THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Checking out a car long-distance

For some time now I've been looking for a particular Pontiac. Recently I stumbled upon one on craigslist that looks remarkably clean for the price. Trouble is, it's in Texas, and I'm in Minnesota.

Getting the car back here wouldn't be a major issue. But I'd want to know whether the car (and the seller) are on the level before committing my time and money.

Short of going there in person, my only thought would be to ask the seller for more details, and hope he/she is forthcoming, honest, and has a cameraphone. But it depends on the seller. It is craigslist, after all; and I know people can be wary of cross-country callers (they can't automatically know that I'm legit, either).

Has anybody here ever set up a long-distance car deal like this? If so, what would you suggest? Short of having a friend on location, haha.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done lots of them with help from board members.We have quit a few TX members but its a big state.Tom

Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 PM

The car in question is in the Dallas area, in case that's handy for anyone :-)

Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I'd suggest a knowledgeable forum member with a camera that likes to take pictures. I know for me, there are a couple of guys on this forum that I have met like ONCE .. that I would trust in a heartbeat to check out a car for me ... and I'd give it a no or yes based on their opinion alone.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO pictures dont show the worts.I dont have them look for the good stuff because the best stuff is usually in the ad.I want the BAD.Tom

Old 07-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had forum members help with this before. You have to be careful though! I once sent a guy to look at a Mustang in another state for me and he says "it was all I could do not to buy it out from under you..!"
He took great video and detailed pix and I almost felt like I was there with him. Car ended up being even nicer in person..

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I dont have them look for the good stuff because the best stuff is usually in the ad.I want the BAD.
Yup. The pictures, what few they provided, don't allow me to see much detail. Hard to say whether that's out of laziness, ignorance, or because it's got more issues than selling points. (If I wanted a rustbucket or a Bondo buggy, I'd buy one locally LOL.)

The pics make it look clean and straight - shiny, even - which only makes me more suspicious.

There's also a few other cars in the background (a complete-looking Chevelle, some sort of Porsche under restoration), which makes me think they *should* know better than to be lazy about pics. Or maybe they just don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TEE8GTO View Post
"it was all I could do not to buy it out from under you..!"
Hence why I didn't just post a link and say "who wants to look?". I'd quickly know if it was worthy... by whether or not the ad disappeared :-)

Last edited by kthelen; 07-24-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might post in the Members Helping Members section or the Tech catagorie for the body style you are looking at. That's also a good place to ask members where the bad spots are for that model.
Joe

Old 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've bought my last 2 cars long distance and I have gone out for members on this forum to look at cars and send back pictures 0f potential car purchases and none of these people have I met face to face. "car people" I have found for the most part are good people.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Senior Chief

Default Long Distance Car inspection

I am by no means as knowledgeable as some other forum members from Texas, but I would be happy to help if you get no other offers. I am in what we call the Mid Cities area between Fort Worth and Dallas. If it is in the far North areas of Dallas like Frisco, Plano, Allen, Mckinney it would make more sense for a member on that side of the Metroplex to assist. If you wouldn't mind sharing the type of vehicle you are interested in I can check our local Craigslist posting to see where it is really located.

Mike Pearson

Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Thread created. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/....php?p=5606312

Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

fly in..buy it..arrange shipping.the only person you can blame for it not being what ya want...is you...make it a weekend...from MN to TX the is $117 round trip i just googled it.......theres no reason not to go....just sayin'

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-24-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
fly in..buy it..arrange shipping.the only person you can blame for it not being what ya want...is you...make it a weekend...from MN to TX the is $117 round trip i just googled it.......theres no reason not to go....just sayin'
That was actually the first thing I considered. Unfortunately, the fares I was coming up with were 2-3x that.

In all fairness, I set it for flying in and out on the same day, which might not have helped (but prevents the need for lodging). I also wouldn't want to bet the car will still be there in 2 or 3 weeks, which is how far out it seems I'd have to go for cheaper airfare.

Of course, the other part I'd have to figure out would be how to put me, the car, and the seller all in the same place. Rental car? Taxi? I've never been to Dallas, so I have no idea what I might be walking into. Or I could ask him to bring the car to the airport, but that seems like a lot to ask.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree... fly-in after having a member look at it..
When looking for my Formula, I flew from CA to Baltimore after having a member help me out. I chose not to buy that one.

I then had a member look at one in NY for me. I then flew in and did buy that one. Still have it.
I invested about 600.00 in flights for those.
I'll also add that I have looked at numerous cars for members.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 07-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unless you have someone that you know look at the car and completely trust their judgement, I would strongly suggest going to look at it in person. The air fare is pocket change compared to the potential hidden costs when you get the car. Back in 2011, I purchased my current ride from a seller out in New Jersey, and I'm in northern Wisconsin. When I checked into airfare it was nearly $800 for a round trip flight, so I relied on the sellers word and lots of photos that he was willing to send. BIG MISTAKE. The car turned out to be a polished turd that I am certain that I would not have purchased had I seen it in person. I could have bought A LOT of air fare with the $12K+ it took to bring it up to the condition that I thought I had purchased. Never again.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM

I don't think I'd want to buy sight unseen. It's more about having someone (other than the seller) verify that it exists and isn't radically different than represented, before going all the way there myself.

Also, if I have some indication that the seller is legit, I'd be more likely to do something (ie. put down a small percentage of the purchase price) to ensure it's still there when I arrive.

I've done "here's the first $100, if I don't come back at the appointed time, it's yours to keep" type deals locally. A version of that would seem reasonable, if I know the car and seller are for real!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it a 56'?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best thing to do is go look at it yourself. Other members mentioned the good pictures will be taken and not the bad. I drove 850 miles each way to buy a car (from a member on this site) that was "rust free" and couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at it in person. It was almost like the pictures were from a different car. I was very excited the whole way do look at it. What a disappointment!

Needless to say, I came home empty handed.

Last edited by necdb3; 07-25-2016 at 05:35 PM.