THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Getting threatened at work because of the car you drive

I just saw this over on JalopyJournal. I HAD to share this ridiculousness!
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...etter.1181604/

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Regardless of the company paying him well it should his choice on what he spends his money on, unless he’s taking clients out in a junker.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 PM

I don't buy it. The person who posted admitted they saw it somewhere else and were just passing it along, so until proof that it's real is provided I'll assume it's made up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excuse my French, but that’s bull****. I see myself in that person. I drive a 2002 GMC Sierra with 206,000 miles. It runs great. A few dings and some rocker panel rust. Paid for. No car payments is very nice. Plus, I park in a factory parking lot. Sometimes people are a little careless. I think I would be contacting an attorney. It’s really none of their business. He/ she might keep a nice car at home to save it from the wear and tear of parking at work. Yeeks

Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My BS meter is spinning out of control.

The way I read this, its much more like a practical joke email being played out here.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post

The way I read this, its much more like a practical joke email being played out here.
Yeah, more fake news. Someone with some new tangled problem...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Yep..... Much ado about nothing

Quote:
I didn't say I got that letter. I'm retired and have old stuff parked all over my yard. It was posted as a meme on another site.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

someone in the shop is having some fun

Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Yeah, more fake news. Someone with some new tangled problem...
I wouldn’t put it past a company to do it though. Quite a few professional jobs these days will hunt all over social media to find a reason not to hire you, and many now run your credit report.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Regardless of the company paying him well it should his choice on what he spends his money on, unless he’s taking clients out in a junker.
I don't know...this very well could be real.

Some jobs that pay a car allowance usually state that you must drive a car that is less than X years old....at the last company I worked at you were supposed to have a car newer than 4 years old, but it was the managers discretion to enforce it...so if you had a well kept car that was older nobody would bother you about it. The guys driving junkers would be talked to like this email/letter.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Some jobs that pay a car allowance usually state that you must drive a car that is less than X years old....at the last company I worked at you were supposed to have a car newer than 4 years old, but it was the managers discretion to enforce it...so if you had a well kept car that was older nobody would bother you about it. The guys driving junkers would be talked to like this email/letter.
I was going to say before reading your post, that the only way a company could get away with sending a letter like that is IF they were paying for the vehicle.

If you are being given a reasonable monthly payment for a vehicle, then the company has a reasonable expectation that you are using that payment towards said vehicle and not just pocketing the money.

Without that caveat, sending a letter like the one shown would make the employer vulnerable to a lawsuit.

At the start of said letter, the company refers to doing credit checks as part of the hiring process. This is quite common. They claim they don't do them, but say they feel the practice is justified.

Unless the employee is using his vehicle for the purposes of calling on or transporting customers, the age/condition of a commuter vehicle is of no importance to the employer.

Assuming financial distress is outrageous because a person doesn't drive a vehicle that is "newer and more appropriate looking".

What's next? Home inspections?

So unless the employer is providing a reasonable car allowance, they have no input on what the employee drives.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife gets a hefty car allowance and the expectation is that she does not roll up in a 2011 Kia or something like that. I believe that part of it has to do with her employer possibly getting upset with someone driving an "economical" car and banking the car allowance.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

A car allowance? I am self employed and I get a car allowance also. Its called work harder and make more money!

Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I received a lecture from upper management about my car early in my career. I graduated with an engineering degree and went to work for IBM in 1982. One of the first things I did was buy a white with blue stripe 1970 Trans Am that had been owned by a soldier who was stationed in California, but transferred to NC. It had a lot of modifications, the engine was a 1970 Grand Prix 455 4-bolt main, 4-spd, 3.73 rear end, and no a/c. It had the old Hooker chrome roll cage, newer seats, headers with very low restriction mufflers, and was filled with Herb Adams and H-O Specialties goodies.

I liked to come in later and leave late to avoid heavy traffic. Our team was developing laser printers, and at the time we were working with Japanese companies on our products. Our facility employed over 5000 people, and the parking lot was separated from the buildings by wooded areas, so unless you saw a person drive into the parking lot, you had no idea what they drove.

Close to 6PM, an upper level manager walked by my office and saw I was still there. He asked me if I would take a high level person from the visiting company to the airport. I agreed, and he came back with a very nice Japanese gentleman dressed in a suit. He spoke English fairly well with a heavy accent.

We walked to the parking lot and I could tell he was quite surprised to see the car he was going to be riding in. His first words were "A race car". We put his bags in the trunk and got in. You guys with headers know that the heat sometimes causes the starter to drag, so I always parked on a hill when possible and cranked it by letting it roll and letting out the clutch. We started rolling down the hill, I let the clutch out, and it roared to life, scared the guy at first. He was interested, asked me how fast it was, and I told him it was very fast (especially considering what was coming out of Detroit in the late 70s and early 80s). I opened it up on the on ramp to the interstate, ran it up to 100 and then back down to 60 in just a few seconds. The look on his life was priceless.

We went on to the airport, I dropped him off and went home. The following Monday I got called into my bosses office and was asked why I was driving recklessly with a visitor from another company. I told him I was never driving recklessly, the guy asked to see a demonstration of my cars power and I went in a straight line for about 12 seconds and then went to posted speed limits. I got the impression the guy went home and exaggerated the story a little, and that he wasn't complaining, it was high higher up that was concerned about the guy's safety. After that, I never got asked to drive any visitors to the airport.,

Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
I don't know...this very well could be real.

The Dealer body that I worked for gave us demo's for years but because of liabilities, did away with them for non sales positions. Being a Parts and Service Director, I lost my demo. In it's place, they gave us a $550.00 per month allowance for a vehicle. The stipulation was, the vehicle you drove had be no older than 5 years old, from the manufacturer in which you worked, (they owned approx 15 different manufacturers), kept clean, etc. If you violated any of the issues, your allowance could be removed.

It's possible he worked in a position where an allowance was given however, I would have thought that would have been mentioned in the letter.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My brother in law needed to take some of his vacation time to pick up some parts for his car that he was working on and his boss was shocked and told him that they paid him too much to work on his own car and to get it into a shop or buy a new car. He was extremely serious about it,

Old 01-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

The way I read this, its much more like a practical joke email being played. JMHO

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve had two situations like this. When I was a wholesale sales guy for commercial plumbing I needed a truck to get in and out of a lot of the job sites. I was usually on site before roads were built. I found a great deal on an orange H2. I loved it. Showed up to work and my boss asked how I expected to ‘poor boy’ my way into any orders driving that.

Another company- I fired a guy because he was underperforming and was lying to customers. Customers called me and said they didn’t want him in their market. This was his 4th market. The guy was a minority. He quickly told HR that I had a car with a confederate flag on it, I was racist and targeted him. Started an investigation within the company and the investigator almost laughed when I showed him a picture of the offending car- my General Lee with John Schneider. I told him that he could also see my bandit, joe dirt trans am, fast and furious grand national....

Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

30 years ago I bought my first house, and money was tight. I had a long commute, and the GTO's used a lot of gas. I bought a beater '63 VW bug for $250, and drove it for the next 10 years, getting about 33 mpg and having virtually no issues other than maintenance. I got a letter from the State of California pleading me to retire my 'inefficient ' old car and to buy a newer, cleaner model. I replied that If there were a new car available that cost $250, got over 30 mpg, cost $27 per year to register, and $200 per year to insure, I would consider it. Never heard back from them. I put 100,000 miles on that bug, and sold it to a friend for $250 in 2000. Paid it forward. That car saved me thousands of dollars.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, I know it happens, but in writing is a huge legal advantage for the car owner.. so I smell..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	47
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	529682