EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 01-31-2019, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone Using Holley's New Muscle Car EFI Fuel Modules

I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my Q-Jet and going with the Holley Sniper EFI. For the fuel system one option is to replace the tank with one of Tank Inc EFI ready tanks which takes care of all of the fuel problems with the conversion. I was thinking of using the 3/8" stainless steel line that is already in the car as the return line and run a new 3/8" fuel hose for the supply line. The other option is to go with what the Holley Tech recommended which is their new Muscle Car EFI Fuel Sending/Pump Modules which replaces your stock sending unit and eliminates the need to run a return line, return fuel is handled within the sending unit, and you use your stock tank and fuel lines, as long as they are 3/8". Here is the link https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-302

Has anyone out there used these new sending units, and if so, are you having any problems? It does seem like a lot easier and less expensive than having to replace the new tank with another new tank and having to run another fuel line. Did I mention the tank is full of fuel? Fun, fun

Thanks,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I would recommend the new tank, it's the best option. What you can do however is run the corvette regulator/filter combination. You would then plumb EFI hose to that regulator from the tank, and back as the return. You can then use your existing 3/8 line to the Sniper and dead head it there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...iABEgIbqvD_BwE

That way, you get the advantages of a true EFI ready tank and the ease of installation without a lot of hose that you get from the Holley fuel module.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I would recommend the new tank, it's the best option. What you can do however is run the corvette regulator/filter combination. You would then plumb EFI hose to that regulator from the tank, and back as the return. You can then use your existing 3/8 line to the Sniper and dead head it there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...iABEgIbqvD_BwE

That way, you get the advantages of a true EFI ready tank and the ease of installation without a lot of hose that you get from the Holley fuel module.
Thanks for the reply and information. That filter/regulator is very similar to what is attached and used on the Holley in tank pump/sending unit. It has a pressure regulator set to 58.5lbs, which is what the Sniper 4150 EFI uses, and has a bypass that sends any unused fuel right back to the tank. In theory it sounds like it is a good system and should work. Before I spend that kind of money it would be nice to hear from someone that has actually used it, especially on a hot summer day. I agree with you that the new tank sounds like the "best" option but if this sending unit works just as well for a few hundred less, then it sounds very tempting.

Thanks again,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What type of driving do you do with the car? If you partake in driving that can result in the pickup being uncovered, unlike with a carb that you have the bowl to help you out, you don't have that with EFI. It's why EFI tanks have built in sumps and baffles to prevent fuel slosh and keep the pickup covered during all driving maneuvers.

If the car is only ever cruised around, doesn't see hard launches or anything like that, you can probably get away with it. If you drive the car spiritedly you'll likely need to keep the tank at least about half full at all times.

I run a Tanks Inc setup in my bird and it's absolutely as good as it sounds. Hard acceleration, braking, hard cornering, even below 1/4 tank I've never had fuel starvation with my setup. Like you I tried saving a couple hundred at first on the fuel system, only to fight the car, end up tearing it out and doing what I should have done in the first place, which is the EFI ready tank and fuel pump.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What type of driving do you do with the car? If you partake in driving that can result in the pickup being uncovered, unlike with a carb that you have the bowl to help you out, you don't have that with EFI. It's why EFI tanks have built in sumps and baffles to prevent fuel slosh and keep the pickup covered during all driving maneuvers.

If the car is only ever cruised around, doesn't see hard launches or anything like that, you can probably get away with it. If you drive the car spiritedly you'll likely need to keep the tank at least about half full at all times.

I run a Tanks Inc setup in my bird and it's absolutely as good as it sounds. Hard acceleration, braking, hard cornering, even below 1/4 tank I've never had fuel starvation with my setup. Like you I tried saving a couple hundred at first on the fuel system, only to fight the car, end up tearing it out and doing what I should have done in the first place, which is the EFI ready tank and fuel pump.
I don't race the car but I do like driving it like it is intended. That is a good point about the bowls of the carburetor versus the EFI system. And you are right, I don't want to have to do it again just to save a few dollars now. I could always not do the billet distributor right now and run it with the current Unilite and not do the ignition timing control until later. That would save a lot on the initial install cost.

I also saw that Spectra Premium has an EFI tank complete with fuel pump and sending unit which is about $200 less than the Tanks Inc unit. But it surprises me their tank doesn't have baffles and an internal pump reservoir. Plus they get a lot of bad reviews for their pumps failing.

Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their pumps are probably failing because they are being uncovered in operation, by not having the baffling and internal sump.

If the Holley unit has a built in fuel mat like the Aeromotive phantom retrofit, that would be the next best option over a tank without baffling and no internal sump. Heck even tank's inc's retrofit GPA pump at least has an attached mini-sump.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...yABEgKnrPD_BwE

In my opinion the Aeromotive Phantom retrofit pump module is the best out there for use in a factory or non-efi tank. Good for people that don't have readily available aftermarket EFI tanks. It's cost at $495.00 is just a couple nights not eating out away from being a full tanks inc setup though.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Their pumps are probably failing because they are being uncovered in operation, by not having the baffling and internal sump.

