Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "Correct" 77 TA alternator??

I'm looking to put an original alternator back on my 77 Special Edition TA. Everything else is original except the alternator. How do I find out which alt would have come on the car? The date on my engine is Dec 4, 1976 and the alt has 2 mounting ears. It's a 4-speed with air.
Jimmy jddani@aol.com

Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The most important question about the alternator on your car, or other GM cars in that era, is whether or not it has a rear window defogger, that grid of wires on the inside of the window.
The standard A?C alternator is around 63 amps, it will be simular to an alternator on most any other GM car in those years, should still be some around in salvage yards (I hope...)
If you have a rear defogger it is somewhere around 80 amps, and mounts differently.

If you are just looking for a correct date numbers matching alternator, disreguard above
info

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the alternator #'s are listed in the AMA spec sheet that you get with the PHS package.

I don't have that particular year at my fingertips,but perhaps somebody else here does.

As I recall,there was NO large case alt.that year on F-bodys,but three? differents outputs were available depending on the extent of your electrical accessory option load.