Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Jimbro727
Default $3k '79 Firebird Formula - (Good) Deal or No Deal?

I posted this over in the lobby, but I thought this might get some attention from bird owners who could give some input..

Hey guys! It's been a while -- convertible season is over, and I'm sad that I don't have something to tinker with over the winter, so I looked around and found this 1979 firebird formula for sale locally.. I just wanted to know if you guys thought it was a good deal or not.. I'm not looking for an amazing steal, I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying..

First, here's what the seller has to say about the car in his ad:

Quote:
HOT ROD! 1979 Firebird Formula!
HURST 4-SPEED - LIMITED PRODUCTION MODEL

JUST INSTALLED SUPED-UP CHEVY SMALL BLOCK 350 CRATE ENGINE!
LOTS OF EXTRA HORSEPOWER!!!

Priced below market value. Vehicle has clear title and in GREAT condition! Practically rust free & original stock engine available to go with sharp classic bird. LOTS of new parts and horsepower upgrades. Including...

HIGH PERFORMANCE Cam & Lifters, Flow Tech Headers, Summit Racing Aluminized Dual Exhaust, HIGH PERFORMANCE EDELBROCK 4-Barrel Carburetor, New New Clutch Kit including Disc - Bearing - Flywheel, HIGH PERFORMANCE EDELBROCK Aluminum Intake with Breather and Wing-nuts, Aluminum EDELBROCK Fin-Style Valve Covers, HIGH PERFORMANCE Timing Chain, Chrome Oil Pan, Chrome Timing Cover, Chevy Chrome Bolt Dress-Up Kit, Waterpump, Fuel Pump, Oil Pump, Ignition Wires and Plugs, Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks, includes new uninstalled head liner & MORE!

Fully Drive-able! This vehicle needs limited work for full restoration! I’ve invested over $6,000 into car, but must sell due to re-location.
My loss is your gain!

Now, I inspected the car the other day.. and here's what I have to say:
  • The only rust is a tiny bit on the trunk, along the edge of the trunk lid, you can see the paint starting to bubble.. there's also some bubbling on the body pieces that the firebirds have in front of each wheel well (I'm drawing a blank on what that's called )
  • The nose is peeling.. I might drive it through the winter that way, but it will need to be painted eventually.
  • Other than the nose, the paint is excellent! I don't believe it's original, because there are absolutely no decals, unless there was some sort of delete option for this.
  • Underneath the car it has absolutely no rust.. no rot.. everything looks perfect
  • the interior is pretty good.. it could use a new steering wheel, or a cover, or something.. seats look used, but there are no tears.. there's a crack in the dash.. and that's pretty much it, it could just use a cleaning inside.
  • He told me he took out the original engine and put in the crate 350, I decoded the VIN and it was a 4.9L, so his story checks

In the ad he was asking $4k, and it says $4400 on the car... I eventually got out of him that he was really looking for around $3200.. and we settled on $3k, IF he puts on a new set of BFG radials, so I figure that's $300 right there.

At first I thought that the Chevy block was a downside, but my purposes are to have some fun muscle to drive that I can tinker with, and the reality is that the chevy sbs are cheap to work on. He mentioned in the ad that he has the original block, but he hasn't mentioned that to me, so I have to get the details on that.

So what do you guys think? He's going to get back to me tomorrow to confirm that he can do $3k (he's checking on tire prices and making sure he can get someone to put them on, because he either owns or works for a shop).. so if you guys could give some input before then, that'd be great!

Thanks!

--Jimmy

---CARS---
1978 Pontiac Firebird T/A - Martinique blue/blue interior - 400 bored .030 over and stroked with an Eagle kit to 458, SRP forged pistons, Eagle crank, 6x heads, comp cams springs, comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam, TH-350, and a Jeff Walker Q-Jet.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982177
Old 11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like fair deal if you can live with the "chevvy engine" in a 2ndgen bird.
I have NO PROBLEM with those engines, but they are much better suited to a Camaro application.

My call is, MOST of the guys on this board would consider that car to be UNDESIRABLE because of the chev engine.

At a car show/cruise in,the Pontiac guys will walk right past it once they spot the engine & chevy guys will say "waste of a good engine"

If you can get past THAT,you should be OK!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S
It sounds like fair deal if you can live with the "chevvy engine" in a 2ndgen bird.
I have NO PROBLEM with those engines, but they are much better suited to a Camaro application.

My call is, MOST of the guys on this board would consider that car to be UNDESIRABLE because of the chev engine.

At a car show/cruise in,the Pontiac guys will walk right past it once they spot the engine & chevy guys will say "waste of a good engine"

If you can get past THAT,you should be OK!
ya I guess I can.. as long as it's fun for me to drive I'll be happy.. plus if I get the original engine, i'll build it up, put it back in, take out the 350 and use it to power the chevelle that's been sitting in my yard entirely too long

---CARS---
1978 Pontiac Firebird T/A - Martinique blue/blue interior - 400 bored .030 over and stroked with an Eagle kit to 458, SRP forged pistons, Eagle crank, 6x heads, comp cams springs, comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam, TH-350, and a Jeff Walker Q-Jet.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the way to do it!
Put the Pontiac in the Pontiac.

Is the original engine a 301 OR 400?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
That's the way to do it!
Put the Pontiac in the Pontiac.

Is the original engine a 301 OR 400?
Yep! But that won't be for a little bit.. the original was a 302.. if the one he has isn't the actual original and just another 302 that someone stuck in there then I won't take it and I'll build a 400 or a 455, and then move the 350 to the chevy

---CARS---

Old 11-30-2006, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If that car was ORIGINALLY a 301 4 speed & still has the original Super T-10 ,it has a VERY STIFF first & second gear ratio in it.
Do you know what tranny is in it NOW?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
If that car was ORIGINALLY a 301 4 speed & still has the original Super T-10 ,it has a VERY STIFF first & second gear ratio in it.
Do you know what tranny is in it NOW?
I'm not sure :-/ All he said was hurst 4-speed.. i guess it's the original tranny? I'm new to manuals, this will be my first one.. so having a stiff first and second gear, what will that mean for me? Sorry for the stupid question, but i guess everyone had to learn sometime!

---CARS---

Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hurst is JUST the shifter,it really doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the transmission.
The original transmission installed behind 79 301's had more agressive gearing than regular ST-10s to make up for the lack of the 301's power.
It will even make the Chevvy engine seem like it's FAST!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Hurst is JUST the shifter,it really doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the transmission.
The original transmission installed behind 79 301's had more agressive gearing than regular ST-10s to make up for the lack of the 301's power.
It will even make the Chevvy engine seem like it's FAST!
Right, yeah I got that about the shifter.. I was sort of wondering why he mentioned it that way.. but when I saw the Hurst t-handle I realized he just meant that.. but anyway.. so I guess that's not such a bad thing for it to seem fast, right? You had me worried for a minute!

---CARS---

Old 11-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No,it's actually a GOOD THING!
It will pull extremely HARD in the first 2 gears.
If the diff is stock,it SHOULD have a 3:08 in it which will give you a reasonable highway cruising RPM,as well.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
No,it's actually a GOOD THING!
It will pull extremely HARD in the first 2 gears.
If the diff is stock,it SHOULD have a 3:08 in it which will give you a reasonable highway cruising RPM,as well.
awesome! I'm assuming the tranny and rear are both original.. he said it was a stock 4.9l 4-speed and he just dropped the crate in.. i'm supposed to arrange to pick it up today or tomorrow! Can't wait! I'll post pics! Thanks for the help!

---CARS---