THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Well it goes both ways.

If any of you know what snowplow shoes (or feet) are, I answered a C/L ad for a pair of new ones for $10.00. The guy was only a couple of miles from my house so I rushed over to buy them. The guy told me he got a text from a guy that said he will take them IF the seller would deliver them almost 25 miles away. Are you kidding me!

The other, and one that bugs the hell out of me, is that no one can spell BUMPER anymore. Its always BUMBER. What the hell is a BUMBER? There is a guy out my way that has a listing for a Mustang BUMBER for over a year now. He claims his Mustang BUMBER is TRIPLE BLACK. Duh!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just checked the urban dictionary for "bumber". There's 4 definitions but this one fits the bill, the others are more creative.

bumber
Another "word" for a bumper, as on a vehicle, except spelled in such a way that the moron using it obviously has no common sense to know that a bumper is named for a reason...It is what you BUMP things with if you're not careful
I need a bumber for my car, someone hit me.
by MoronsPissMeOff July 12, 2017

Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Suspended

LMAO ^ ^ ^

Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Hmmm....

Here is an interesting one that just popped up > 高价收购旧车

I'm not clicking on it.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had mixed success with CL. The key is hit delete on any reply that smells fishy. If I reply, I remove the Re: subject line so the scammer can't figure out which CL he posted the ad to. I ask "Where do you live". A lot never reply because they can't figure out which city they posted from.

The free ads seem to bring out morons. Back in the early fall, we had a huge neighborhood yard sale. I live in an older subdivision, and all of the homes are on 1.5 - 5 acre tracts. The guy directly across the street from my house has a huge open area with large trees around the perimiter. When his kids were younger, he hauled in dirt and made a motocross style track. The neighbor keeps it well maintained, and allows a neighborhood yard sale one or twice a year, but only when the weather is nice. There is a creek that runs along one side, the ground can get mushy when it rains.

So the yard sale came and went, weather was beautiful. Usually after a yard sale, there are a lot of items people just want to get rid of, so we put all of the stuff in the center and post an ad in the CL free section. The only stipulation stated in the ad is you have to carry it out (at least 100 ft), because the land owner doesn't want people to show up in huge trucks and leave ruts. This year the land owner had somewhere to go on Sunday, so I said I would block the driveway with my Suburbanf and help haul off anything left over to the dump. My son left his car trailer for me to haul stuff off with.

The ad was placed late Saturday night, and early Sunday AM I see a truck with a trailer, with several people walking around my Suburban. It was locked, but I had tools and some yard sale stuff my wife bought in the back. I walked down and asked what they were doing, and the guy in charge says "some a**hole left this POS in the driveway". I replied that I was the a**hole, and the POS was there to prevent people from driving on the grass. He replied that other people drove on the grass, and I told him the land owner was there overseeing people setting up and leaving for the yard sale, and that it was his decision to block the driveway. He got smart and I told him he could carry out anything he wanted, but he wasn't driving on the grass. He told me he could drag my POS out of the way. I told him I didn't make threats, but it wouldn't be a good idea for him to do anything stupid. I went back home, got out my rifle with a scope out and watched him from the upstairs bedroom window. He was about 250 ft away.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite "dealing with idiots" experience was in the 90's in Oregon, when I bought the old RatBird Formula 400. Was there at the kitchen table getting the money out to buy. Seller was a nice guy, hot rod dude and all. So in the middle of counting money, his wall phone rings. About 10 seconds into the call he says: "I wouldn't sell you that car if you were the last person on the face of this earth". And slammed the old Ma Bell tank of a phone (like you could) really hard down. You had to be there, but it was just damn funny.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
The most frustrating stuff is junk I say is free. I quit putting free stuff on CL because one person always responds immediately that they want it, but you never hear back, 10 other people want it but can't come till the weekend... I started putting stuff on Facebook but it's the same way. A local guy is always looking for free scrap, guess his family needs the money. I had a little bit I said he could have. He was gonna be here at 7pm on a beautiful summer evening. So now were stuck all evening waiting for this dude. Sure enough at 7pm he texts me and says his truck is full and he can't make it tonight! Like he couldn't have told me at 4 or 5 that it's full? He bugged me for a few days but I ignored him. Posted a very large chicken coup for free, I never knew how popular chicken coups are, especially free ones. First people said there were coming tonight, then they couldn't find a trailer, then couldn't get a truck, then in the morning, then afternoon... Eventually I showed a little frustration because of the wasted time but they did show and got it out of here. I'm never saying anything is free again.
Free really brings out a special kind of person.

