Old 05-06-2020, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Thanks for the pics. Lets me a lot of what I have to do with the Alston plate. BTW, what master cylinder are you using there ? I am going with High Ports and I expect a chance of hitting brake booster.
Stock manual brake master cylinder...

Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
Stock manual brake master cylinder...
Well, how does she stop at the big end ? Mine could slow down better.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Well, how does she stop at the big end ? Mine could slow down better.
It had 4 wheel drums before and stopped fine. It has front disk and rear drums now. Still putting it together...

Old 05-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
It had 4 wheel drums before and stopped fine. It has front disk and rear drums now. Still putting it together...
Right now I am thinking about trying a hydra boost out of a Astro van. I need to get some clearance for the High Ports with tall valve covers, they will hit my booster.
I know race cars don't do this, but I might just do it. The car is power steering but I took the belt off only because the pump started sounding funny. The elephant ears I have are fit for the power steering unit and the BHJ balancer can be used with stock everything. I made tests with belt on and belt off years ago and it made zero difference. Going in a straight line there was no load on the pump and there will not be a load on the brakes until I use them at the end. Engine did not have a lot a vacuum anyway with stock booster. I never threw a belt crossing the line at 6200-6500 RPM and don't see why I would throw it crossing it at 6700-7000RPM.
Anyway it will be cheap to try out and If I do not like it I can do something different. There are a bunch of Hot Rod articles and doing the swap. parts are cheap, I can make the high pressure hoses at work and will see how it goes.
Pulling the trans this weekend to fit the Alston .100 mid plate so I won't have to do it installing the new engine.
If it does not work for whatever reason I will go Wilwood or something else. I do have the entire front disc setup for a 70 GTO(Think it was a Judge) spindles, calipers, booster, all of it. But it is heavy.
If I can get a little larger dia pulley for the pump maybe it will help keep some RPM of it.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not sure u want to put a hydro boost setup on a drag car. For street sure as u want it to stop ASAP when u need it. On the track, I don't u want too much braking as it might lock up and loose control. But that is only my opinion.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 TRANSAM View Post
I'm not sure u want to put a hydro boost setup on a drag car. For street sure as u want it to stop ASAP when u need it. On the track, I don't u want too much braking as it might lock up and loose control. But that is only my opinion.
I don't know much about hydro boost. Do they put far more pressure than standard power brakes ?
I can always pull the booster and go back to non power brakes. Still have the master cylinder and the rest of the stuff on another car.
I really have to use a lot of foot pressure right now as it is. Out track has one turnaround road not that far off and another one farther down but I don't like to use it. But I don't want touchy brakes that could lock up either.
Does anyone know the difference in weight from factory drums to disc ?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take the booster set up out, put your disc set up in and get a Lamb master, call it a day