Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Carlisle and Hershey Trip Observations

I drug the wife from Italy last week and we went to Carlisle and hit Hershey today but head tomorrow so only got one day at Hershey. I have only been to Carlisle once and this is the first trip to Hershey. Been to many meets in DFW and Oklahoma but nothing like these two.

Carlisle was OK but I saw a lot of crap that I can't believe people haul around. I scored the usual stuff like tools and odds and ends for the cars and Pypes gave me a decent deal in cash on some cutouts and pipes. Not sure I'll come back to this meet, lots of high priced crap. I ran into some real jerks who would not deal or would respond with things like "Can't make everybody happy". I guess they like packing and unpacking all that crap, I did not lowball.

Hershey had a lot of neat stuff and not just old cars, the corral had a very good selection including some sub $10K cars that looked good. Made a few deals on some parts. One thing I hated about it was EVERYBODY had a frickin'n huge RV, a latel model car, trailer, camper etc. that just filled the whole damned place up. If you only had your stand and one vehicle and made all the rest stay out you could probably walk it all in a day. I spent all my time walking around because there was so many non show vehicles on the lot.

But a day at either beats a day at work, just wish I had more time, have to fly on Friday.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was also at Hershey yesterday,, True that people think stuff is worth all kinds of money,, I go more to see the cars and just the general experience of it. And true it takes up a lot of real-estate with all the campers and trailers, I only saw 1/2 the swap meet. My major gripe about it now is that since its all been blacktopped there are more damn golf carts driving around than all the golf courses in the state combined. I was really tired of getting out of the way of them. And I probably have more difficulty walking than most of the people riding them. I go there with low expectations of buying and usually meet them. Its really not the place to find a deal, But then these days thats the same all over. And seldom will you find much for 60s 70s muscle cars. Mostly model A's and T fords kind of things. Or a $750.00 rusty old toy, Carlisle and Englishtown NJ are a little better for that stuff. And not so many freakin golf carts. Wow , Italy , and I thought my 3 hour drive was bad, LOL

Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I agree on the carts and electric chairs. Too many running around.

Every time I looked under a car to see if it was rusted I would get comments about how it was rust free. Being a Texan I would reply how them northern boys like to hide rust under all that fancy undercoating like the stuff on the car I am looking under and they would get defensive. OK, move along now was the feeling I got from them.

I remember my last trip to Carlisle in about 2000, there was a guy who had this POS little peddle car that was really rusty but you could make out it was blue and marked USAF. I was still active thought that would be cool to have, I figured around $75 and the guy wanted $400, yeah, OK, take it to Rick's Restorations and get it done and keep it.

I'll stick with Decatur and La Grave in DFW.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I was at Carlisle Thursday Friday and Saturday. Been going to Spring and Fall for years.

Crowds seemed smaller on Friday and a lot smaller Saturday. Economy?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

Missed Carlisle but did Hershey yesterday. Regardless if I dont buy anything, I really enjoy the mix of stuff. Did make some scores. mainly found parts for my 56 olds. Debated on a stuck semi corroded 6-71 blower w/ missing front plate. sticker said 175. always wanted one, but 175 to but on the shelf. still pondering it.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM

i was bummed by all the empty spaces at hershey. the green and orange fields had 5 empty spots to every one with parts. i gave up and did not do the chocalate or red fields

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at Hershey on Friday (12th) and agree with pretty much all that was said. RV's, carts, etc ... seems to me that Pontiac was under represented in the swap area, then again I didn't see it all that day. A lot of the vendors were packing up on Friday. Like someone said above, I also go for the cars and the general experience of it all more than to deal hunt. Though I did find a side marker light assembly for my '69 GTO for $5.

P.S. - I will be posting a picture thread of the show soon.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s

Last edited by GRX; 10-15-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: > p s
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went to Hershey last year in place of Carlisle. Thought Hershey on Thurs. was bad Friday was awful and Saturday a joke. All three days there the empty spaces out numbered occupied spaces.
This year go back to Carlisle Thurs Friday Saturday. This year more empty spaces than normal. Some vendors openly stated they were selling off all items and leaving the hobby.
Economy partly, but i believe the hobby is shrinking faster than we are willing to admit .

