that but for that money you could get what I would consider a better ROI with a 69-70 car.Tom

Old 01-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Jerry,that number is more like I would have expected.57 was the hammer price as I remember so buyer was in the car for 60 plus,that's a tall number.I know you would not be able to do one for that but for that money you could get what I would consider a better ROI with a 69-70 car.Tom
Seller claimed he had over 100k in the restoration of the car. He claimed he used only NOS parts, no repops.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Yeah, I love this '65 GTO, but I would only want it with a 4-spd(or 5-spd?) stick shift. Someone got a beauty!