Old 06-01-2020, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

Default Paint matching/ blending

On my 67 LeMans, I already knew the fenders had 2 different sets of emblem holes drilled by the paint shop that did the car. So I have no emblem that fits the pass side. Now after a lot of time getting things lined up I find the hood has a pair of holes that will not be covered up by the emblem. The more I look the more issues I find. Pretty sure the pass side fender is not the one I paid him to rework. So, how difficult to blend/ match paint. Tyrol blue base coat/ clear. I guess I need the hood and front area of the fenders done. I have no idea what brand the shop used. Does brand matter? Can a good paint guy look at it and tell? Talking to the guy that painted the car is pretty much out of the question. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pic

Pic of the hood holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E60D77EF-BE2C-403C-85B7-445785E93168.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	541528  

Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
On my 67 LeMans, I already knew the fenders had 2 different sets of emblem holes drilled by the paint shop that did the car. So I have no emblem that fits the pass side. Now after a lot of time getting things lined up I find the hood has a pair of holes that will not be covered up by the emblem. The more I look the more issues I find. Pretty sure the pass side fender is not the one I paid him to rework. So, how difficult to blend/ match paint. Tyrol blue base coat/ clear. I guess I need the hood and front area of the fenders done. I have no idea what brand the shop used. Does brand matter? Can a good paint guy look at it and tell? Talking to the guy that painted the car is pretty much out of the question. Thanks.

How good of a job are you after? Ideally you’d repair the holes, blend the base, and clear the whole panel.

Blending clear is possible and may be an option depending on what you are after, but the end result might not be as good or long lasting.

You will want to have your paint matched at a shop that can scan your current paint if at all possible. I’ve tried blending with the “same formula” from a different batch before and it definitely showed.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Originally I wanted it really nice, ended up being expensive really kind of ok looking. Paint is only a few years old with no real weathering.
Still trying to assemble things. Almost to the point of just starting over. It needs panel work.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To blend, your going to have to wet sand the clear to start with to get the base to adhere. Then, you can paint and try to blend in the new base to the old and then clear. The hood you'd have to do the whole thing to make it look good. If your talking fenders too (because of holes needing filling) , now you have to make sure you get the same tone as the doors. It creeps.