Old 11-30-2020, 05:42 PM

Question Correct shift knob for 70 TA?

I have two 70 T/A's (both 4-speeds)

One has an ivory off white ball, the other has a black ball.

Old literature usually show a leather wrapped knob, but I've seen all types available in parts catalogs.

What would be considered correct and if all were available, how exactly did they offer them up as options?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2 cents,...never seen an original untouched '70 with a white shift ball.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rics 2 cents is worth a million
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E0AFF61-995B-4CE2-8405-D5E07EFA41B7.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	555129  

Old 11-30-2020, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also never seen an original 70 Trans Am with a white ball only the large black ball 2.10diameter

Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the consensus so far has been:

1) oversized black ball (this is by far the most common)
2) simulated leather wrapped; with red coloured insert (only on very early cars; purported to be for early cars with deluxe interior)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-01-2020, 04:03 PM

I prefer the big balls myself (maybe that didn't come out right)

As for the white, while looking them on FBC, they list the Ivory Off White balls as correct

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/Shif..._p/con-135.htm

What exactly do they mean by that?

Correct for what car/year?

Last edited by 98 SNAKE EATER; 12-01-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC, our GTO friends would have a use for the white shift balls. But exactly which years I'm not certain.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 70 TA purchased from the original owner, had the black simulated leather knob with the red insert. I purchased it in 1978, so of course it could have been changed. It did have the custom interior option as mentioned.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shift knobs are an easy change, and I'm sure some people may have changed them for no other reason than black gets hot in the sun, and white not so much.

My 4-speed T/A had a white knob on it when I bought it 15 years ago, and that knob looked every bit as old and worn out as the rest of the interior. But the car was sold new in AZ. The dealer might even have changed the knob as part of pre-delivery because customers had balked at black ones.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-01-2020, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Shift knobs are an easy change, and I'm sure some people may have changed them for no other reason than black gets hot in the sun, and white not so much.

My 4-speed T/A had a white knob on it when I bought it 15 years ago, and that knob looked every bit as old and worn out as the rest of the interior. But the car was sold new in AZ. The dealer might even have changed the knob as part of pre-delivery because customers had balked at black ones.
Interesting perspective Keith. However, I'm having a problem imagining a customer jazzed at buying a new car but balking on it because it had a color shift ball they didn't like.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Interesting perspective Keith. However, I'm having a problem imagining a customer jazzed at buying a new car but balking on it because it had a color shift ball they didn't like.

I dunno about that

The factory knob on my 98 T/A was the first thing to go in favor of a Hurst Ball, but even that was eventually replaced with a larger Hurst "H" leather wrapped knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCmPcMlZSU

Old 12-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ric... it's not the color in a visual sense. But if you've ever lived in the southernmost parts of the country... you are very aware of which colors suck up heat and which don't.

A black shift knob exposed to the sun through the windshield on a 100+ degree AZ day would not be something you'd want to put your bare hand on.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to this, because I was responsible for getting a nice REAL aluminum ball shift knob into production on a performance car for my employer, and for as much praise as we got from people that loved it... we got just as many complaints that it was "too hot in the sun", "too cold in the winter", etc. And I was like... are ya kidding? Carry a sock in your car if you don't like it!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-04-2020, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Ric... it's not the color in a visual sense. But if you've ever lived in the southernmost parts of the country... you are very aware of which colors suck up heat and which don't.

A black shift knob exposed to the sun through the windshield on a 100+ degree AZ day would not be something you'd want to put your bare hand on.
Yep. As a "dyed in the wool" western Washingtonian I can't relate to that type of heat. We start sweating at 75*.
One of the first mods I'd do to me new (used) cars was put a Hurst T handle on. Something about that grip just worked for me. But in those few frigid Winter days we'd get, I'd be running for gloves before I grabbed that handle. So I can sort of relate.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep. As a "dyed in the wool" western Washingtonian I can't relate to that type of heat. We start sweating at 75*.
One of the first mods I'd do to me new (used) cars was put a Hurst T handle on. Something about that grip just worked for me. But in those few frigid Winter days we'd get, I'd be running for gloves before I grabbed that handle. So I can sort of relate.
Back in the day I spent a lot of time in Tucson and when your car sat in sun if you weren’t careful when you put your key in ignition you would get a good scorch

The Following User Says Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post: