THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Most "Old Car Friendly" States

Article on old car friendliness I received in an email from Hagerty.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi....0_Weekend_News

The methodology used consists of classic car registration, usage restrictions, inspection requirements, taxes, road quality, traffic and weather.

May affect our decisions on relocating in retirement...

I currently live in the most old car friendly state in the country - despite it's shorter driving seasons.

We have been contemplating moving to Tennessee - but Tennessee is ranked #45. I was looking at income tax savings, a longer driving season and the music and sports scene in the Nashville area as pluses.

But the usage restrictions have me worried about not being able to enjoy my old cars:

Quote:
However, that’s only good for weekends and special events, and according to Somer, “If you are caught using on a regular basis your registration can be revoked.” The state notes that if that happens, you’re responsible for all the fees to register the vehicle as a general-use vehicle.
I'd appreciate hearing from any TN members about this aspect of old car ownership and driving in TN. If this is the way it really works - would it make more sense to just get regular plates?

Old 07-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

linky-no-worky!

I was taken back by this part of your post, and wanted to read further in order to get some context:

Quote:
“If you are caught using on a regular basis your registration can be revoked.
I cannot believe that a person would be penalized for driving an older vehicle... I could see it if it was registered purely as a "classic car" for insurance purposes - but otherwise...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

California is, surprisingly, very "old car friendly."

Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have ours registered and insured as a regular vehicle. Lately 'I've been driving it every chance I get, like to work and back, etc. I don't want any hassle with the insurance company or the government. Classic car insurance and the plates that go with them are cheaper here, but they are for a vehicle that's seldom driven. I believe that this was the gist of that excerpt that you posted, which explains that you will be forced to get regular plates if the classic plates are abused.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ ok, thanks!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The link: here.

TN isn't as old car unfriendly as you'd think. The driving season is actually quite long, the only issues are rain is a real thing and in the last 3-4 years the state has taken to tossing salt like crazy on the roads any time it hints at snow despite it not needing it. The snowy season in the eastern part where I live tends to be from late November to early March, with snow falling maybe 5-10 days total that entire time and rarely lasting more than a few days. It's not unheard of to have a warm Christmas and have the last snow on Valentine's Day.

Safety inspections and traffic? Sure, depending on where you live. AKA if you live in Nashville or Memphis. Those places aren't the majority of the state. Where I live outside Knoxville, nothing. No emissions testing, no safety (it shows!). Traffic isn't horrid at all except at rush hour on the interstate through town. If you're moving to TN, unless you are getting a good paying job I seriously doubt you're moving to Nashville or Memphis anyways.

Registration fees? Totally depends on what county you live in. Some counties have a "wheel tax" which adds a certain fee on top of the county registration fee (which is set by each county). For example, counties like Dickson where my in-laws live, registration will set you back almost $100/year per car. Where I live in Roane county, my old cars are $28/year (and ANY car is). Sure, there's antique plates that get you a one time fee and the various restrictions, but with as cheap as registration is on cars where I live, why in the world would you want to bother with antique registration on a car you plan to drive regularly? I've got a coworker who has like 10 cars and all of them have antique plates and he daily drives them all and hasn't been hassled, but I don't need that headache and worry. I've NEVER seen a need for antique plates where I've lived but I know some people get hung up on them.

Titling cars is ridiculously simple. Go to the court house for your county and head to the county clerk, talk to the ladies at the desk, and it gets done in minimal headache or hassle. I had a car I got out of KY that had no place for the buyer to sign to transfer, in California or Texas that would have been a major red flag and the DMV people would have thrown their hands up and rejected it. TN? The lady just said "oh, let's sign it 4 or 5 different places and they'll surely accept it" and we did, and the state did. No inspection of the car or verification of any kind. I brought a handwritten title from 50 years ago in and rather than get upset, the lady thought it was quaint and just processed it normally (after we deciphered the handwriting). Bill of sale cars are the same way, they'll help you out if you go in politely and ask. Or maybe it's just me because I'm cute and polite?

