Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Default TO ALL THAT HAVE TROUBLES ON HERE!!!!

WELL IN MY TRAVELS I HAVE FOUND THIS THREAD>.....HAS ME ROLLING WITH DELIGHT SO FIRST I'D LIKE TO THANK ALL THAT HAVE HELPED PLEASE exclude yourself from the next part I CAN NOT HELP I DON'T KNOW THESE THINGS BUT I AM DETERMINED TO FIND OUT ........This is how I feel... anyone that is not open to all engines and builds should not be on here.....
It has been pulling teeth to get help so I have to agree with this guys statement I feel people don't remember how to tinker just for S*ITS AND GIGGLES and that we can!!! just to see what will happen or just to learn but I feel people are to stuck on themselves and how they feel ,,,,I'm not sure if it's cause their wise years of godly wrenching!!!! not sure what happened to helping one another with knowledge and experience but a lot feel it's a sacred knowledge so I guess in the age of tech....your secrets can die with you cause someone.... some where...... will give the knowledge and you can stay in your delusional world that you are the only one that could figure it out or that your the only one with the knowledge Thank you again to all that have responded I

Ok you ignoranuses that knock the 305 are really starting to annoy me. So to put you down into your place, and nail you there. Here are some interesting facts that YOU ALL seem to forget.
Money invested vs. money returned. Fact 305/350 SHARE the SAME crank, heads, rods, bearings, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves, valve springs, retainers, heads, exhaust (headers or manifolds), accessories, motor mounts, and they can even share the same cams.
Only difference is the piston, flexplates/flywheel and engine block (Yes their are slight difference in the design).
So it he puts $4k into a 305, wheres the problem? At the most he will blow it up, break a rod, maybe a crank?
I figure that even if he did, he can STILL salvage at the least 75% of his investment.
if he breaks a rod or a crank, wippity effin do dah. He can still replace that part, and bolt every g*dd*mn part into and onto a 350, if he so chooses, and amazingly he aint out s**t, now is he?????????
Just because you dont, cant, or wont do it, doesn't mean it can't or he shouldn't do it. Now give him the answers he asks for, and not you nearsighted opinion of why you wouldn't and he shouldn't do...Or just clam it.
For the record I have in fact built a 350 rwhp 2.5L (3.0l) tech4 iron duke with an 8k redline using only 55% of the fuel of a 350sbc...Why? "Because I effin can!!" and I was told its not feasible and I shouldn't do it.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

So you found a post where somebody supported building a 305 because at the very least he could reuse the parts on a 350. While technically this is true, it doesn't take into account that the parts are not the only cost. Labor, gaskets and time doing it. Just because I can polish a turd (to see if I can) and rest assured I can break it apart and use some of the peanuts to bake another cake later doesn't make it right.

Just skip the turd polishing(waste of time and money) part and go right into building a 350. Of course that's if you are truly planning on pulling the engine for a rebuild.

Not sure if you are calling the people trying to help you "ignoranuses" or if that is copied from the post you found is hard to tell. You may want to clarify. While the 305 is a reliable engine it has never been very high on the performance pedestal.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
So you found a post where somebody supported building a 305 because at the very least he could reuse the parts on a 350. While technically this is true, it doesn't take into account that the parts are not the only cost. Labor, gaskets and time doing it. Just because I can polish a turd (to see if I can) and rest assured I can break it apart and use some of the peanuts to bake another cake later doesn't make it right.

Just skip the turd polishing(waste of time and money) part and go right into building a 350. Of course that's if you are truly planning on pulling the engine for a rebuild.

Not sure if you are calling the people trying to help you "ignoranuses" or if that is copied from the post you found is hard to tell. You may want to clarify. While the 305 is a reliable engine it has never been very high on the performance pedestal.
LMAO!

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM

the ignoramus is all the thread I found as I put on there I mean no disrespect to anyone that has helped or does help. Just ... how is a person to gain knowledge unless good people that love wrenching help? but with facts!!!! not their opinion on what they like not that it's not welcomed but those tight . though the only thing they say is skip it and go with the 350 well if I had money I would go back with the original 400 but to have a ride that you cant drive till you get all those super parts in and adjusted seems pretty crappy we don't have very many days left for good drives here so I'm working with time ....now when winter gets here and I park her for the winter then I can save and buy but to have fun now!!!! it is hard when you constantly have everyone I guess keeping the national tuning secrets or troubleshooting I guess I have to be sorry for not having anyone to teach me I live in the mountains with no TV and limited access to the NET so it's hard for me to work on her and adjust what I have to if I cannot get the info but then to have everyone treat you like you have no business having the car cause you don't have the knowledge to own it is worse cause they are all hypocrites they had to start some where but no one will school you on it then you go to buy a base block with nothing and either you have the production miss haps that only the old timers know and how to fix cause they were on the line.... I guess all I have to do is go to a senior home to get the knowledge cause I feel they are the only one that hold the old respect and the ol' good neighborly thing to do....just keep in I have what I have!!!!! and until I get MONEY !!! I'm just a newbie so what do I know??? mind

Old 10-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Default WOW!!!that got people talking

