Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Time to go

I have been struggling with this for a while now, but I feel its time to move away from the Pontiac as a race engine. The struggles to get parts are just stupid, wait and wait and still nothing, the frustration has gotten to be to much for me, as all of us have a limited time on earth to pursue our hobbies and passions I feel it is time for a change. For what its worth ALL my Pontiac related engine components and acc. are for sale. As I write this I have a new BBC ordered from a very reputable builder so offers to "help" by selling me something while appreciated are not needed.

I have always loved the challenge of competing with "something different" and being able to beat the big guys but the constant challenge that the Pontiac vendors keep presenting us is just to much -- take care and good luck.

Curt

Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

understandable. keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell the firebird. always liked it. maybe we will see you at Vegas some time

Old 12-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh snap. The competition is in trouble now that your on a level playing field. Good luck with the Iconic BBC.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear ya! I've been wanting to upgrade for a LONG time but the product i want i just can't get. Very frustrating! Good luck moving forward.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't Proline engines the best out there?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best of luck Curt.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 12-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just keep going fast.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks to all and it is still a Firebird

Old 12-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Good Luck with your program and don't make excuses about why you wanted to switch.

There are a lot of good engines out there that are not traditional engines and if you really want to just race, buy the most durable, fast, engine combination that your budget allows, put it in the car, and go for it. Every day is a day you can't get back.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the modern LS engine hasn't caught up with the potential of BBC? I wouldn't know, just curious... seems that would be the route I would take if I ever ventured from Pontiac.

Good Luck Curt!

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck Curt. It's been fun following you while carrying the Pontiac flag. Continued success!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check in once in awhile. Dont like but understand the BBC switch and certainly glad its not SBC or LS platform. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
I have been struggling with this for a while now, but I feel its time to move away from the Pontiac as a race engine. The struggles to get parts are just stupid, wait and wait and still nothing, the frustration has gotten to be to much for me, as all of us have a limited time on earth to pursue our hobbies and passions I feel it is time for a change. For what its worth ALL my Pontiac related engine components and acc. are for sale. As I write this I have a new BBC ordered from a very reputable builder so offers to "help" by selling me something while appreciated are not needed.

I have always loved the challenge of competing with "something different" and being able to beat the big guys but the constant challenge that the Pontiac vendors keep presenting us is just to much -- take care and good luck.

Curt
Curt I completely understand every word you said.....I felt kinda dirty going the big block route but I got over it the 1st time I let go of the button and by the 1/8th I was wondering what took me so long to make the switch? MY CAR IS HAPPY with that all aluminum motor in it!!!........I get it though your still a die hard and put in way more time and effort$ than most would dream about....GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND CLINT!

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is it that has taken a long time to get? Not the vendors but the parts, heads, blocks, cranks?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
What is it that has taken a long time to get? Not the vendors but the parts, heads, blocks, cranks?
I was kinda wondering the same thing.

GTO George

Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get it. I don't go fast enough to outgrow Pontiac V8's. But if I WAS going to get deep into racing, I would go generic/cheap/highly available, and leave the Poncho motors for the classic street crowd.

BTW, your statement about the finite time we have to play in our hobbies/passions was insightful.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm in a class with very few cars that was created for us misfits. To build a correct AS or HTA car I'd need a 310 cu in or less engine, and to be competitive it needs to spin over 8000 and have at least 600 hp.
To do that I'll need a dry sump sbc. Modern LS isn't allowed.
If the misfit class doesn't grow more cars then some point I'll probably have to make the switch, but it's not something I want to do.
Building a short deck small cube short stroke Pontiac is just about impossible when a SBC is basically off the shelf, down to the headers and intake.
I do get a lot of kudo's at the track for doing it differently but that doesn't make it any faster.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To each their own I suppose, I don't race competitively(there's no money in it over here) so I don't need an engine that puts me on a level playing field, but, I can understand someone who races just to win would want that,good luck.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm in a class with very few cars that was created for us misfits. To build a correct AS or HTA car I'd need a 310 cu in or less engine, and to be competitive it needs to spin over 8000 and have at least 600 hp.
To do that I'll need a dry sump sbc. Modern LS isn't allowed.
If the misfit class doesn't grow more cars then some point I'll probably have to make the switch, but it's not something I want to do.
Building a short deck small cube short stroke Pontiac is just about impossible when a SBC is basically off the shelf, down to the headers and intake.
I do get a lot of kudo's at the track for doing it differently but that doesn't make it any faster.

Makes a great goal: Perhaps a Butler inspired 303 build using an Al block can be afforded?