I had a nice swing set at a house I was selling and the buyer didn't want it so I posted it up on Craigslist for free. Right off the bat a guy e-mails me with his phone number and says he'll be there at 2:00 that afternoon (saturday) to pick it up, has tools and a truck to take it away with - great, it's yours I'll meet you there. I continue to get e-mails but don't bother to call anyone, leave about an hour ahead of his arrival to go mow the lawn there. 2:00 comes, no guy so I call him. His schedule changed he wouldn't be able to get there until 5:00 now - sorry, you lose! We go back & forth, him telling me his sob story and that he had already told his kids he was getting them a swing set and what is he supposed to tell them now. I told him to tell his kids that if he had kept the appointment that HE made that they would have had their swingset but since he was inconsiderate of anyone elses time that he wasn't - all sorts of anger and that it was his and I couldn't give it away to anyone else and he was going to call the cops - I said do it! They are only 4 doors down, they could walk here!

I started calling the other e-mails, got voice mail, hung up, next, same thing, third, same thing. Finally while all this was going on I got another e-mail so I called that number next and this girl answers - she said she could be there in 20 minutes so I waited, helped her take it apart & load it - by 3:00 we were done.

The first guy kept calling me until I blocked his number, leaving increasingly vulgar and threatening messages, so I stopped at the police department when I left the house and played them for the dispatcher. They called my new friend and asked him to stop in when he got to town, I don't think he ever came.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	470223  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Special kind of stupid is more like it.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
The other, and one that bugs the hell out of me, is that no one can spell BUMPER anymore. Its always BUMBER. What the hell is a BUMBER? There is a guy out my way that has a listing for a Mustang BUMBER for over a year now. He claims his Mustang BUMBER is TRIPLE BLACK. Duh!
Add tire 'thread' to that. Drives me nuts.

Speaking of tires/wheels. I was looking for a specific set of wheels/tires for my wife's car a month or so back. Lots of new takeoff options on eBay, but I prefer to 'see' what I'm buying. Found a set on CL NJ and went back and forth with the guy selling them as he claimed he had someone lined up to buy them, but that the person in question was having trouble getting the cash together.

Told him that I was a cash buyer, not into playing games and that I would be there when I said I would. He agreed to let me have them and we set it up for me to pick them up early the following Saturday morning. I went to the bank beforehand and got the cash out. I texted him Friday afternoon to make sure we were still on for the Saturday meet only for him to tell me that the original guy had been in touch with him and that he was coming to pick them up that evening.

I didn't even respond to the text - I jumped right on eBay and purchased a set there instead.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good friend went to look at a 69 GTO that was on Portland CL, had been hit really hard on the driver side, the driver died in the wreck. Friend was buying it mostly for the engine and 4 speed tranny. He offered the guy $2100 on a $2500 asking price and pulled out cash. The guy said "wait, I had another guy want it but he low balled me but I want to check with him and see if he'll match your offer." Friend left with cash in hand and never got a call back.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I listed a set of custom wheels on CL. One guy advised he wanted them and would I be willing to drive halfway (1 Hr) to meet him. We agreed on a location and time and the price. I make the drive, he shows up, I show him one of the wheels and tells me he is $100 short.