To all that brought the facts as well as their opinions thank you that's what I have been talking about....you guys rock
Now for the other ones that are confused i'll nut shell it for you.
I'm a self starter in wrenching and mostly being self taught I feel these sites were for help and conversation I do understand that a lot of interest is in the older originals but I am just learning so I am going to ask stupid questions and come up with off the wall thoughts on tinkering with motors WELCOME TO INNOVATION!!!!!LMAO for those that have done it???? I would like to know why yours failed I want people to go...HOLY HELL THATS A 305!!!!!! also one thing I've learned is that THERES ALWAYS SOMEONE BIGGER AND BADDER so I bought this bird for $2500 and she has already ATE a few Mustangs, and a few rice burners ....LOL so yes i'm still in the process of learning what the previous owner has done to her and learning at the same so I buy a high performance part here and there and put it on now when I get enough i'll buy my 350-400-455? and bolt them up to it well except for the 400-455 you know...LOL
then my tranny and in between the body work, so in the nut shell I have the 305 put in and I have never pulled an engine let alone... I don't have the equipment to do so or the little things of how to do so correctly. so to all of you that have helped THANK YOU and to the rest I think you fit into my post so no need for your negativity...

Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, here is a pic of how the carb linkage should look. I believe that one lever with a screw on it, is for a tranny kickdown cable. I'm not for sure on that, maybe someone else knows. There is a hole in each lever for a throttle return spring, instead of using the cable post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2008.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	378064  

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks man now SEE EVERYONE THATS WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT...!!!! This guy and a few others I have had the pleasure of speaking to... have to be the 1% left that will be the ones to see the beautiful machines stick around after all our eras are gone.
:dr unk: :guit ar::c lap2:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	link.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	378078  

Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

305? Jerk it out and sell it before it pukes. A real Pontiac doesnt deserve that. Sell it to the 305 Guru. ; )

Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

I hope that I never need a locksmith as I am passing thru Summit county. Dude.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Too Nay Sayers and Nate

OK, Nay Sayers first, Nate bought this car as is, running, driving, and in need of repairs. Classic case of love at first sight of an early 2nd Gen FB.
I've been there and done it myself several times. I've got a '71' now with one of them burrick (sp.ck.) stage 1 455's out of a 70 gs burrick (sp.ck.) in it. Everything there except for cloth interior parts. The thing got caught in a flood and the burrick (sp.ck.) engine is locked up tighter than a tick. Yep, right now all I can do is set and watch it rot away. Bad thing is it was a one owner, low milage, not even a door ding car. Original owner orderd it base line, radio delete, just for his hopped up burrick (sp.ck.) project. After the flood he was ticked off and the car was set out to pasture. And years after the fact I bought that bird in the bush.

FWIW Right now I'ld love to have it running driving with any engine in it. A 305 would be better than a Johnson or EvinRUDE 40 though. Especially one of them old smoke blowing logger head 65s. SOOO, I guess I am a little picky about an engine.

So the way I see it I fully understand Nate wanting to get this bird running better where he can enjoy it till he can do better. I've seen where several here disagree with me on this yet haven't offered to go and put a Pontiac engine in for him. Much less advice. So I have noeyedeer where thay're coming from. Lose fingers I guess.

If anyone has questions or wants to debate this issue please contact me through pm or (preferably) email. Lets not be smack typing someone on here for trying to do the best they can with what they've got.
__
Ding dangit it's a firebird he's trying to bring back!!!
er
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Hey Nate,
I've been kinda out of the loop for a little while and just now seeing where you were asking for help. A phone call would probably be better/easier for you and me both. At least me anyways as much as needs talked about.
Happy Pontiacing
Clay

Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Default GOOD OL QUICK!!!

Well i'd like to thank the wise QUICK!!!
Sorry Quick as you can see these guys are very set in their toughts. I am sorry to anyone who has took offence to my posts but you are just proving my point so QUICK AGAIN thank you.
i almost think some stood to close to the gas pump when their mom was pumping gas as they grew up or they are still growing up ...LMAO!!!!
I do only have what i got till i get more time and money and most of all....!!! the knowledge!!!!
and to the one that wants to add his 1/2 cents and knock locksmithing .....I hope you do lock your keys in something and they charge you out the A.....!!!!! or KARMA gives you what you deserve.
So how ya been Quick"?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Default UPDATE

All right so I pulled the carb and broke it down and cleaned it with carb spray man it had crap in every where!!!! but cleaned up nice...will have some picks up soon camera broke during the tear down...LMAO

I am a little concerned when I pulled the top off I saw down into where the Accelerator pump I think ...? is down where the spring sits and it looks to have cracked down into a open cavity that is plugged by molded metal hole. ill get picks up soon I hope.
On a lighter note>>>>>>>>>>>

HOLY CRAP!!!! SSHEE....Screams now set up the carb to run right the secondary's open instantly now well I have it on timed vacuumed I do need to re-time her when I find my light but I got her pretty dead on by ear, she fires with just a touch to the key every time MMMMM!!!!!!!

Oh hey any ideas on carb at idle is kindda surging up in RPM then back down it's slight but I can notice it????
Well right on thanks to all and I have to say if this is a 305 i'm gonna get it Dyno to see what the hell was done to it then ill get it posted for ya...