THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stupid Craigslist people

Since there is a similar thread for Ebay people,I figure I'd share a CL story or two.

A few years back I had two nice,rust free,original paint '76 Cutlass doors sitting around. I put an ad on CL with a few pics,also telling what years the doors would fit. A steal for $100 for both IMO
A lady calls and asks if she can come "Right now" and look at them. It was about 10 AM,and she lived 30 or so miles away. I tell her "No,sorry, I work 3rd shift and I was just heading off to bed. I can show you from 7-9 PM or 7-10 AM,or anytime on the weekend. She then asks if she can come on her lunch hour,at about 2PM! I told her "No,I JUST went over this!"
I learned years ago NOT to alter my schedule or sleep for no show CL dopes.
She calls again about a week later,a weekday,same conversation.
About 2 weeks later she calls a third time,same deal,wants to come "Right now". Figuring she called 3 times,maybe she's serious about buying them. I told her to come over,but she would have to deal with my wife,as I'll be sleeping. My wife has a soft spot in her heart for the dumb,so things should go fine.
When I woke up later I asked my wife how it went. The buyer came over,took a look at the doors,and said "These won't fit my car!". My wife asked what kind of car it was that she owned- "A '98 Cutlass". Then she claimed that I TOLD her my doors would fit her car. My wife called BS. She left pissed off.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well my luck is not limited to eBay. Listed some free items on Portland CL and had a women email wanting them all. Emailed back and asked what would be a good time for her to pick them up at my shop, said I'm usually there from 11AM - 4PM or so. She emailed back and in a very nasty way said she wasn't interested if I wouldn't deliver them, 35 miles away. Told her great, they'll fit in my wood stove and help heat the shop.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had forgotten how much I hate dealing with people until I listed a snowmobile on Craigslist early this week. I stated in my ad that I would not respond to emails or text messages that only ask "is this item still for sale" rather than reference the actual item. Of course I get several of those, plus the guy thinks that because he has cash in hand, I will graciously accept his offer of exactly 1/2 my asking price. Then there is the guy who texted (in somewhat broken english) from Kalamazoo (He didn't disclose it, I googled his phone number) who claimed to be too busy with work to come look at it and asked me to consider it sold, BUT, he wanted my address to send me a bank check and he would arrange for someone to come pick it up. Not to escape honorary mention, the guy who lives 7.5 hours away from me who wanted me to meet him half way (for free, of course) or discount the sled considerably so that he could justify the trip to his wife. It wasn't until 7:45 last night that my faith in humanity was restored when I got a guy on the phone who offered me within $50 of my asking price sight unseen (other than pictures in the ad) and gave me his full name, a time when he will be here tonight to complete the transaction, and a firm commitment to purchase. Hopefully he is not a no-show. Friday night is my night to have a few cocktails while I do a fish fry for the family. Screwing that up will black list you for life.

Unfortunately, the joy of selecting the"delete this ad" button will be short lived, as I have a second sled to list tomorrow.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This ought to be a good thread. I don't even list things on CL any more for this very reason. I can't STAND dealing with the 90% to get to the 10% that's serious and not lulu in the head.
The last one was a lady that swore she was on her way over and definitely wanted my gas fireplace. I spent all afternoon waiting on her and she wouldn't answer her phone. Finally, she called back. Her cat had gotten sick in her car and threw up all over the interior. Had to be rushed to the vet, bla bla. I understand that. No problem. Things happen. She is definitely coming tomorrow though and exactly at 1pm. I'll be there. Don't sell it.
Another afternoon spent waiting on this dingbat, except now she won't even answer the phone. Never heard from her again.
Same thing on a free fabric and metal gazebo that I just wanted gone. My phone almost blew up with people calling about it. I deleted the ad 5 minutes after posting it because I literally could not react to my phone fast enough. I picked a lady that lived nearby.
"Oh yes, I want it. My son will come today with a trailer." Another afternoon burned. Never showed and refused to answer the phone. I think her son told her to take a hike because it involved about an hours work to disassemble it. She could have told me that but instead, chose to ignore my calls after I'd talked to her at least a half dozen times that day.
I won't even go into the crazy offers I've gotten on cars and that type of stuff. Poster above is right. They think you are obligated to take the most ridiculous offers just because it's 'cash money'. What'd they think, I was going to offer financing?
This has happened to me at least 10 times over the years. I'm done with Craigslist, from a selling standpoint at least.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to say, I can't complain. It's because of these losers that I got my motorcycle for free.
A guy had an '03 Suzuki Bandit 600 for sale that I was interested in. I called him up, and as it turned out we knew each other from a previous job. We had a great conversation, but as it turned out later, I didn't want the bike. It was getting close to Christmas so I changed priorities. He called me about two weeks later offering a super low price, but I graciously declined.
The thing was, as the price got lower, he got more and more calls from what we call "Kijiji Flakes" (we don't use Craigslist as much here). "Dude, do NOT sell that bike, I'll be there to buy it". Then a no show,, another no show, some idiot offering stupid low, stuff like that. He called me up in frustration and asked if I wanted to just come over and take it. He had sold everything else and was leaving town for a new job way up north. I was there the next morning with a truck and trailer. I gave him 100.00 and a bottle of Scotch as a token of my appreciation and the bike is the most fun that I can have on wheels.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Its the nature of CL. Expect absolute frustration and anger, you will rarely be disappointed.

