Old 12-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cam driven fuel pump

Anybody done this?

I ordered the Enderle 3/8" hex drive setup from a 289. It appears that this setup is for a single bolt cam gear like the traditional Pontiac is. While the washer/hex drive mount will likely not work, its the easy piece to make. The hex drive is the hard part, and that piece just attaches to the washer with 3 bolts.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Anybody done this?

I ordered the Enderle 3/8" hex drive setup from a 289. It appears that this setup is for a single bolt cam gear like the traditional Pontiac is. While the washer/hex drive mount will likely not work, its the easy piece to make. The hex drive is the hard part, and that piece just attaches to the washer with 3 bolts.
Check with Marks73TA here on the board. Think he's using an old Moon timing cover and a Hilborn pump.

FWIW ford uses a dowel (iirc 5/16") instead of a keyway for their cam gear(Small blocks and 460's maybe FE not sure). Wouldnt be hard to duplicate on a Pontiac. I noticed on a Kasse build that he added a second dowel.
Probably need to add dowel(s) long enough to keep your pump drive from rotating.
Ford and BB Mopar use a hex drive on their oil pumps so you might repurpose and modify some pieces there as well. (Bottom of Ford distributor gear is also hex)

Old 12-11-2016, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Enderle E-5009 hex drive for the 289 that attaches to the front of the cam looks like this.

The hex piece can be attached to any custom retainer washer that has the 3 holes. We can make that piece to fit the Pontiac, and drill those 3 holes for the 3/8" drive. So this shouldn't be difficult.

The hardened 3/8" hex rod is available in short lengths. The Titan oil pump is also hex drive.

I was looking at a rear mount cable drive pump, but there simply isn't any place to put the pump drive pulley with the cable drive attachment. Still might work that out, but if not, it will be cam drive. The cam drive needs a primer pump on a pushbutton and that pump needs a one way valve plumbed in. The Bosch 044 FI pump is what we will use for those times prime is lost and it has a built in check valve. Normally, because the return line is close to the bottom of the tank prime won't go away. But the return line is angle cut, so its possible with a low level in the gas tank that the return line can be exposed to air. In that case, fuel can flow away from the pump and priming will be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-5009.gif
Views:	48
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	442456  

Last edited by Tom McQueen; 12-11-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom. I'm using an adaptor to fit a Chevy "spud" on the Pontiac cam. It was designed by Steve Barcak and is machined by Bergeron. No sure if that is the full name (could be Bergeron Machine???) located on Country Club Drive/Road Just south of the 202. If you look it up on the computer you should be able to find the address and phone number. I just drove in and asked if someone would make the adaptor for me. They had a couple extra from a previous run so I got it right away. They made it out of aluminum, it bolts on using a longer cam bolt that you will need to provide. The bolt head sets down in a well, the top of the well is where the Chevy "spud" bolts to. The original cam gear drive pin hole in the cam gets a shear pin that is drilled in the adaptor to help keep it from ever spinning. Steve designed it for his dragster out of aluminum. My only concern, as it is with the one I put on my car, is that is aluminum. I worry that it could fail at some time if it is used on a motor for the street where it may see a lot of miles. If you contact them and ask if they can make one for you, I would ask that they make it out of steel. Just a heads up. I'm only driving a cam sensor off of it now instead of a fuel pump so I think it may be OK for my need. It could still be fine in aluminum for a pump but I just wanted to give you a heads up.
This is the spud and the adaptor.

Bottom of the adaptor where you can see the drive pin hole.

The adaptor and the spud setting together.

Mark

Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Mark. I think that would be Bergeron Marine. Its a boat place and I know exactly where it is.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, dat be da place.

Mark