Anyways, if you want to move to TN, don't let that article scare you.

Last edited by Ben M.; 07-23-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

I just tagged a 66 GTO conv. with the Tennessee Antique tag. Prior to this I've always used Tennessee regular tags. And still have on my other vehicles. This tag is offered as a choice. The tag does have restrictions, but not draconian. Here they are. The vehicle must be over 25 years old and a non modified engine and body. Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector item. Can be used for general transportation on Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays. Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle. I don't see myself being too restricted with my Antique tag. And the tag cost was about $34- and it's a one time payment. Also fuel prices in Tennessee are about fifty cents cheaper a gallon than they are in the Northeast too. I personally do not see Tennessee as an unfriendly state for our old cars.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the bad link. I cut and pasted from a post on another board - and apparently it didn't process right.

In case you missed that Ben linked the article in his post, this is right from the article:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...0_Weekend_News

TN is ranked 45th and the main reasons are the safety inspection (which I'm not worried about) and the limited use (which I am worried about).

Ben and Mike - thanks for your input.

We are considering the outlying areas near Nashville - we've actually looked at homes in the Mt Juliet area and Spring Hill back in March. Decided Spring Hill is further out than we want to be. Mount Juliet or similar range would be acceptable. By my standards, I would think I could drive my cars every month - just not every day of every month....

In MN, my collector car registration is a one time fee, but doesn't have the limitations that TN does. If tags for my old cars are under $100.00 per year or less, I'd go with regular plates so I'd be free to drive on week days for pleasure use. From the sounds of it, I'll save enough on my newer cars plates (I've paid as much as $500 per year on a new car) to pay for my old car plates.

Gas prices seemed pretty close between my area of MN and the Nashville area, so that's no big deal.

We might be taking another trip over Labor Day to do some more investigating of properties and what summer weather is like in the Nashville area. I've only been in TN one other time (for the Bristol night race in August of 2000).

Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
It's ranked 49th (only Massachusetts was ranked worse...

Why?

Quote:
Weather and the lack of a safety inspection is the only reason that classic car ownership in California is as good as it is. Everything else is a major impediment to driving a vintage vehicle.

All 1975 and newer cars are required to have a smog inspection, and all original emissions equipment must be present. Frankly, we didn’t even check whether California requires a title from other states when registering a classic car, because the hassle of registering a post-1975 car from another state isn’t worthwhile. California is generally a classic car exporter rather than importer, solely because of the smog regulations.

That’s not a bad thing for clean air, but it’s a really bad thing if you’re just trying to register a car for occasional use.
CA scored 427.5 points - much higher than MA with 260. But about half of MN's 840 points (out of 900 possible). MN's biggest knock is the short driving season - which knocked 35 points off it's total.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I lived in Memphis for about a year and a half, what I observed while living there. No tags for dump trucks, or light duty trailers. I never did find out what the deal is that dump trucks don't have to be plated.

In Memphis the lawn care guys never have lights on the rear of the trailers, if the lights are still on them, they never work because they never hook them up. No one in Memphis uses turn signal for any reason, including the cops. They also don't bother to slow down when it rains and drive right on top of each other. Lots of pileups at rush hour on the loop around Memphis.

Tags were cheap enough when I was there (1999-2001) registration was pretty easy for my out of state stuff, they aren't really ridged on inspecting VINs. If I remember correctly they just used the info off the title paperwork.

Lots of people didn't have insurance when I was there, that could have changed though.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...spx?pageID=616

Champ, we really do have similar limitations.

How scarce is a non-oxy fuel in TN?

Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they should have factored in parts availability and just general hot rod culture.

Having lived in So Cal for a number of years, it’s easy to hate on the stupid 76 and later rules. But dude, there is no Craigslist like Southern California Craigslist when it comes to hot rod parts.

