Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 64 Tempest 3 speed transmission

Hi guys,

I am driving home (leaving in a few hours) from Dallas to Milwaukee in a 64 Tempest Custom (attached).

Overall the car feels like it will be fine. But the transmission has a groaning bearing at any speed above about 5 mph and in any gear. I suspect that the issue an output bearing as a result. The seller didn't tell me about this and in his defense he didn't drive it except 'around the yard' (whatever that means).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanx!

PS - I have been chronicling the project on fecabook if you want to see more:
http://www.facebook.com/RediRad (or just enter RediRad in the FB "search" box)

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Suspended

those transmissions are very common, and very easy to rebuild, the parts and rebuild kits are a easy to find and cheap to, It might be a good idea to pull the tranny and rebuild it befor it gets too bad or it might start damaging other internal parts,chevy cars and trucks up through about 1965 had the same tranny too.

there are ways to diagnose and trouble shoot almost exactly which gear or bearing has failed but its really pointless because rebuild kits have all the bearings and gaskets to rebuild the entire tranny regardless what bearing failed.

I would at least top off the oil level to be sure thats not the problem,

thats an awfully long trip to start off with trany problem right out of the gate. Maybe check a junk yard on the way out of town to see if they got any laying around, they run about 50-75 dollars in usible shape. bring tools. I replaced a same type of tranny in a parking lot of a church during a wedding, so dont worry, it can be done pretty easy and thank goodness those tranny's are very light.

those 215's are an intersting engine, I dont know if they have the small combustion chamber head like the chevy 194's but it might be worth looking for one to wake it up a bit. Also its very easy to convert the ol' 3 speed over to a similer style overdrive unit, gearing in OD is a bit much but out on the high way the milage can be amazing

Last edited by Pontirag; 06-24-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty awesome. Only wish I was somewhere along your route, I'd welcome the chance to wave you on and help if needed. Hopefully you can holler at somebody here at PY if you get in a bind.

I hate strange noises in an unfamiliar car (or new noises in a familiar car). Especially when they happen miles from nowhere in the middle of the night. But sounds like a great adventure.

Hope you will be posting along the way.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Suspended

X2

I have seen movies about people breaking down in Texas.

do you play a Banjo or a Guitar?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dont go bow hunting....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, thanks for the replies, folks.

Well the trip is underway, and we are in Carthage MO tonite. The trans is pretty noisy but I am driving easy (55 - 60 mph). Better to get there late than broke.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Suspended

misery?

Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, but I do not have one! If I did, it would be yours.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quick update: We arrived back in MKE last nite @ 9:30 local time. The transmission needs attention but driving it easy (60 mi/h MAX) sealed the deal. I have a friend locally who is parting out a '65 like my '64 and has a 3-speed trans available.

I will post a more detailed thread on this trip in a few days... Thanks again, everyone, for the PMs and replies. You guys mean a lot.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats. To you and the tranny!