Old 11-24-2003, 08:34 AM

as i said i have big problems and not a lot of pontiac experience. i picked up a 76 trans am that recently got a new motor but was allowed to sit in a field for 4 years before i even knew about it and had to save it from the crusher. all i paid for it was the 30 bucks to pay some guy to tow it. the body is a little rough, but fixable, but my problem is the fact that the motor is seized up and i have no idea where to go from there, i need a new carb, and dont know what to do about the motor. it's a pontiac motor: (valley pan is a big clue) i dont have the tools to pull the motor, and i hope i dont have to anyway, i got most of the top end torn apart, but can't get the manifold bolts out and i'm stuck there how do i decipher the engine codes to know what parts to buy if i need them, and what should i do next???

sex should be like driving a honda: slow, obscene, and loud enough for your neighbors to hear

Old 11-24-2003, 08:34 AM

as i said i have big problems and not a lot of pontiac experience. i picked up a 76 trans am that recently got a new motor but was allowed to sit in a field for 4 years before i even knew about it and had to save it from the crusher. all i paid for it was the 30 bucks to pay some guy to tow it. the body is a little rough, but fixable, but my problem is the fact that the motor is seized up and i have no idea where to go from there, i need a new carb, and dont know what to do about the motor. it's a pontiac motor: (valley pan is a big clue) i dont have the tools to pull the motor, and i hope i dont have to anyway, i got most of the top end torn apart, but can't get the manifold bolts out and i'm stuck there how do i decipher the engine codes to know what parts to buy if i need them, and what should i do next???

sex should be like driving a honda: slow, obscene, and loud enough for your neighbors to hear

Old 11-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might try spaying a penetrant like PB Blaster on the bolts. Also in the engine bores,trying to loosen it up.

The ID code will be on the front passenger side of the block below the head.
There will be a 6 - 7 digit number,and a 2 digit code.The 2 digit code is the one you need.

Look here for more info.
Engine Codes

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-27-2003, 05:52 PM

AN EASY WAY TO JUST FIND OUT THE ENGINE SIZE (ITS A START) IS TO LOOK RIGHT BELOW OR TO THE SIDE OF THE FUEL PUMP. THE ENGINE SIZE IS CAST INTO THE ENGINE BLOCK. ALSO, IF YOU'RE ABLE TO GET THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF, LOOK UNDER THE VALEY PAN AND THERE SHOULD BE A "00" FOR A 400 OR A "55" FOR A 455 ETC., FOR THE ENGINE SIZE. LOOK ON THE BACK OF THE PASSENGER SIDE BACK OF THE BLOCK RIGHT ABOVE WHERE THE ENGINE BOLTS TO THE TRANNY AND GET THAT CASTING # (IT SHOULT BE 6 NUMBERS I THINK), AND CALL AUTO ZONE. THEY TELL ME EVERYTIME I CALL EM AND GIVE 'EM A NUMBER I NEED DECIPHERED.

ANYTHING BUT PONCHO POWER IN A PONCHO IS BLASPHEMY!!