Obviously a dick move, so without saying a word, I put the wheel back in the car and left. I figured it was better to waste his time just like he wasted mine than sit there and negotiate after the fact.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years back I saw a set of rims for sale on CL The asking price was OK and the guy was in Kenosha,about 10 miles south,so he was pretty close.
I messaged asking him if he still had the rims.
He replied- "Yes"
OK,here's my phone #,call and we'll set up a time,then I'll come right over and check them out. No reply
I E-mail the next day asking if he still has them,he again replies "Yes".
I ask him to call or E-mail to set up a time for me to come look-no response.
I E-mail the next day "Do you WANT to sell the rims?"
"Yes"
OK,get back to me,I'll come look. No response!!
About a month later he renewed the ad,I went through the same crap with him,sent my phone #,blah blah blah. Never did get a response beyond "Yes"

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had to liquidate Mother in Law's estate after Dad passed, so I posted some free stuff on CL...hundreds of board ft. of hardwoods, oak, mahogany, maple. An entire professional darkroom (all color film stuff), big stainless sink,computers, etc.
Got many phone calls from people wanting the stuff, and would be there in a flash, blah, blah!! Of course no one shows up, so wound up burning all of the wood, taking the other stuff to the landfill and kicking it off the truck!!
Haven't dealt with CL since!

68 GTO
Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 PM

I must be lucky, for the most part I've had great experiences buying & selling. Was burned one time & drove 2 hours to buy a trailer that seller was going to hold till I arrived & was 5 minutes away from location & received text message stating trailer was sold. I'm not going to let one bad experience ruin future craigslist deals. I've meet a lot of other cool car enthusiast who have told me about other parts/cars that may be available.

SEVEN UPS 2.0 TAKING THE THIRD DEGREE ONE STEP FURTHER

2016 1/8 MILE 7.0 @ 100 MPH 406 B&M MINI BLOWER
Old 12-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
A few years back I saw a set of rims for sale on CL The asking price was OK and the guy was in Kenosha,about 10 miles south,so he was pretty close.
I messaged asking him if he still had the rims.
He replied- "Yes"
OK,here's my phone #,call and we'll set up a time,then I'll come right over and check them out. No reply
I E-mail the next day asking if he still has them,he again replies "Yes".
I ask him to call or E-mail to set up a time for me to come look-no response.
I E-mail the next day "Do you WANT to sell the rims?"
"Yes"
OK,get back to me,I'll come look. No response!!
About a month later he renewed the ad,I went through the same crap with him,sent my phone #,blah blah blah. Never did get a response beyond "Yes"

Sometimes responses go to a Spam folder. It's happened to me both selling something and buying something. A guy had a fireplace insert I was interested in. I must have replied to his add 4-5 times over the course of a month. He finally replied, and when I told him about the other attempts to contact him, he said he never got anything.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ready for restoration!

This is code for: I beat the crap out of the car , sold the good parts, parked it in the yard with the windows open or broken and now it is good'n rusty for you. Hey, thanks so much for getting it ready for restoration for me!!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 PM
Suspended

This must be the winner > https://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/d...427605425.html

Quote:
Craigslist loser

716-292-0355
typical craigslist bulls hitter wasting people's time
says he lives down the road from you but keeps not showing up to buy the item
you're less than 3 minutes away but can't find time to stop by and you don't show multiple times when you give me a time that you will stop over? why waste somebodies time and tell them you're interested and you're going to buy the stuff when you have no intentions to? people like you give craigslist a bad name. Have some decency and don't waste people's time if you're not going to show.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
. .

...police department when I left the house and played them for the dispatcher. They called my new friend and asked him to stop in when he got to town, I don't think he ever came.
That guy is a moron for not jumping on that for free. Several of my neighbors have kids older than mine, and their 10 y/o swingsets All sit unused in their yards. They don’t look too hot - I think they are all designed to last the 8 years your kids will play with it, then fall apart. Good luck finding a used one that isn’t beat.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a $100 CL rule on me selling. Anything of less value that is good, I put in the alley by the pole, and it disappears in a day or less. Something about the $20 wheeler dealers that gets too complicated to be worth it too often.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually found a reasonably nice 1971-75 Firebird Formula hood on CL near me. Just over the border in Delaware. He wanted $300 but when i got there he said he was cleaning out his garage and he'd take $260. Other than the 80-mile drive down there, it worked out well. (a rare occurrence to say the least).