Add to that, So Cal is steeped in early hot rod culture. There are lots of cool car people, museums, and famous spots.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No inspection in Alabama

no mufflers on some vehicles
no bumpers
no hoods
Lots of broken windshields
no license plates
no foolin

might not even be
DUIs the way liquer bottles get littered and stood up on the road at traffics lights

there are speed traps and the radio station will let ya'll know where & when

Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post

From the link: Minnesota does not have a mileage restriction for collector class vehicles. Collector vehicles are to be operated only as a “Collector’s Item” and may not be used for general transportation. Generally driving to and from collector events (shows, parades) is acceptable. Check with local Law Enforcement for more specific issues.

It may be up to the discretion of a law enforcement officer, but my experience is that any pleasure driving is acceptable, and you can get away with taking it to work every once in a while on sunny Fridays in the summer.

I've only personally known of one person who got caught - I had a neighbor back in the 1980s who was running classic plates on her rusty 1970s Oldsmobile. She was driving to work one day in January when she got the ticket, so it was pretty obvious.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
The link: here.

TN isn't as old car unfriendly as you'd think. The driving season is actually quite long, the only issues are rain is a real thing and in the last 3-4 years the state has taken to tossing salt like crazy on the roads any time it hints at snow despite it not needing it. The snowy season in the eastern part where I live tends to be from late November to early March, with snow falling maybe 5-10 days total that entire time and rarely lasting more than a few days. It's not unheard of to have a warm Christmas and have the last snow on Valentine's Day.

Anyways, if you want to move to TN, don't let that article scare you.
Sounds like a great place.to live.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post

How scarce is a non-oxy fuel in TN?
From Hagerty's ranking:

Quote:
How did the Land of 10,000 Lakes fall only 60 points short a perfect 900 score? Start with the restrictions on vintage tags: None to speak of. A car has to be 25 years old, and you need to have another vehicle registered as a daily driver—which you’d need to have to get Hagerty insurance anyway—but beyond that, there are no other restrictions.
Which is what I've experienced in my collector car usage in MN since 2005.

What your link states:

Quote:
Restrictions: Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector's item and cannot be used for general transportation purposes.
My two daily drivers are my general transportation vehicles.

My old cars are for pleasure use as collectors items. This is concurrent with my local law officials opinions - they've told me I can't use my collector cars for every day driving, but on a nice sunny day to go for a cruise just for the pleasure of driving - go for it.

In TN, to get antique plates, you are required to sign an affidavit as follows:

Quote:
Certification Statement

I certify that I am the owner of the above described vehicle, which is over twenty-five years old and is owned solely as a
collector’s item and will be used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, but in no event for
general transportation
They have gone to great lengths to describe what constitutes legal use, which sure seems to me that anything else is illegal.

For the relatively inexpensive regular tags in TN, I'll just put regular plates on and be happy knowing that I don't have to worry about being stopped and fined and penalized for improper use, if I move there...

Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
We have ours registered and insured as a regular vehicle. Lately 'I've been driving it every chance I get, like to work and back, etc. I don't want any hassle with the insurance company or the government. Classic car insurance and the plates that go with them are cheaper here, but they are for a vehicle that's seldom driven. I believe that this was the gist of that excerpt that you posted, which explains that you will be forced to get regular plates if the classic plates are abused.
I understand your reasoning, but does your car have enough insurance? I have agreed value with my antique policy, not sure I can get that without. If your car was to be totaled, would the ins. co. look at it as an old car worth $100?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
That might be about it.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I understand your reasoning, but does your car have enough insurance? I have agreed value with my antique policy, not sure I can get that without. If your car was to be totaled, would the ins. co. look at it as an old car worth $100?
Often, you just need to get an appraisal done on the car before you get insurance, provide a copy to the insurance company and pay the premiums for a regular insurance policy on the car. Then the car is covered as a daily driver at the value of the appraisal.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You just aren't going to convince me that states in the rust belt are better than states with a 12 month driving season and no salt.

I will admit I base a lot of my opinion on acquisition though. I like new projects, so I would give heavy preference to states where you are way less likely to see rusted out frames.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports