Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Edelbrock EP4B on a 1960 Catalina

Hey Guys,

So I ended up taking my 69 GTO off the road for a ton of work, which leaves us without a third car for 6 months or so. As a result, I need to activate my 1960 Catalina. The 2GC on it is completely shot, so I picked up an old EP4B intake and an AFB to put on the car. The engine is the high compression 389 2BBL, and is running dual exhaust, so I figure it will like the intake and carb.

I have a few questions, and I am hoping someone out there can help me:

1) I understand that these intakes can be used on 55-60 as well as 61-64, depending on how you have the front water passage blocked off. I have included a pic of the current way that my intake is set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5875.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	468150

Name:	IMG_5874.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	468151

Name:	IMG_5876.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	468152

Is this good to run as is, or do I need to swap which holes are blocked off? I've taken my fair share of later 389s and 400s apart, but never anything this early.

2) If you look at a pic of the top of the new intake, as well as the pic of the top of my engine, there doesn't seem to be the mounting bosses to mount the coil and the throttle bracket. I was hoping that someone has put one of these intakes on their 1960 and has some suggestions.

3) Last question - looks like the factory intake is held down with studs and nuts instead of bolts. The Edelbrock intake looks thinner. In anyone's past experience, will the studs work OK with the intake, or should I try to get some sort of bolt set.

Thanks in advance,

Shaggy