Old 12-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Default 70 ta transmission help

Wanting to install an automatic overdrive trans in my car. Which trans y’all recommend and what all has to be changed out?? Crossmember drive shaft mounts etc. Thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 PM

200-4R or add a GVOD to your existing trans

Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Senior Chief

I think when I get my new bigger 455 installed, I will look into installing a 4L80E.
I know I will need a controller and am also looking into a fuel injection system that will do the trans also. It seems as all of the overdrive trans options are close in price to each other.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were me, I'd put in a 700R4 with an adaptor.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 12-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I think when I get my new bigger 455 installed, I will look into installing a 4L80E.
I know I will need a controller and am also looking into a fuel injection system that will do the trans also. It seems as all of the overdrive trans options are close in price to each other.

If you don't mind rowing your own, you can go full manual on the 4L80E and ditch the computer altogether.

Or just stick a GVOD on your current trans

Very solid units

I once bought a wrecked RV for $300 bucks just so I could yank the GVOD that was in it, then I sold it to a scrap yard the next day $350 lol

https://youtu.be/9j4yedbRzhM
https://youtu.be/GNfK3TRs1N0

Old 12-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best bang for the buck, 4L80E without a doubt. It also takes up less real estate under the car than a GV unit attached to your transmission. With minor modifications it's able to handle 750 HP for decades without any refreshing.

GM designed the T 400 and it has been used in many full size GM cars, trucks as well as muscle cars from the mid 60s, early 70s. They took the same durable design and added OD to it and made it electronically controlled so that all the adjustments you used to have to lie under the car to make, can be done with the controller from inside the car. 75% of the internal parts interchange directly between a T 400 and a 4L80E.

It is the heaviest transmission over other choices, but with that weight also comes much greater strength, without having to replace every hard part inside with billet parts.

Do your research, and you'll find that for a heavy car most people that have built cars with high HP and torque will recommend a 4L80E for abuse in all brands of hot rods, not just Pontiacs. I.E. Hot Rod magazine will use the 4L80E in most every big block project car they build, it's their go to for 454, 496, 502 and larger BBC cars, plus many LS transplants.

My stock 4L80E has 270,000 miles on it behind a warmed over turbo diesel in a 4X4 dually that I don't baby at all. I have another also behind a turbo diesel in a 2WD in a box truck that is rated at 15,000 LBs that has 246,000 miles on it. Both stock, both OEM, I think that speaks volumes about durability, few if any other OD options will go 1/4 of a million miles in a HD application, with zero upgrades.

GM used the transmission from 1991-2013, so there are plenty of transmissions available in used parts channels. Do your research as I did, and make your decision. Better yet borrow a friends late model truck, and drive it to see what it's like driving a vehicle with a 4L80E in it. I wasn't totally convinced about using a 4L80E until I bought my dually and drove it, that convinced me that my 455 powered project car would have a 4L80E in it.

Before anyone jumps on the major floorpan modification bandwagon, little if any sheetmetal changes are required to transplant a 4L80E in early muscle cars, other than a couple whacks with a hammer in some, but not all applications. No cutting, or major surgery is required. Usually if any work is required it's in the area of the cooling lines on the post 1996 units where the cooling lines locations were modified by GM. For under $40 there is a cooling line extension kit to move the connection points down to have easier access when hooking up the cooling lines on the later design transmissions (97 and later).

Yes, the driveshaft needs cut, yes, the crossmember needs moved aft or a aftermarket crossmember, and you should be able to use your OEM mount. Also needs also a $50 adapter plate to go from chevy pattern to BOP pattern, all 4L80Es were chevy bolt patterns. It needs an electronic controller and harness, unless you decide to make modifications to ditch the controller, and use it in full manual mode moving the selector lever for each gear change, up, and down.

Link to Jake's Performance, arguably the top 4L80E builder in the country:

http://www.jakesperformance.com/4l80/

Be an informed customer, do your research, instead of taking someones opinion of what the best choice is for your car. By all means don't take my word for it, research it, and make your own informed decision...........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Senior Chief

I had a 700r4 in my 1986 Grand Prix with a ZZ3 small block in it. Maybe 300-350 hp. It was having problems with a fairly stock warmed over small block, I can't imagine how long it would last behind a stronger, torquier Pontiac 455. I know they can be modified to handle more power but it requires the same mods to install behind the Pontiac the 700r4 does. I have seen 200r4's work but they require more mods and are still quite fragile. I never liked the low first gear of the 700r4 and the Pontiac won't need it.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You do NOT need a controller for a 2004R
You Can use a STOCK TH400 Cross member to mount the TH2004R
You can use a stock converter
You Can use a Stock TH350, or a stock 4 speed Driveshaft
You Can get a 2004R built to handle your needs. I run a stage 3 with a mild shift kit behind a 455HO.
You will NOT be modifying your Tunnel for the 200, and No adapter plate is needed.
You Will get a higher overdrive and higher 1st gear with a 2004R
You will Remember this Trans was used behind a '89 TTA and Paced the Indy 500
You will be happy that this will NOT break the bank....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter1 (2).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	555556  

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post: