Old 10-19-2002, 06:58 AM

I just received my Desert Cooler radiator from Performance Years for my '66 GTO. The upper outlet on the Desert Cooler is on the passenger side, but on my current radiator the upper outlet is on the driver's side. All the pictures I've seen of '66 radiators have the upper outlet on the driver side and the lower outlet on the passenger side. Did PY send me the wrong radiator? The invoice says "66 without air." Can I use the one they sent me, using a different upper hose, or do I need to send it back?
Thanks
Ke

Old 10-19-2002, 06:58 AM

I just received my Desert Cooler radiator from Performance Years for my '66 GTO. The upper outlet on the Desert Cooler is on the passenger side, but on my current radiator the upper outlet is on the driver's side. All the pictures I've seen of '66 radiators have the upper outlet on the driver side and the lower outlet on the passenger side. Did PY send me the wrong radiator? The invoice says "66 without air." Can I use the one they sent me, using a different upper hose, or do I need to send it back?
Thanks
Ke

Old 10-19-2002, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

I think they sent you the wrong radiator. I would contact them.

Old 10-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everybody makes mistakes sometimes. Most likely PY had this drop shipped to you from the factory. I would have sent them an email rather than posting on the board. PY will handle any problem whether it be your fault or theirs.

Old 10-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm sure that TunderRoad was not trying to discredit our host (PY), rather just in a state of panic over his problem. Most likely wanted some of our opinions to form a basis for his complaint before contacting PY.

db
-------------------------------------------------

Making a living is not the same thing as making a life!!

Old 10-19-2002, 06:44 PM

I was NOT trying to discredit PY, but rather figure out if they were wrong or I was wrong. I am never sure since this is all new to me and I depend on PY and the experts on this board to help me in times of crisis.

On further investigation of the radiator currently installed in my '66 GTO, there are two metal tubes running from the bottom of the radiator to the transmission. I don't know if this is stock, or if the previous owner did something special. Any ideas what these may be and do I need them?

Thanks again
Ke

Old 10-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

The metal tubes are the coolant lines for your tranny. Tranny fluid runs thru them then thru seperate tubes in your radiator. Yes you need to hook the up again. Look close on your new rad. Their should be plugs in the holes where the lines go.

My Rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 10-19-2002, 08:26 PM

Nope. No sign of plugs or openings for the tranny cooler lines in the new radiator. I guess this, plus the incorrect location of the upper outlet tells me this is the wrong radiator. Thanks for everyone's help. If it hadn't been the weekend, I'm sure PY could have helped solve this. I'll call them on Monday.

Ken

Old 10-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Boost Engineer

Thunderroad,

The radiator you have probably (99% chance) fits
a 64-65 Tempest/LeMans/GTO as all of them have the top hose on the passenger side. Also the new
radiator you have is for a MANUAL trans config.
If you have an auto trans you need to tell Chris
that too so that he will send one with the trans cooler installed in the lower tank. Good Luck.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.