If the Holley unit has a built in fuel mat like the Aeromotive phantom retrofit, that would be the next best option over a tank without baffling and no internal sump. Heck even tank's inc's retrofit GPA pump at least has an attached mini-sump.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...yABEgKnrPD_BwE

In my opinion the Aeromotive Phantom retrofit pump module is the best out there for use in a factory or non-efi tank. Good for people that don't have readily available aftermarket EFI tanks. It's cost at $495.00 is just a couple nights not eating out away from being a full tanks inc setup though.
Yes the Holley pump/sending unit retrofit system has a sock that is supposed to keep the system from cavitating. This is what it says, "Includes a Holley HydraMat with its unique internal reservoir, which keeps fuel available at the pickup while also providing protection from contaminates
Fuel pressure is regulated internally and preset at 58psi, eliminating the added expense of purchasing an external fuel pressure regulator
No return line needed. All return fuel is handled inside the tank". Decisions decisions, oh well, its only money

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For your purpose, if your current tank is in good condition, the holley module not be a bad option since it does use the hydromat and has an internal reservoir. If you were ever going to the track, or decided you wanted to have some fun in the canyons for a day, just make sure the tank is full or near full and I think you'll be fine.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
For your purpose, if your current tank is in good condition, the holley module not be a bad option since it does use the hydromat and has an internal reservoir. If you were ever going to the track, or decided you wanted to have some fun in the canyons for a day, just make sure the tank is full or near full and I think you'll be fine.
The car is all new, I just got through restoring it two years ago. So it has a brand new tank and new stainless steel 3/8" fuel lines. I don't mind spending the extra money if I have to, I just hate removing a new tank and sending unit that has less than 1000 miles on them. If I do the Holley Muscle Car Module then I can do the new billet distributor and adjustable rotor at the same time and have the EFI control the timing. Its bad enough removing a freshly rebuilt Q-Jet, performance Edelbrock fuel pump, and new 3/8" sending unit and setting them on the shelf. I guess there is a reason my wife calls it the money pit.

Thanks for the advice,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

Default L#

Here’s the LS filter set-up

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LSFuelFilter.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	504415  

Last edited by mklinger; 01-31-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinger View Post
Here’s the LS filter set-up
Sorry, nothing got posted.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Fixed

Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinger View Post
Fixed
Thanks, nice car. So if that is off of a stock setup then the idea that Holley is using for the Muscle Car Modules should be a good design and work well, in theory. They are using a pressure regulator and bypass to return unused fuel with their in-tank fuel pump. The big difference is that you are using an original tank with no baffles.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 PM
Senior Chief

I have a Tanks Inc tank with in tank pump.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Chief

I like the Power Surge: https://www.robbmcperformance.com/pr...owersurge.html

It's easy to install, you can keep all your old equipment and if your fuel tank has a 1/4" return or larger you can use it. Feed should be 3/8" or larger, but I guess that's what you already have.
It will be fine for carb or EFI and it will provide fuel at all times.. no matter if your fuel tank has baffles, is almost empty and you're driving uphill or around corners, drag race and so on...

Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM

I'm using one in my 70 Bonneville, but its because there isn't a replacement
EFI capable fuel tank available for my application. The quality of the parts
appears to be great. I did a small write-up on my install here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=822430

As others have noted, its technically a better solution to use a Tanks Inc
or equivalent EFI ready tank, and just sell what you have to cover the difference,
but the Holley kit is also viable. I'm very happy with it in my application.

-Scott

Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM

I have heard that a mid 80's Buick Grand National tank is a direct bolt in an is baffled. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 02-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
I like the Power Surge: https://www.robbmcperformance.com/pr...owersurge.html

It's easy to install, you can keep all your old equipment and if your fuel tank has a 1/4" return or larger you can use it. Feed should be 3/8" or larger, but I guess that's what you already have.
It will be fine for carb or EFI and it will provide fuel at all times.. no matter if your fuel tank has baffles, is almost empty and you're driving uphill or around corners, drag race and so on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
I'm using one in my 70 Bonneville, but its because there isn't a replacement
EFI capable fuel tank available for my application. The quality of the parts
appears to be great. I did a small write-up on my install here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=822430

As others have noted, its technically a better solution to use a Tanks Inc
or equivalent EFI ready tank, and just sell what you have to cover the difference,
but the Holley kit is also viable. I'm very happy with it in my application.

-Scott
Thanks for all of the great information. I think I have decided to go with the Tanks Inc EFI ready tank. It is only a little more than the Holley Muscle Car Sending Unit. Not only is the tank baffled and has the small inner tank but it is a couple of gallons bigger than a stock tank.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 02-06-2019, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the looks of that Holley unit. I like that it is self contained, and is a single FI pressure outlet. Makes plumbing a breeze. I went with something similar in my Firebird, but did it more like the LS filter/regulator setup by keeping the regulator back at the tank. I like that these setups continue to evolve. I did an FiTech retrofit pump (cutting was required), with a Tanks, Inc EFI return regulator at the pump outlet. I ended up with a single 58 psi supply going forward. But I get why you would prefer a baffled new tank, no real arguments against that.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I like the looks of that Holley unit. I like that it is self contained, and is a single FI pressure outlet. Makes plumbing a breeze. I went with something similar in my Firebird, but did it more like the LS filter/regulator setup by keeping the regulator back at the tank. I like that these setups continue to evolve. I did an FiTech retrofit pump (cutting was required), with a Tanks, Inc EFI return regulator at the pump outlet. I ended up with a single 58 psi supply going forward. But I get why you would prefer a baffled new tank, no real arguments against that.
If I can get a response from someone that is actually using one of Holley's new sending units and are having great luck with it with no problems then I would be more willing to get one and use it. I just don't want to waste that much money to find out it doesn't work as advertised. There are a lot of reviews out there for the Tanks Inc EFI ready tanks and most of the reviews are positive. That is probably the biggest reason for leaning towards a new tank.

Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot