Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default HELP!!!! porting gone bad

well not to bad. I do need some advive on what to do and how to fix this problem.
I have been porting on a set of 4X heads, not going crazy but opening up the bowl
area and doing some blending. I did'nt think I was going to far, I have been checking
with snap gauges and other forms but I did go through on the one side of the valve
guied. its in the water jacket.these are for my sons car and really cant afford to get
a new set of heads to start over right now. what "epoxy" is being used to fix such a
hole and where can I get it at. any help is greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photoz.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	317006  

Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that would need to be welded.

Not sure epoxy will take care of that.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Splashzone 788, I get it from Carboline but you can probably find some at a boat repair facility.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Mr. Barton said:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/splash_...poxy_a788.html

Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

or this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-35560

Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The splashzone is what they use for intake it is dark green and yellow 2 part epoxy.
But is onlly used for reshaping the port and never heard of it being used to seal water.
But I guess you could try it. I would think that needs to be welded to be right. Goodluck.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It is a two part epoxy, yellow and black that turns a olive green when it is mixed. It is meant for repairing hulls on boats so it works very well with water but I would however make it pretty thick, about .100 and make it wide, tapering out at about .500 wide. Once it is mixed up keep your fingers wet with water or laquer thinner to work it into place or all it will do is stick to your fingers, as with any epoxy make sure part is clean and let the epoxy sit for at least 12 hours before pressure testing the part. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Splash zone epoxy is so nice to use because it can be worked extensively with water which reduces sanding time. One concern I have with your pin-hole is it is likely paper thin in an area 6 to ten times the size of that hole. If you poke around in the bowl near that hole with a dental tool, I bet it will go through other places. Heat and expansion may not allow then epoxy to hold without filling a large area negating much of your bowl work. You might be in a tough spot there.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Scrap the head and start over.

I agree with the poster above, paper-thin.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4X heads are cheap and common. Try to find ones with large intakes and screw-in studs for a 400 -- Stamping 3, 3H, or 7H.

http://www.pontiacpower.org/4xheads.htm

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Devcon Titanium putty (part#10760) with excellent results and have sold it to several machine shops who have used it with excellent results as well. You can buy it at most industrial distributors such as the one I work for www.Applied.com

Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...m?familyid=124

Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your lucky you can find your hole looking into the water jacket holes... if so a bit of sand blasting thru the deck hole(s) will clean up that side of port well enough for JB Weld to stick well(dont bother with JB Kwik its not as high working temp range or bonding strength when cured compared to regular JB Weld).

Regular JB Weld is rather thin and tends to flow easily. When it sets and cures it adheres very well and is fuel ,oil, water, antifreeze, alcohol, proof. Withstands temps reliably at 400 and starts getting soft by 500... both temps are well above range your heads will ever see.

Anyway... brush it in if you have to, and let it flow over area... apply additional coats after it skims over enough (30-60 minutes each coat should do) untill you have at least 1/16th or more thick coating. Let it cure overnite, hand sand any that dripped through into port and paint a coat or two of JB around the affected area in the bowl...let it cure overnite and hand sand smooth in the bowl.

This should give you a patch that more than covers the thin area where its broke thru and the thin areas beyond the hole.

JB is less than $10.00 at Walmart...

BTW if JB is dripping through into valve bowl too much on first coat, just block the flow with rolled up piece of plastic coffee can lid...JB wont stick to that unless its real rough.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Scrap the head and start over.

I agree with the poster above, paper-thin.

X10000

If it was a 722 or an HO head I could see fixing it. A 4X head is very common and ya, I would start on a fresh head. Definately NOT saying the for mentioned repair methods would not work, but all your out is some grinder time. Take that head and slice it through the port and see how much material you have so you can avoid the same issue twice.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Suspended

I've used Bexane and Polymer Steel both to do casting repairs. Baxane is much smoother material that can be applied and finished with a wet finger.

http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certifi...4&pName=BEXANE

Polymer Steel MG is a more course material that needs finished with a grinder after application. Polymer Steel MG is metal filled which makes is more course once mixed.

http://dudick.com/industrial/tech_da...r_steel_mg.asp

I switched to Polymer Steel MG from Bexane due to the lack of availability of Bexane.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one of the thinnest areas in the dports where you cut thru. I would cut it up like mentioned above.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Has anyone tried preheating and just used brazing rod? You would also have to cool the head back down slowly. or possibly even silver solder? Friend of mine has a class drag car with sbc that the heads are brazed up everywhere and it has been like that for 10 plus years.I will say I do not know if it was used to plug water holes or just as a filler. He did not know who did the port work.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah fix that one cylinder then run the head then another one pops through ( because they are all probably paper thin ) and a then a toasted engine by the time you realize it.

Replacing the heads is the cheapest option at this point..!!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had this happen 20 years ago when a mechanic friend decided to show me how to do it correctly after my porting/bowl shaping was done. Within minutes, he went through. I then went out and found another set of heads. No other safe way to do it. But then I took my existing heads to a machine shop and had them cut through two ports for me (1 intake, 1 exhaust) so I could see a cross section of the wall thickness and understand the castings. I still have them today.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

for $50 of epoxy you could...

for $50 of iron you could...

either way you be grinding iron.