THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RAMS rust horrible here. There are several 2013's that are missing sections of cab corners and over the rear wheels. Unacceptable, even in the salt.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2010 Chevy Equinox is starting to rust and that's common for MA where they use salt on the roads and you can't wash them for months because of the cold. My 2013 Buick has nothing yet and since we're moving to Sarasota and we'll have a garage I can wash the cars and keep them in the garage so that will help.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't they undercoat vehicles anymore? When I worked at Balch Pontiac back in the 70's there was a guy who did nothing but undercoat vehicles.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Don't they undercoat vehicles anymore? When I worked at Balch Pontiac back in the 70's there was a guy who did nothing but undercoat vehicles.
Not really.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Not really.
Not really good for a vehicle the way it is designed today. The only one that is worth while are the oil ones.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 96 Suburban 2500 that's been in the Raleigh area all of its life. It still has the original paint and there are no rust bubbles anywhere. The clearcoat is starting to come off on the roof and hood. I have owned it since 2001, and it has never been a garage kept vehicle. I am pretty sure the previous owner never garaged it. There are no signs of rust in the floors. I have driven it a couple of times during the rare snow storms we get, so it has seen very little exposure to salt or slag. If you go at least 100 miles inland from the coast and 100 miles east of the mountains, you can find rust-free 20 year old cars.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They don't undercoat vehicles anymore because it doesn't stop rust, simple. Plus the guys that did it at any of the dealerships I worked at were usually the lowest paid in the whole place, chances of them doing the job as the undercoating supplier prescribed it to be done was slim to none.

I've taken doors apart and all the parts that were supposed to be coated were bare, and the window regulars would be well coated...……..LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back when I lived in Mass. I had a 1966 Caprice, 283 4dr that had a very nice body but the frame rotted around the trans cross member and it fell out on the drivers side, locking the shifter in low gear. I had new frame rails welded in.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I've got a 96 Suburban 2500 that's been in the Raleigh area all of its life. It still has the original paint and there are no rust bubbles anywhere. The clearcoat is starting to come off on the roof and hood. I have owned it since 2001, and it has never been a garage kept vehicle. I am pretty sure the previous owner never garaged it. There are no signs of rust in the floors. I have driven it a couple of times during the rare snow storms we get, so it has seen very little exposure to salt or slag. If you go at least 100 miles inland from the coast and 100 miles east of the mountains, you can find rust-free 20 year old cars.
My buddy has a few properties in Marco Island. He bought a 1998 GMC Suburban to keep down there for his wife and kids when they fly back and forth. When I saw it a few years ago I was SHOCKED. ZERO RUST. I couldn't believe the that truck and others when I was down there the condition of them. Even being near the ocean they certainly don't rot like they do up north.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
No salt in Georgia Greg. Just add a few salty winters and watch them rust, especially the bed sides around the wheel. 3 years old up north is not uncommon. It's a Northern thing!

Well yeah, up north I've seen 3~4 year old cars driving on the interstate with both quarters flapping in the wind!.. Just a couple of months ago I was wishing that I had a good camera phone. I saw a Dodge truck with Michigan plates and it was one of the rustiest vehicles I've ever seen on the road. I thought the tag with the 'Pure Michigan' script and all that rust would have made a great photo!...lol

Either way though, the Dodges I've had here held up to frame rust whereas the GM products that I've had here did not. The GM products didn't have bad rust, just surface rust. Just seemed the Dodges had more resistance to it. Haven't had enough Fords to judge.

They have in recent years started salting some of the roads and most bridges in Atlanta, but icy conditions are so infrequent that it's not a big problem.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM

While there certainly are exceptions (Dodge trucks are one example), I'd say in general today's cars hold up to rust much better than they did in the past. Better metals, better primers and paints, better rust protection materials, and better methods of applying them. Those vehicles that are the exceptions typically have locations underneath where dirt and salt and moisture can collect without being able to drain away.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve lived all over this state, down by the coast and up in the mountains and I have never seen a rusty SC car except classics left outside for years

Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Bought my 65 rag from Arizona. It originally came from so Cal. Very solid. When in SC the guys were buying from out of state because the pickings were slim.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I search "survivor" cars all the time on CL, usually the ones from Colorado are in the best original condition. I know they're only pictures, but I get a good idea of condition. I did buy a 365HP corvette from Mike Vietro in LA, underneath the car was as new, un restored, but the upholstery was hard, liked oven baked.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was without power for much of the day due to Hurricane Florence.

I'm sure you've heard of the flooding that is going on in the coastal areas of NC and SC, and in some cases up to 100 miles inward from the coast. If you buy anything from NC or SC, you need to make sure it wasn't in a flood area. We only got around 50 mph winds and forecasts are calling for 6 - 10" of rain, but the areas south and to the east could get up to two feet of rain. There will be a lot of flood cars after this is over.

Mike

Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutx2 View Post
I did buy a 365HP corvette from Mike Vietro in LA, underneath the car was as new, un restored, but the upholstery was hard, liked oven baked.
LA... Is that Los Angeles, Louisiana or Lower Alabama?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Los Angeles. A half dozen years ago, my brother took his toyota pickup in for minor repair work, service manager noticed the frame was rusting thru. They put a BRAND NEW frame under his truck, replaced whatever else that they thought it needed, it was a 2 week job and NO charge. He couldn't believe it.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew a guy that had an older Toyota 4runner. Same thing happened. The frame rusted in half. They bought the truck off of him for stupid money at the time. I think they gave him something like 8k on a 15 yo car with hundreds of thousands of miles!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Montana or Utah or Dakotas probably be good

Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

My brother a Chrysler mechanic for 40 years tells everyone NOT to buy Chrysler product because have gotten to be so cheaply made. the day he retired he bought a Chevy suv.. Try Wyoming , I bought a 79 Camaro out there and had ZERO rust