Old 11-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe it does make a difference. A carb manifold is going to have compromises made to allow mounting of the carb. Look at the manifolds used on modern cars with port injection - nice long, smooth runners and big plenums. This is part of how they get such wide powerbands out of modern engines. I just think it would be cool if someone could make such a manifold for Pontiacs and I believe it would perform better in a port FI setup than a manifold that was originally designed to have a carb sitting on top of it. No compromises to runner length and shape to accomodate pulling from one side of the carb or the other (in the case of a dual plane or to runner length for single plane), no compromises to plenum volume to allow for mounting a carb.

I dunno, I just think it would be really cool to have an LSx style intake available for Pontiacs, and I bet a properly designed one would easily outperform any of the intakes people commonly use now.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

I don't know about anyone posting in this thread,but what I'm looking for is easy to install,not having to mess with a carb and reasonably priced.I don't put alot of miles on my car every year,but when I get in it,I want it to start and be reliable.

I think that this system offers this for me.
All this technical stuff about manifolds,o2 sensors, etc....

Don't get me wrong,I love to tinker with my car and have an awesome set of tools..

Good luck

30 Original Owner Ordered PHS Documented Factory Options
Second Owner
Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967SC View Post
I don't know about anyone posting in this thread,but what I'm looking for is easy to install,not having to mess with a carb and reasonably priced.I don't put alot of miles on my car every year,but when I get in it,I want it to start and be reliable.

I think that this system offers this for me.
All this technical stuff about manifolds,o2 sensors, etc....

Don't get me wrong,I love to tinker with my car and have an awesome set of tools..

Good luck
Agreed and you are the target market. Considering that probably 50% of the people on this board think the whole notion of spending over $1000 on a TBI unit is absurd. I'm not sure how big of a market there would be for a dedicated port system that would likely cost three times as much for an engine that has not been produced for 40 years. If you want all of that, at what point is that same market just going to say screw it, and put a LS in the car and avoid all of the compromises necessary to update an engine which was on the drawing boards 65 years ago.

This is a reasonably priced solution to the drawbacks associated with running a carb in 2016 while giving up little if anything. There are experts with carbs that can do many of the same things but this levels the playing field for anyone with a reasonable available balance on their credit card and wants to get out on the road and enjoy their car.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My question is at what point are we just splitting hairs over this stuff. A fresh sheet EFI intake would be cool but I'm looking for dead nuts reliability, throttle response and performance. I want to get in my GTO, drive 300 miles away, Auto x all weekend and drive home with 0 engine related issues. I don't care about squeaking the last few hp out of an engine since i'm not drag racing.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My comments are not meant to detract from the FITech system in any way. It's nice to have an affordable TBI setup available and I can see myself going to it as i want to be able to drive my Formula long distances under varying conditions using whatever pump gas I find along the way and it's hard to beat an EFI setup for that AND I don't want to spend a ton of cash on it.

Someone then brought up port EFI and I just mentioned that I thought it would be neat to have a manifold specifically designed for that. I fully understand why we don't, and likely won't, but we can hope and wish, can't we? Just understand that for any port FI setup on a Pontiac you're stuck using a manifold that has design compromises that are the result of it originally being designed for a carb. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if that's what you want...

Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Senior Chief

If this unit works well it will be a total game changer…maybe in three years they will be even cheaper…maybe 599? Then the time of the carb will be over except for people who go for the original look...

Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taalltheway View Post
If this unit works well it will be a total game changer…maybe in three years they will be even cheaper…maybe 599? Then the time of the carb will be over except for people who go for the original look...
I totally agree with that!!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by taalltheway View Post
I don't see the price of this unit getting cheaper. It's already half the cost of the other TBI systems on the market and demand is high. Heck my thread about being at a cross-roads prompted no lesson than four people wanting dibs on my system should I decide to sell it (I won't be).

It's a good system that will replace needing to dick with a carb for the vast majority of people who just want to turn the key and go.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

actually, in a conversation with a FiTech rep, he advised they would be lowering prices possibly within the next year.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM

I don't think it will drop from 1000 to 600 anytime soon, if anything it will drop I'm increments of $100 over a few years. Tech works this way, 5 years ago i paid $24 for an LED bulb, now they are $2-4.

Honestly think 1k is a good price point for the tech.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think 1K is a bargain and I won't wait when it's my time to buy. The rep told me price cuts would begin after the other manufacturers began competing at this price point. Holley has already stepped in to the game...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's just a fancy computer controlled carb. It *should* be cheaper...

Old 11-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I think 1K is a bargain and I won't wait when it's my time to buy. The rep told me price cuts would begin after the other manufacturers began competing at this price point. Holley has already stepped in to the game...
That's great news. I'm still planning on running this setup on my 81. I've been totally spoiled by fuel injection to the point where unless its a matching#, extremely rare car, I'll be running FI.

Thank god FItech came out and made an affordable system for us. I like how the other manufactures lowering their prices, or making systems to compete with FItechs system for the same price. Paying 2k+ for a TBI unit is insane to me, so its nice seeing prices coming down!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got off the phone with FiTech.

550hp multiport EFI is 1799.00

1050hp multiport EFI is 1999.00

Both of those packages include the entire ready to run setup including fuel rails and an Edelbrock EFI ready Torker2

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 11-10-2015, 02:34 PM

That manifold will be too tall for a 2nd gen Firebird.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
That manifold will be too tall for a 2nd gen Firebird.
I thought the TII was same as stock height? Is the TB taller than a carb?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
Just got off the phone with FiTech.

550hp multiport EFI is 1799.00

1050hp multiport EFI is 1999.00

Both of those packages include the entire ready to run setup including fuel rails and an Edelbrock EFI ready Torker2
So what are the advantages with this over there TBI unit at half the cost? I have a car and really don't like my Quick Fuel carb. It dyno'd at 541 so the 550 will work. I just run on the street, no NOS or turbo or anything else, just pump gas and drive. Will it matter which version I use?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:57 PM

As I understand it, the Torker (original) is about factory height, the Torker2 is taller.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
So what are the advantages with this over there TBI unit at half the cost? I have a car and really don't like my Quick Fuel carb. It dyno'd at 541 so the 550 will work. I just run on the street, no NOS or turbo or anything else, just pump gas and drive. Will it matter which version I use?
MPFI theoretically will produce more power and even better fuel mileage by improving cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution and providing more highly atomized fuel to the cylinder (no fuel separating out as it passes through intake runners).

As to TII height, it might require a custom air cleaner base for Trans Am owners but 'birds without shakers (Except RA Formulas) should have no problem with a TII. For those of us with Formulas that breathe through the scoops this would require a completely custom air cleaner to preserve that functionality.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
port fuel injection gives you better distribution in all cylinders vs providing the fuel and air mix at the plenum. With that said I'd want to know if the system is a sequential or batch fired application.

Sequentially fired EFI provides the fuel at the point the cylinder needs it. Batch fire provides fuel bank to bank. What happens in that situation is you have fuel sitting on top of the valves waiting to enter the cylinder during the appropriate stroke. This happens to some degree with carbs and TBI setups, but because the mixture is provided at the plenum, the cylinder/s on their intake stroke get the majority of the allotment.

For me personally, if the system is batch fired, I'd save the money and stick with the TBI unit. On the other hand if it's sequentially fired, I think they've got an absolute bargain going, especially since it comes with an EFI ready intake.