Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Heat sink style trans cooler ... yes or no?

Anyone running one of those extruded tube style transmission coolers? I am looking at the Derale 13266 which is a 24" dual pass style. I believe these are more intended for frame rail mounting on street rods but I was wondering how it would perform mounted behind the grille on my '71 GTO.

I have run a stand-alone tube and fin style for years mounted ahead of my radiator on the passenger side. I was thinking this might open up the radiator to full airflow. Are these adequate as stand-alone coolers?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, I bought a summit brand and went out for about a 20mi. ride trans temps over 200. Installed a b&m stacked plate temps went down to 170.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wound up buying a Derale 8 pass tube and fin cooler. I wanted to buy a Hayden 1405 of similar spec but the Hayden had no mounting flange on the sides.

The only way I could see to mount the Hayden unit was hang it on the front of the radiator with the furnished zip ties (and obstruct radiator air flow) or hang it off my current brackets (straps) with insulated wiring clamps over the tube ends which I didn't like.

FYI, the Derale has a perforated angle flange on both sides to attach to simple strap brackets between the radiator core support and underside of the header.

Old tech but should cool the trans fine.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
No, I bought a summit brand and went out for about a 20mi. ride trans temps over 200. Installed a b&m stacked plate temps went down to 170.
A lot more warm air (than people realize) goes from the heated engine compartment UNDER the car and past the Transmission, the exhaust system etc.

So the fins on the trans pan system seems like a good idea until you actually test it as 70 bird did with his vehicle.

The Engine Radiator (especially an aluminum one) actually over-cools most of the time which is why engines have thermostats and not just for cold weather heater warm-up either.

The trouble is most modern Engine radiators is that they are a cross-flow design vs a down flow design where the trans oil cooler would always see the coldest water before going back to the transmission.

Does your car have A/C Installed?

If not then the oil cooler in front of the radiator would be the same as 30% of the heat from the a/c system as far as adding heat to the engine radiator. And cars do not overheat the engine when the a/c is on typically going down the road.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.