Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally have all the parts needed to replace my valve springs, lifters, cam etc. I'll start on the springs tonight and hopefully have it put back together before my kids are grown. (8 and 9 years old) Keep a good thought for me! Have a good weekend all. David

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally have all the parts needed to replace my valve springs, lifters, cam etc. I'll start on the springs tonight and hopefully have it put back together before my kids are grown. (8 and 9 years old) Keep a good thought for me! Have a good weekend all. David

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Luck David, your recent posts with questions were a help to many on the board I'm sure.

- Jim Doran -Some Pics of my 65

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 05-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave good luck doing your top end! Just do what i do so far as working on your car. After you get the kids to bed, take care of the house, do everything you wife wants you to do. You just might get a hour to work on your car!

---------------------------------------------------------
"GTO? Good Times Only!!!" "Get Tools Out!!!"
---------------------------------------------------------

Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, as I have searched for info on this and other forums I've noticed that sometimes the questions and the answers are not clear or are buried in a post so they are hard to find. I hope some of the questions I have asked help someone else.(whether I get it right is open to debate) I also try to post anything I manage to accomplish or shortcuts I run across to help other mechanically challenged folks like myself. This board has been my cars lifeline. Short of having someone else set up my posi, I've done all repairs and modifications on my car by info gleened from the computer. There are others here doing the same. I have 8 valves done and 8 to go. Maybe have it running by next weekend?

Old 05-02-2003, 08:41 PM

Good luck Dave, you can do it take your time and pay attention to detail.
And you are right there is so many knowledgeable people here it is hard to go wrong, but some of do anyway. lol

------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have become comfortably numb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This life’s your cup
So drink it up I say, yeah
Say it’s mine so give it all up to me now
And walk that line, don’t let this go, drink it up!
3DD.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll start on the springs tonight and hopefully have it put back together before my kids are grown. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon David, don't be so hard on yourself . I'm confident you'll be finished before your 9 year old gets his driver's license .
I have a 9 year old too, the mere thought of him driving takes me back to when I was 16 & sends shivers down my spine! I must have had a guardian angel to have survived my teens
Keep plugging away - I'll bet you're putting tools away & ready for a test drive as I'm writing!

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 05-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm up to the valley pan install. I'm going to touch up the moly lube on the lobes before I put the pan on. The distributor is in and the front of the car is put back together. All the valves are set. Seems I'll be waiting on my new fan shroud before I can finish up. (Come on Ccass, light a fire under the shipping dept). Some observations on an in car cam change---- On my 69 the latch support must be loosened and swung out of the way. Careful if you use the cam sprocket to help guide the cam out or in, it will be in the way right at the start of installation or at the very end of removal. I found out the hard way removing the bad cam and had to push the cam back in some and take off the sprocket. I also found the first little bit of cam removal and the last little bit of cam install awkward. No place to put your hand to support and guide the distributor end of the cam. Found the perfect tool close by. The pull handle for the hood latch worked perfectly. Its "L" shaped, slipped it carefully by the cam and in between two lobes and lifted the cam into the last journal. Made it easy. Get a back brace or some muscle relaxers. If you don't lean over well, in car cam changes can be painful. Using rope in the cylinders to hold the valve up worked well. Play with the amount in the cylinder to get as little valve drop as possible. So far so good. I should be able to finish bolting the intake, carb and valve covers on Sunday after Church. Then I'll be waiting on the shroud so I can see if it runs.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go David!, Go David!, Go David!!!
Just be sure to get that torn seat fixed before you start it this time .

Old 05-03-2003, 11:43 PM

Keep us posted on how things go for you. I think that I'm headded down the same path as you (needing a top end rebuild). I'm venomously trying to avoid it myself, but I think I know what I'll be doing one weekend in the future. Any tips would be helpful!!

Best of luck!

Andy

Old 05-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim, In reply to your statement over in the pre oiling thread. Yes. I am waiting on the shroud. I could put the old one back on but its such a pain in the --- to take it back out I'm just biting my tongue and waiting. It may not run but its gonna look great!

Old 05-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 05-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So whassup?
Inquiring minds want to know???

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm vibrating.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm vibrating.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UUUHHHHMMMM......David, I think he was asking about the car - NOT your extracurricular activities!

Old 05-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll now be waiting till Thursday. Had to get the shroud from another source. If it wasn't such a pain I'd put the old one back on. If something you order must be back ordered they really should tell you up front. Kinda made me mad.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
I'll now be waiting till Thursday. Had to get the shroud from another source. If it wasn't such a pain I'd put the old one back on. If something you order must be back ordered they really should tell you up front. Kinda made me mad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%! Not being notified about backorders while placing orders on the phone or via internet is a real ass-chapper!
The competition does it?

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!