Old 03-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default a princely sum.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
When people say change the interior color. Does that mean recover, dye dash, new carpet headliner, belts, and the small stuff. That's a bit less than than all new, but then lose original.

Either way it's big coin for interior redo. Some of those parts are impossible to find...

I know some have done interiors. What's the costs thoughts?
...this is the first time I actually added some things up...I cannot believe I spent almost as much on the interior as the cost of the car!?...just the basics IMO are new foam $420,seat covers $540door panels $390,headliner $150,carpet & sound deadner $200, is $2000...I feel that the LEGENDARY products are comparable to what was new on our cars and if GM still sold replacement parts that is what you would get...LEGENDARY has some 2nd gen O.E.M. seat covers & doorpanels for sale (evidently they purchased them to study)...if I had left my interior alone the standard seat covers & door panels were quite boring and to buy them new at the same cost of deluxe just did not make sense and so I got the new custom interior that I wanted (and I will add ashtrays & that dash grab handle to make the transformation complete...and new seat foam made a difference compared to the original...I did make some mistakes over 20 years ago...when I removed the interior I just assumed new carpet fit perfect and tossed my original (that really was not bad)..I got a original 72 blue one that I dyed...if there is a perfect fitting Firebird new carpet out there please tell me who makes it & where can I get it...the reproduction rear interior plastic panels molded in black only (where the ashtray mounts) are rivals to the GM part...AMES still has some GM pieces molded in clear for sale...some parts are not as perfect (upper interior sail panels) and I used my originals...my right hand kick panel had been replaced at the dealer and was not even painted (it was left in a molded dark blue)...so I replaced them both and those parts too are o.k. as they are molded in black (the color of my interior) but the original GM tooling was better...the repo steering wheels are disappointing...black is the easiest interior to restore(I think white is next) and I can only think of the work involved dealing with a color interior that someone wants showroom new

Last edited by transam1972; 03-14-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been pondering the interior on my '70 from bright blue to black. I was figuring $2-2500 because I need to replace the dash.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had green interior stuff pro dyed to black with very good results. Issue if you ever deep scratch showing bottom color is only negative. Changing color TO black is easiest change as black interior parts seem easiest to find, and survive often. When redo interior you usually do seats, so not issue, and often door panels, and often carpet, and often headliner. so on a beat interior you are really talking the "other" stuff to dye or source. On 70-72 the side window trim and pillars are metal, so paint no big deal. Dash be the killer and $$$.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
I've been pondering the interior on my '70 from bright blue to black. I was figuring $2-2500 because I need to replace the dash.
...if you can get that replacement dash (1970-77) I saw some photos of it on TRANS AM COUNTRY...it really looked nice!!..they say the grain is correct and the fit was fine...I am certain that work with patience would yield a fantastic end result...new is new and some of the reproduction parts that are being offered to us are very important to a 40 plus year old muscle car...when I got my seats back from the trim shop and put them in that was a great feeling (and showroom new smell!!)...now if I can only get it painted!?...71GP76TA if you do go all black it will be the least frustrating and with what parts are available you can get a show winning interior...just an example: a new console (auto or manual) comes in black only and paint to match (which really is not how the factory did it)...luckily I got a new GM console just because...but I believe that the reproduction console would match mine in quality...so anyway best of luck if you do it!!