THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Delorean and Smokey Yunick

I recall these two did a Q and A session at a POCI convention(Denver in 2008?) Does any video exist of this event? Where can I find it?

Old 01-13-2020, 12:02 AM

Smokey died in 2001 so it wasn't the Denver convention. He was scheduled to appear at the 2001 convention in Red Wing, MN but died a couple months beforehand.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

2008 was just a guess. I do know that they both did this Q and A at a POCI convention years ago so just wondering if any video exists. Seems like I recall one of the chapters selling a video of this at one time, but not positive. Sure would like to see whatever exists.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Delorean died in March of 2005

Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe it was the POCI Convention in 1997 that was held in Denver where they both attended. I wish I would have been there for that one. I, too, would love to see a video if anyone has it!

Old 01-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it was the 1997 convention in Denver......I was there for his presentation
and also got John Delorean and Smokey Yunick to sign the inside of my glovebox door on my GTO. The local chapter in Denver was selling a tape of his
talk right after the convention was over. I would contact them to see if there
is a copy they can send you. When Delorean walked into the room it was sort
of like Steve McQueen or John Wayne walking into the room.....all of the sudden
the Oxygen level in the room dropped by 50 percent. The best part of the talk was the Q and A after it was over. Somebody asked him about his relationship with Jim Wangers and all he would say about him was that yes he knew him
and he worked for Pontiac's ad agency....that was it! One of my friends spotted him having breakfast in the host hotel all by himself and with balls bigger than basketballs he sat down at the same table and had a conversation with him
for about 15 minutes. He stated that he was shocked by how nice all the Pontiacs were at the convention....he was
expecting to see a bunch of worn out, rusted out clapped out Pontiacs, not the flawless specimens on hand that were nicer than when they were brand new. One thing that was funny was that at the Q and A people had to submit
written questions on a piece of paper subject to screening before being handed to him. I assume this was to head
off any cocaine trafficking questions! He stated during his talk that Smokey Yunick had hounded him for quite some time to come to the convention, and he was reluctant to come, but stated he was having a good time and was glad he attended.

Last edited by gtohurstjudge; 01-13-2020 at 12:17 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gtohurstjudge, as usual, you are THE MAN. I will pursue this with the info you provided. Played any socket golf lately?

Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
He stated during his talk that Smokey Yunick had hounded him for quite some time to come to the convention, and he was reluctant to come, but stated he was having a good time and was glad he attended.
When Smokey talked, smart people listened.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
Gtohurstjudge, as usual, you are THE MAN. I will pursue this with the info you provided. Played any socket golf lately?
Yes, Terry........I had a hole in one a few weeks ago!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Sad that he never realized what he was responsible for!
Sad that if he had, it may have changed his later years of life with some happiness.
JM2C's

Old 01-24-2020, 02:02 AM

I was at that talk! Smokey was asked, "Who was the greatest racer you worked with?" Answer, "The greatest driver I ever worked with was A.J. Foyt. But A.J. Foyt was an ass-hole!"
I wrote a question to JZD about the origins of the 69 Grand Prix. He answered it and that was when he mentioned the name of Ben Harrison, who was the guy who really came up with the idea.
Afterward there was an autograph session. Smokey stated, "I can't hear a damn thing!" That was one reason why questions were in writing. He had just recently wrote an article in Circle Track on various race fuels - I told him a learned quite a bit from that article. He stated "I did too!" Smokey - even later in life - STILL learning!
I asked JZD about working for big (really big) companies versus smaller; he stated that he would rather be at a smaller place than a bigger one. I've always kept that advice in mind and I have been much happier at smaller companies.
I am grateful that I got to meet both!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joegpho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
Yes it was the 1997 convention in Denver......I was there for his presentation
and also got John Delorean and Smokey Yunick to sign the inside of my glovebox door on my GTO. The local chapter in Denver was selling a tape of his
talk right after the convention was over. I would contact them to see if there
is a copy they can send you. When Delorean walked into the room it was sort
of like Steve McQueen or John Wayne walking into the room.....all of the sudden
the Oxygen level in the room dropped by 50 percent. The best part of the talk was the Q and A after it was over. Somebody asked him about his relationship with Jim Wangers and all he would say about him was that yes he knew him
and he worked for Pontiac's ad agency....that was it! One of my friends spotted him having breakfast in the host hotel all by himself and with balls bigger than basketballs he sat down at the same table and had a conversation with him
for about 15 minutes. He stated that he was shocked by how nice all the Pontiacs were at the convention....he was
expecting to see a bunch of worn out, rusted out clapped out Pontiacs, not the flawless specimens on hand that were nicer than when they were brand new. One thing that was funny was that at the Q and A people had to submit
written questions on a piece of paper subject to screening before being handed to him. I assume this was to head
off any cocaine trafficking questions! He stated during his talk that Smokey Yunick had hounded him for quite some time to come to the convention, and he was reluctant to come, but stated he was having a good time and was glad he attended.
I was at this show and can verify the above. I too have asked this question about the tape, but I've never heard one materialize. It was recorded, they had a camera on a tripod if I recall. I wonder if it was because of the way DeLorean sort of snubbed Wangers? I took it as he didn't really know who he was....at least it sounded like the relationship wasn't as Wangers portrayed it to be b/n the two. That always stuck out to me. Seeing him at that convention was so cool and unique. It sounded like he would be back to a future convention, but that never transpired. He did talk about an all ceramic engine he was working on development with a company in Japan iirc. Interested if the tape exists.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love to hear it as well. Amazing stuff to have two titans like that at the same event.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

I was there and got Smokey’s autograph. Good guy. Didn’t realize it was that long ago.