THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Best states fir rust-free used vehicles?

Looking to purchase a few year old Dodge Ram truck. Living in the rust belt (Mich.), I'd prefer to buy out of state. Some say go to Georgia or Carolinas but how risky is this due to flood vehicles?

How about Oklahoma?

Appreciate recommendations.

Thanks!

Semper Fi
Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 PM

So Cal.

Arizona.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my car from Fla and it was originally sold in Corpus Christi TX. From spending its life around the gulf it had more than its share of rust. I got a donor car from New Jersey that had a perfect body, but the bottom was completely gone. It was obvious the original must have parked it in a garage and kept the body cleaned and waxed while not paying attention to the underside.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I got my car from Fla and it was originally sold in Corpus Christi TX. From spending its life around the gulf it had more than its share of rust. I got a donor car from New Jersey that had a perfect body, but the bottom was completely gone. It was obvious the original must have parked it in a garage and kept the body cleaned and waxed while not paying attention to the underside.

People seem oblivious to the facts that a large amount of population of Texas lives close to the Gulf of Mexico, and that the Gulf is a salt water body! Prevailing winds are constantly blowing salty air over the land. Growing up in the Houston area in the 70's and 80's, I thought it was normal for 3 year old cars to have rust holes.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
People seem oblivious to the facts that a large amount of population of Texas lives close to the Gulf of Mexico, and that the Gulf is a salt water body! Prevailing winds are constantly blowing salty air over the land. Growing up in the Houston area in the 70's and 80's, I thought it was normal for 3 year old cars to have rust holes.
And you seem oblivious to the fact that a large amount of the population in Texas does not live close to the Gulf of Mexico.

As a 28 year resident of the DFW metroplex, I am always amazed by the rust free condition of old cars that have been in this area since they were new.

No salt, and just like the vast majority of the state, no issues with "blowing salty air" here.

And, of course, there is not a spec of rust on my 2008 Ram.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
And you seem oblivious to the fact that a large amount of the population in Texas does not live close to the Gulf of Mexico.

As a 28 year resident of the DFW metroplex, I am always amazed by the rust free condition of old cars that have been in this area since they were new.

No salt, and just like the vast majority of the state, no issues with "blowing salty air" here.

And, of course, there is not a spec of rust on my 2008 Ram.
Why are you acting that way?

"Large" does not mean "most," it just infers a significant percentage. A quick look at any population map shows that the coastal areas are more densely populated than are the super-dry areas of West Texas and the Texas Panhandle.

Probably about 1 out of every 3 "Texas cars" spent a fair amount of time in salty air.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arizona, the metal is like new, the interiors are baked if the car stays in the sun very much. The paint also bakes away too when exposed to the sun.

I just picked up a 99 GP from AZ that has zero rust anywhere.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Colorado....Idaho......then the obvious California,Arizona, Texas, Nevada

Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Colorado, and they're not crispy from the California sun.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s
well worth it....even with 1,000.00 tow bill

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, I agree with most of your statement, not trying to start a brand war because it wouldn't matter. Everyone has their favorites and nothing will persuade them otherwise. My experience with my 06 F 150 has been great. No, there is no rust on it. It has been well maintained and garage kept most of its life. Now pushing close to 300,000 miles. FX-4, has been used as a construction truck its entire life. Will pull a case skid loader no problem, and regularily pulls my 16' box trailer loaded with tools. I have even pulled a trans am or two on occasion. Biggest issue is the dang exhaust manifold that leaks, but that has happened since day one! Ive gotten tired of replacing it and have learned to live with the noise. Only other pet peeve is the side bolster is worn out on the driver seat. Dont know why they cant re-inforce that a bit so it would last a little longer. I like the looks of the dodge trucks, and chevy's too.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Chief, I agree with most of your statement, not trying to start a brand war because it wouldn't matter. Everyone has their favorites and nothing will persuade them otherwise. My experience with my 06 F 150 has been great. No, there is no rust on it. It has been well maintained and garage kept most of its life. Now pushing close to 300,000 miles. FX-4, has been used as a construction truck its entire life. Will pull a case skid loader no problem, and regularily pulls my 16' box trailer loaded with tools. I have even pulled a trans am or two on occasion. Biggest issue is the dang exhaust manifold that leaks, but that has happened since day one! Ive gotten tired of replacing it and have learned to live with the noise. Only other pet peeve is the side bolster is worn out on the driver seat. Dont know why they cant re-inforce that a bit so it would last a little longer. I like the looks of the dodge trucks, and chevy's too.
Well I know a fellow racer that pulls a 28' enclosed trailer full with 2 Jr. dragsters, a Maverick (or Comet), golf cart, pit bike, tools and compressor with an Ecoboost F150. If I did not see it with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe it. The thing is that a 1/2 ton may pull a big load but it is not safe. Remember the Tundra commercial where a Tundra was pulling the Space Shuttle?

