THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Montana is old car friendly, yes. That is the Ying. The Yang is May-Oct old car driving season. Even new car friendly here. You can rip the cats off a new car, smash the front so it has no lights, and still drive it! Road worthy can sometimes only mean duct tape. (to the sound of banjo's playin')

Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
California is, surprisingly, very "old car friendly."
Yea and they’re very solid as well.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

South Carolina DMV is a pain in the ass as are all DMV in every state. No restrictions on mileage or usage. Low insurance premiums and property taxes are about 12 dollars a year. You either have to have a title from your transferring state or a recent bill of sale from a state that doesn’t require titles. If you get antique plates you have restrictions but I have never actually seen a set except at the police academy. We don’t salt the roads only sand and it very rarely snows deep enough to make driving a problem. Ice in the mountains is a danger but unless you live up there you got no business driving on those roads in the ice anyway cause there is nothing up there.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm ... Maryland my Maryland is ranked 39th - score 555. The 'occasional use' clause in Historic registration makes it easy for me to drive my '69 Chevy truck almost every day, which I do.

Laws are one thing. Enforcement is another. I have found that as long as the vehicle does not look like a hunk of junk the cops don't care. Drove my historic tagged '69 GTO with 1969 period tags for years. Being baby blue those tags stuck out like a sore thumb on a shiny bright red car. Got pulled over for loud exhaust and bad blinker. Never a word about the Historics.

Few months back I was sitting in my truck at a red light in a busy 6 lane intersection when a State trooper pulled next to me. Tapped his siren to get my attention. Thought to myself, oh great. Here comes the ticket. Nope. He was having a nostalgia moment and wanted to ask about the truck. Light turned green and we continued to talk for about 30 seconds. Nobody behind us honked.

Also ... July 1st two years ago wording in the MD law was changed to specifically rule out commercial vehicles. Primarily because some companies were populating their fleets with 25+ year old trucks since they required no inspections, safety of otherwise.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 07-25-2019, 12:45 PM

PA the best State, there are old cars, trucks, tractors, engines, of all kinds in almost every other garage and shop in my area alone. Car related events every weekend, sometimes having 3 or 4 to choose from. There’s even cruise in’s on week nights.

Of course the best reason to be here is I’m here. I think Champ should come here.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 07-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at Georgia and something jumped out at me immediately that I know is wrong, unless it was changed this year.
It shows that Georgia requires a title for cars 1962 and newer. I have registered at least a dozen vehicles without titles in Georgia. In fact, they won't even give you a title if you request it for an older car. All you need is a BOS signed by the registered owner. Doesn't even have to be notarized. I've taken them in there on spiral notebook paper.

I don't blame the article writer though...the Georgia DMV site indicates that the car has to be 1962 or earlier to be excused but I don't understand why it says that... In fact, I just got my renewal in the mail for a 1980 Datsun Z car. I've never had a title for it.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did find a new looking 1969 tag for my GTO back 6-8 years ago. One time $15 antique vehicle tag. The lady at the counter noted that there were a few restrictions, but honestly, who's going to keep up with that....or care?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I did find a new looking 1969 tag for my GTO back 6-8 years ago. One time $15 antique vehicle tag. The lady at the counter noted that there were a few restrictions, but honestly, who's going to keep up with that....or care?

I think your plate should say.....#1-MONKY lololol.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
PA the best State, there are old cars, trucks, tractors, engines, of all kinds in almost every other garage and shop in my area alone. Car related events every weekend, sometimes having 3 or 4 to choose from. There’s even cruise in’s on week nights.

Of course the best reason to be here is I’m here. I think Champ should come here.
Sorry MA, PA is the 39th ranked state for old cars.

Too restrictive on usage:

Quote:
The restrictions define “occasional use” of a classic or antique vehicle as “no more than one day a week” (in bold letters), which seems extremely restrictive. “Classic cars have a permanent registration but require yearly inspection,” says Brian Padnes, who owns a 1984 Land Rover.
I've been in PA before. It's not a bad place, just not a place I want to live.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant put much stock in a ranking article that knocks 100 points off for states that require a safety inspection. Living in a state that eliminated safety inspections near 20 years ago, sure eliminating the yearly safety inspection freed up interruptions at independepent repair shops, but it also allowed an absolute sea of poorly maintained vehicles to run up and down our streets & busiest interurban expressways. Drivers with parts falling off their cars, totally worn out tires peeling chunks off & bouncing up at speed scuffing the finish on your vehicle. Road debris & a deluge of idiot drivers are exactly why l have no interest in playing the driver game with my Pontiacs.

