THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Economy doing well.....the next 4 years is time to sell !
I think sooner than later

Old 01-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post

One thing that has not changed is the number of high dollar cars that are not correct restorations. Seems as long as it is restored over the top buyers don't care if it has parts from several years or incorrect parts. Easy things that can be fixed like wrong cowl inserts on 69 cars. Wrong center caps on Rally II wheels, wrong alternator brackets, missing washer bottles, etc. All of these were seen on Judges and RA IV cars. It is kind of frustrating to see these cars go for the same money as a correctly restored car. Also rest mods can bring more money than a similar quality correct restoration.
It's a sellers market right now and for owners of these muscle cars who want out, this may be one of the last times to get top money for them IMO. As mentioned, low interest rates, strong economy, general good feelings about the economy and future all feed into this "investment theory". It will ebb and flow as it always does. As far as incorrect restorations and wrong parts still bringing the strong money, that's a little complicated. When the "expert people", running the auctions, and the "talking heads" on the TV shows don't know what's right or correct, or gloss over major mistakes, this makes them unimportant to the bidders. Many bidders are now decades removed from when these cars were plentiful and on the road, let alone built, and they simply don't know what center cap is correct, what bolt head was painted, what one was cad plated, where a flange bolt was used vs a washer. They don't know or don't care. As far as performance up-grades like disc brakes on drum cars, overdrive transmissions vs 3 speed auto or 4-speed manuals, if they plan on driving these cars regularly, they want them to drive more like the modern cars they are used to. Original, perfect examples of these cars are still expensive and may have maxed out. The lesser cars have some movement and there may be some decent buys still out there.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:34 PM

The RA IV Judge just sold for 93k. That's a deal for the buyer as far as I'm concerned. I looked at the car, it was very very well done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That RA IV was a beautiful car. That’s way low.

I agree the buyers simply don’t know what is correct. The people buying these cars are wealthy ‘car guys’ not experts..

Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
I remember well how prices of our cars soared back in 2006-2007 . Housing was great, jobs plentiful, stock market climbing, ect. Then **** hit the fan. I think history will repeat itself by October this year.
Completely different economic circumstances back then but you got the years wrong. The years were 2005-2006. At the mid mark of 2006 is when everything plummeted.
We have a new trade agreement with China, and USMCA agreement has followed, We have made a new deal with Japan.
Gas prices remain low, and much to our credit because we are now a major oil exporter and no longer effected in a major way to what happens to the oil producers ( cartel) in the middle east. We are in good shape.
Manufacturing and jobs is are back big time.
The only thing that will derail this economic miracle would be a shift in policy changes and regulations. It's really in the peoples court with the election as to whether we continue to move forward and succeed or go back to the old ways.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big problem, in spite of all those indicators, is that people are up to their ass in credit.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

I agree at some point our beloved cars will plateau. Demographics prove that what becomes popular is what the people in their peak earning years chase after. The things they wanted as young adults but could not afford. I think the cars that reflected the best of the best in their particular era will always bring more money than the plain jane cars. I also think the musclecar era was a unique cultural event and will always hold a place in history.

I have heard these discussions about sell now it is coming to an end for the last 5 years. No doubt it will pull back and find its place among car collecting. However personally I have not seen that at the Kissimmee auction. The house was packed and prices still very strong.

I have always wanted a nice Judge but seemed to never part with the money required. Now I am at a point where I either need to own one or let it go. I could wait on the sidelines for the big pullback but I also know my time to enjoy these cars is getting shorter. No one has a crystal ball to predict the future we only have the past and present to guide us.

Last edited by Mcronk; 01-20-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As long as they keep putting these cars in music videos and movies I think we should be okay.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...RANS-AM-236071

Anyone notice this Macho T/A? Went for 25k because some genius put a LS motor in it. There are cars that are candidates for LS swaps.... this isn’t one of them. It was fairly nice too. If I remember correctly the paint could have used some buffing but it was nice