One jackass asked me if I would take payments for a car I listed for $500.

I said "Yes. Five hundred easy payments of a dollar, before it leaves my driveway".

Like winning the Polish lottery, a dollar a year for a million years.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you interface with morons, you will have fodder for internet threads..... I don't have near the trouble some evidently have..... I just don't respond to stupid, who has time?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
If you interface with morons, you will have fodder for internet threads..... I don't have near the trouble some evidently have..... I just don't respond to stupid, who has time?
Sometimes you just don't know they're like that until after the fact. Sure, texts and emails you can ignore but when someone calls you, sounds normal and then never show up or show up and start making offers and demands that never came up in the conversation before...well, there you go.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't sold much on craigslist but lately I tried to buy a few things. Amazing how many people don't bother to remove ads after a sale or even have the courtesy to respond to an email that it is no longer available.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default craigslist

My neighbor listed a good used riding mower for free. He just purchased a new
unit and wanted to give the old one away. People rang his phone off the hook and
yet few showed up. They wanted to know what's its worth and could he deliver it 3 hours away for FREE!!!!. Heck after two weeks I loaded it onto my trailer and we donated
it to our local church. Where it is still running fine today!!!!

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 12-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
They think you are obligated to take the most ridiculous offers just because it's 'cash money'.
I don't use Craigslist, but I had my wife's car listed in Autotrader several years ago for $6,000. Had a few guys call and, sight unseen, offer something like $1,800. When I said "No - I can't sell it for that," they always responded with "It's cash!" I told them "I think that goes without saying - I didn't think you were offering to pay in bubble gum."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Firebird View Post
Heck after two weeks I loaded it onto my trailer and we donated
it to our local church. Where it is still running fine today!!!!

Gerry
I end up doing this fairly often with stuff that doesn't sell on Ebay. (Like the box of diapers that someone wanted me to ship to the Ukraine.) It helps someone out, and I at least get a tax write-off out of it.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Wait till I start my thread about dealing with tenants.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been lucky when selling or buying smaller items on CL or Ebay. My issues always start when buying large item.

It seems the more expensive the item is, the harder people are to deal with. Some peoples expectations are extremely skewed when buying an item sight unseen.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 12-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Hehe... Amen! 😁

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 12-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had pretty good luck with C/L. Everything has gone smooth, even the freebies.
Had a free mattress one time, several wanted me to hold it. I responded, "it's against the garage door, first one here get's it".

Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr Anonymous: That sure was a funny line about the Polish lottery.

george

Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb To each his own

I have bought all of my F350 crew cab dually towing trucks off of craigslist.

I just sold one of my trucks and bought another one off of craigslist a couple weeks ago.

When used correctly by buyers and sellers - it is the best place to do business ........

Jim :

Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always put in the ad "do not e-mail me asking if the car is still available, if the ad is up it's available." but I still get e-mails that say "is the car available?"

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I've always used Craigslist to advertise my rentals. Believe it or not, most of the people that I've had contact with (about the rentals) have been reasonably decent candidates. Of course, only about a third of those that initially responded to the ad actually get back to me when I send them my number to call/text.

This most recent rental listing of mine, I decided to try Facebook Marketplace. Holy crap did I get a lot of wackos out of that! And the questions- how much$$, how big, where is it? All of those were in the text of the ad! At least on FB Marketplace you can see their facebook page to prescreen before you even reply. I eliminated most of them pretty quick!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For me, it seems like the easiest stuff to sell is specific to one group of people. I never had too much trouble selling pontiac stuff, because only pontiac people are interested. I just sold a snowmobile in july, had 4 people interested, one from michigan. Had the snowmobile trailer listed for a few days then it sold. Dirt bikes and ATV's aren't too bad to sell, you get a lot of kids but they're easy to weed out.

The most frustrating stuff is junk I say is free. I quit putting free stuff on CL because one person always responds immediately that they want it, but you never hear back, 10 other people want it but can't come till the weekend... I started putting stuff on Facebook but it's the same way. A local guy is always looking for free scrap, guess his family needs the money. I had a little bit I said he could have. He was gonna be here at 7pm on a beautiful summer evening. So now were stuck all evening waiting for this dude. Sure enough at 7pm he texts me and says his truck is full and he can't make it tonight! Like he couldn't have told me at 4 or 5 that it's full? He bugged me for a few days but I ignored him. Posted a very large chicken coup for free, I never knew how popular chicken coups are, especially free ones. First people said there were coming tonight, then they couldn't find a trailer, then couldn't get a truck, then in the morning, then afternoon... Eventually I showed a little frustration because of the wasted time but they did show and got it out of here. I'm never saying anything is free again.