The condition of roads criteria is also not that well thought out. Having driven all over my home state, there are many many fine condition roads, yet we have a "poor" notated for road conditions. As my state does not have the monstrous road resurfacing budget of a Minnesota or a Florida, sure some roads aren't in that good of shape. If the cruiser/ bug smacker realm was whatever I iived with my Pontiacs, I'm sure all across the state, I would have no problem finding different routes to drive on very nice condition roads. thus the road condition ranking is very arbitrary, all it does is rewards states with high gas taxes & monstrous road resurfacing programs.

Just change the points value on these two criteria and the results of the "rankings" are much different. The number 1 factor I'd take out of this "article" is how much does it cost in fees/taxes to register a collectible vehicle in this state or that. Some states, those costs are very high. Cost of living, whether a state has state income tax, high property taxes, climate, state beauty, all factors into where one might want to relocate. Each also factor into affordability & ease of owning from one to multiples of collector vehicles.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post

I hear that, I don’t really like it here either, but it is what it is. Mike has a very good position in the Company he’s at, his entire family is here, so here is where I’ll be staying. And yes PA is restrictive with cars. I’ve just come to accept it. I know this State is not high on this topic, but where I live the car hobby is hopping.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hagerty usually has pretty well thought out and researched articles. This one pretty much sucked. Seemed like the author did some quick research from the parent's basement and blew out the article. Spent more time on graphics than content.

Question on North Carolina - he says that the car is taxed under property value. He gives an example of $167 .87 property tax every year based on a $10,000 value. So a $40,000 classic car has to pay $671.48 a year? Really?

I'm from California and agree that the state leaves classic cars alone. Author cites smog inspection for classics 1975 or newer - it's 1976 or newer for the few owners that might matter to.

Roads around here are pretty good, but somewhat traction limited. My request to have VHT applied in the intersections was ignored.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post

The one day a week usage is rarely enforced unless you're this guy who illegally has a PA Antique plate.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oastal+highway

PA used to require pictures before they issued a plate and but unfortunately PA stopped that a few years ago.

I've driven my cars more then 1 day a week and have not had issues except for a few years ago where I had a now disgraced borough detective with a personal vendetta against me (his wife was my step mom's best friend and I told my step mom I saw him at a restaurant with a women who I thought was his wife, but my step mom told me that she and his wife were shopping together at that exact same time, thus they ended up divorcing because of what I said), as he knew me and my "Classic tagged" car at the time.

I've personally saved lots of money over the years with the cars being tagged with "Classic & Antique" as I haven't had to worry about paying yearly registration nor safety inspection on the Antiqued tagged cars.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 08-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably hard to compare apples to apples for all states... for example, in Arizona they listed the classic and historical plates available, but then mentioned emissions. If you have classic car insurance, you don't need to pay the extra $25 for a classic car plate, you don't need emissions, and therefore you can get 5 year tags for $60 (last time I registered). And you can drive with the top down year round on great roads, and there are car shows everywhere every weekend. I'd rank it a little higher than where it landed on the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ car show.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	517012  

Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I looked at Georgia and something jumped out at me immediately that I know is wrong, unless it was changed this year.
It shows that Georgia requires a title for cars 1962 and newer. I have registered at least a dozen vehicles without titles in Georgia. In fact, they won't even give you a title if you request it for an older car. All you need is a BOS signed by the registered owner. Doesn't even have to be notarized. I've taken them in there on spiral notebook paper.

I don't blame the article writer though...the Georgia DMV site indicates that the car has to be 1962 or earlier to be excused but I don't understand why it says that... In fact, I just got my renewal in the mail for a 1980 Datsun Z car. I've never had a title for it.
It’s a typo it’s 1982. I’ve bought a ton of cars in Georgia even the tempest I am restoring now

Old 08-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wisconsin collector plates, 20 years or older, must have regular plated vehicle, suppose to be stock and can't drive in January. My 69 GTO has headers 3"- 2 1/2" exhaust and a 2801 Summit cam. I have collector plates on every thing that is 20 years or older, one time registration. You can get an exemption to drive your collector vehicle in January if your primary vehicle breaks down. I drive my 69 all the time, drove to work for a week, drive it when it is raining. They also have a hobbyist plate for modified vehicles.

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are 100 counties in N.C. The tax rate varies and is set by the county you are registered in.