Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy30006 View Post
I would be interested in seeing the engine compartment ones especially if its a 4 barrel.
It was a tripower car but I will post them since they may be helpful to someone re all of the other components. I'll start a new thread so as not to step on this fellows thread anymore.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I supervised this operation in the truck assembly plant. Chassis black was/is a thin, watery "paint" (calling it paint is generous). The operator pretty much sprayed it in the general direction of the chassis; coverage was spotty at best.

If I paid big bucks to have a car restored, and it looked like they do when they roll off the end of the line, I would be very disappointed.

K
Years ago, a PY Member came up with the term "Restified", which fits very well the "Restored" vehicles being done in the past and today vs the Plant 'original look'.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Good enough.....

.....for my needs, I intend to put a lot of miles on my '64 Le Mans convertible. Power will be supplied by a restored '64 421 HO engine backed by a TH350 trans. I really don't care all that much about it being totally correct, but I am still trying to build my car using as many 1964 components as reasonably possible.

Note the '69 GP 11" disc brakes and 2nd-gen T/A 1.25" sway bar, both for a better and safer driving experience. I used Eastwood Chassis Black rattle cans on the frame and front suspension components.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was at a Late Great Chevy national meet once, and one of the guest speakers for the judging training sessions was a retired GM designer. He and his team were predominantly responsible for the 1958 Chevy and later cars. When the subject of "over restoring" the cars came up, he kind of misted up a bit and said, "You guys are building these cars like we wish we could have". Since then I have never felt guilty about making them look better than they did when they were new as long I tried my best to have the car reflect how it would look had they had the time and expense to build them more slowly and carefully like we all do.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

B-man - what paint are you using on your engine, do you prime underneath it and how is it holding up? It looks great in those pictures.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
B-man - what paint are you using on your engine, do you prime underneath it and how is it holding up? It looks great in those pictures.
It's Plasti-Kote Pontiac Blue No. 208.

Sorry but no long-term durability report. The 389 GTO engine currently residing in the Le Mans is coming out, soon to be replaced by a 421 HO painted with the same paint.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks B-man. Looks great. I'll have to order some up.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
Thanks B-man. Looks great. I'll have to order some up.

I would recommend using a more industrial type paint. You can buy the correct stuff from Scott Tieman. The aerosol paints just don't hold up to the heat and is commonly burned off with a few minutes of run time. We also use a high heat primer on the cylinder heads to assist in the protection. The overall brightness and sheen are much better. Just my opinion but it's not really something you can back and fix later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Food for thought. I may go that route.