Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default 69 firebird exhaust pipes needed anyone make them resonable?

Building a 69 400 convertible to drive. I need the over axle pipes and the tail pipes I will fabricate the header pipes. I have a pypes crossflow muffler I would like to use but I can use turbo mufflers ahead of the axle if I can find the over the axle/tail pipes. Looking for stock locations as car still has all the factory dual exhaust hangers.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try Waldrons, I wish I had!
http://www.waldronexhaust.com/

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Flowmaster makes a nice one over the axles behind the tires. I bought two sets already.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Suspended

I also have the Flowmaster system on my 69 el Camino BB and it fits nicely.. I never heard anything bad about Waldrons accept they crush bend there pipes...

Old 11-30-2019, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here, Flowmaster single crossflow muffler system in stainless steel. I cut, tweaked and re-welded mine for precsion fit because the car is mini tubbed. Real pleased with the fit, finish and sound.

Tim john---

Old 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hotbird View Post
Building a 69 400 convertible to drive. I need the over axle pipes and the tail pipes I will fabricate the header pipes. I have a pypes crossflow muffler I would like to use but I can use turbo mufflers ahead of the axle if I can find the over the axle/tail pipes. Looking for stock locations as car still has all the factory dual exhaust hangers.
About the only place that sells tail pipes separately these days is Flowmaster. And the only tail pipe set that will work on your car would be the dual mufflers in front of the axle setup. So you'll have to go that configuration if you want to buy tailpipes separately. However they are made for offset inlet offset outlet mufflers, like the factory used, so keep that in mind.

Pypes transverse muffler enter and exit opposite of each other from side to side. Meaning driver side is in at the top and out the top passenger, and passenger side is in at the bottom and out the bottom on the driver side. So that muffler is exclusive to their tail pipes only.

Flowmaster transverse mufflers are configured completely different so those tailpipes won't work, and the dynomax transverse is also configured differently (configured like a factory transverse) in top/out bottom side to side.

Torque Tech used to be another place that sold tail pipes separately and had the best fitting stuff out there. Unfortunately owner retired and closed the doors.

If you're really set on the transverse setup, might be cheaper to just buy the whole kit. Dynomax makes a very nice fitting and very affordable transverse muffler kit for the F-bodies Part number 89021 and is only $253 complete from Jegs https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/89021/10002/-1