Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plastic windows for '63 sport roof catalina.

I would like to find plastic/plexi-glass (or whatever the correct name is) for the scratch resistant light weight rear light (back window) and the side windows. Does anyone have a source for these, especially something that fits the original chrome glass surrounds? I found a '64 on Craigslist down here for sale about 7 years ago that was set up for the strip. When I looked at it they had replaced the side windows with plexi by a local glass shop and the shop had used a rubber channel that fit the chrome surrounds and held the thinner plexi perfectly in the surrounds. But they seller was not the owner and did not know anything other than a local shop did it. But could not tell me where.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. The side glass itself is flat pieces so if I can't find a ready source I may try myself. But the back window is another matter.

Mark

Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, reach out to Scott Tiemann at Supercar Specialities in Portland, Michigan. If their avaible he will know where to get them, I am pretty sure they are available.

Tim john---

Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd use Lexan over plexiglass.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We made all 8 windows from flat Lexan scratch resistant sheet for our race 63 Tempest wagon. It is very easy to work with. Made cardboard templates, cut out with saber saw and screwed into window frames. Used the factory trim for a stock look. The windows were fixed, however. If you want them to roll up and down, a little more work will be required. Although scratch resistant, keep the protective paper on until all fitting and drilling is complete. We were pleasantly surprised how well the Lexan will bend and conform to the curves in the factory glass, such as the windshield.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, MARK! You ARE alive, LOL!

mgarblik, what Lexan thickness did you use?

For DOOR glass replacement, I have to believe that you could get Lexan in an equal-thickness as the OEM glass and have it fit into the stock lift, etc.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a side note, you can also take Lexan and bend it in a metal break just like sheet metal. I do it all the time at work for making protective guards. Thickness that I bend is .125"

Tim john---

Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lexan is more UV resistant than plexiglass.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lexan won't shatter like plexiglass either.

Tim john---

Old 05-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you all for the replies and info. I'm thinking the flat Lexan should be easy to make myself, except I'm not sure I can make the back light??? Funny thing is, after all the stuff I've fabricated on this car, I completely forgot about making them myself. Senior moment I guess. Time to investigate finding Lexan.
HEY, yeah, still alive Matt. Getting older and slower but not quite dead yet, LOL! Getting ready to fire up the '63. Changed completely over from the twin blow thru's to MS3 Pro Megasquirt EFI over the winter. My son has the Megasquirt unit. The unit is not communicating with my lap top so he's trying to find out why. Otherwise I may have had it running last Sunday. It's good seeing you in posts and replies.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:21 PM

The SD Cat I owned had plexi or Lexan windshield and back glasses. Tieman may be a good person to ask. Not sure how you would mold a flat piece yourself.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Lowes sells Lexan sheet. Also there is a lot on Amazon. If your planning on tinting I don't think Lexan holds it well.