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think you are right, the hobby is shrinking. I know plenty of guys who bought cars as pretty prizes but they cannot even change the oil and they would not waste their time going to a swap meet. They paid too much and now can't let go of the car and hardly ever drive it.

Hardcore car guys are dying off. How many young people do you really know that work on their automobiles?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know people who have their car or cars for sale. They are holding out for the big bucks. They also don't drive them just sit in the garage.
The crowds at Carlisle over the years have diminished quite noticeably. Some say the cars shows are holding their own. That may be so but notice how many cars are for sale. Seems that there are two for sale to every one that is not. Oh mine is not for sale.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

I'm fortunate enough to live within 2+ hours of both Hershey and Carlisle, so I make every Fall Hershey and Carlisle 3-4 times a season. While I agree that the economy has affected attendance, I thought that it was up a bit this year over the last two. I was told that the number of show cars at the AACA meet in Hershey was up by 20% (though that is hearsay). As for vendors leaving early, on Friday some of that was due to overcast/windy conditions. Saturday is always an early departure day, as there is no show on Sunday at Hershey.
Every time I contemplate moving, I calculate how much longer it would take to drive to Hershey/Carlisle and decide to stay put.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Hershey/Carlisle

Just read several posts about Carlisle/Hershey. I've been going to Hershey for the last 30 years. I have a 1954 Ford Show Car that has taken all the AACA National Trophies. There hasn't been a year missed that it hasn't taken one. Except when it has rained. (The car doesn't go out of the trailer.) My wife and I stay at the Hershey Lodge. Over the years we have stayed at a couple of other different motel/hotels. For 3-4 yrs we took our travel trailer to the Highmeadows Campgrounds. But over the years I have noticed a big drop in attendance. Used to be you had to get on a "Waiting List" to get a room at the Hershey Lodge. Now we have some friends that wait until the week before and call and get a room right away!! As mentioned by several other people--the economy. When I first started going down to Hershey there was only the Blue, White, and Chocolate Fields. (No Car Corral either!!) It wasn't as big as it is now. As several people mentioned about the "empty" spaces. I've noticed that for years now. That's why I never buy a over priced "program" they are always trying to get you to buy!!!! I meet up with several of our friends from New Jersey. They say the reason there aren't vendors in those empty spaces is because most of the vendors figure it's cheaper and less hassle selling on e-bay or the internet!!! The number of show cars on the show field on Saturday has been running around 1200-1300 cars for the last couple years. That too has dropped considerably!!!! I can remember back in the '80's when they used to have the show over around the stadium. At one time there were as many as 2000 show cars there!!!! In 1986 there were 90 cars just in my class 27A alone!!! I don't really think I'll ever see a day at the Hershey Show when there will be 2000 cars there again!!!! Like mentioned our children & grandchildren just aren't interested in showing cars!!! They'd rather drag race them and tear the hell out of them!!! My one friend from NJ is a millionaire. He has 2 adult sons & a adult daughter; with grandchildren. None of his children are interested in showing any of his cars. He has about 15 cars and a fire truck. My wife and I just completed a 4 yr Concours Restoration on a '69 GTO. I'm retiring the '54 Ford this year and showing the Goat. I've been to Carlisle for the last 4 years for parts for it. I've gone to both the spring & fall meets. I'm fortunate that I only live 2 hrs from both Carlisle & Hershey. As mentioned some of the guys at Carlisle & Hershey do have some high priced "junk". We plan on showing the GTO at the AACA Spring Meet at Carlisle sponsored by The Gettysburg Region the end of May. We are also taking it to the 2013 GTOAA-POCI Co-Vention in Dayton, Ohio where I've entered it in the Concour's Class. Then we'll be taking it to Hershey in Oct. Have a good show season guys.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Senior Chief

I'll be at all 3 of those meets, as well. Look me up. You'll enjoy the POCI/GTOAA Co-vention in Dayton. I was at the last one in 2009. If you like airplanes, plan to spend a day at the nearby Air Force Museum.
Best of luck campaigning the GTO.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com