By the way, does your F150 have a 5.0 or a 5.4?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Colorado....snow, salt...rust?

Semper Fi
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
Colorado....snow, salt...rust?
Nope ...unless they have changed the way they treat roads now....maybe someone from there,will chime in

Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Nope ...unless they have changed the way they treat roads now....maybe someone from there,will chime in
Got a friend that lives in Colorado Springs and we talk almost daily, he tells me cars definitely rust away there when daily driven in winter, and suffer from high elevation dryness/sunburning when predominantly left outside as well. Paint and everything else suffers.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1) places where the winter isn't extreme, so no salt is used

2) places not too close to the ocean, where the salt in the air can't eat sheetmetal

3) if it's a hot climate, hopefully the car hasn't cooked outside... too much.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its the bigger motor, must be the 5.4. I think a 28' trailer would be pushing it a bit! My brother actually had the truck from brand new, (we were in business together) and when it was a couple of years old he bought a toy hauler camper. I would guess the thing is about 28' or so. The dealer put one of those fancy equalizer hitch set up thingys on it. He drove the camper from the dealer to his house. Went to the Ford store the next day and bought a F250 diesel. That's when I got the F150. (it was better equipped than my f150 and we put that one into the fleet). He traded that up a couple of years ago on an F350.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 PM
Suspended

The cleanest cars all around that I have ever seen come from the California east bay area and other non-coastal parts of the bay area. Very mild winters with zero salt, warm dry summers, sea level so the sun does not destroy the soft bits and rubber, etc.. Arizona and other high desert cars are generally dry as far as rust goes, but everything gets cooked. Paint, rubber and plastic trim, weatherstrips, interiors, dashboard, glass, window tint, etc etc etc., all age much faster due to the heat and high elevation sun. I see it here in the Reno area to a lesser extent as well. The cars that stay out more into the desert east of the sierras get cooked, the cars that live on town and around tahoe rust. Paint cooks faster with elevation.

So, in short.. west coast inland cars south of the California-Oregon border that are not at higher elevation or in the more heavily forested areas. The bay area is dry enough where cars don't rust with any kind of reasonable care, but not so dry that the soft parts dissolve.

Case in point, my '71 Bonneville spent its whole life in the mostly dry east bay, was rarely garaged its whole life, daily driven rain or shine, was never painted or even really well taken care of until I took possession of it, and it is almost completely rust free, no cracks in the dash, soft interior upholstery remarkably good, etc.. If that car spent its life in Arizona the dash would be cracked to hell, tops of the door panels sunburned, glass delaminating, etc..

Lots of good bay area cars and trucks out there. That's probably where I'd look.

Except not if I lived in Michigan.. what's the point of buying a cherry creampuff from out of state only to destroy it with Michigan salty winters? If I lived in Michigan I'd have classics that only get driven in nice weather and a beater daily driver. I see no point in paying a premium to buy something nice only to see it rust away.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 AM
Senior Chief

I like this thread as its great info for me doing a bit of research wanting a rust less car,
John L

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
Looking to purchase a few year old Dodge Ram truck. Living in the rust belt (Mich.), I'd prefer to buy out of state. Some say go to Georgia or Carolinas but how risky is this due to flood vehicle ?
No Risks if you zone in on the "Piedmont Area" of NC
No flooding in this region, no mountain snow road salt, no coastal air.
From about Hickory (west) on out past Raleigh (east)
WinstonSalem, High Point, Greensboro, Burlington, Durham to name a few more well populated areas with lots of cars.

20 year old cars in the junkyards around here are still rust free.
You can find an excellent 3-5 year old Dodge Truck with zero corrosion anywhere.
Alternators still have nice clean cases, no rusty bolts or brake lines. etc .....

Once in a while a stray nothern car will come into a salvage yard.
You can spot them right away.
Its pitiful