Old 04-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had bad experience with them through the sale they had last year..... They never shipped out any heads to me.

I got my money back though....about 2 months later... Jeeez!!!... I used that money to buy E-HEADS BTW.

Kris.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GTO View Post
I had bad experience with them through the sale they had last year..... They never shipped out any heads to me.

I got my money back though....about 2 months later... Jeeez!!!... I used that money to buy E-HEADS BTW.

Kris.

I think I remember you posting about that, Kris. Not a good way to build a company!
My situation is, I got a bare set of heads during that sale. I haven’t done anything with them yet. I get kinda squeamish when I hear talk of issues with these heads. They’re just isn’t enough experience with them out there, I think.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-29-2020, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

If you are going to buy the heads, buy from Randy Repp. Support a Pontiac guy.

He will build the heads to suit your needs using whatever parts you like.

Porting to whatever your needs are.

He also warranties what he sells.

Why try and pull the rug out from under him? He showed us the heads, bought and dissected a test head, paid to have porting done to establish a basic package. Keeps the heads in stock. Flow tested the heads. Sent aluminum out to be tested for quality, and when the importer came up with that Black Friday Special, he matched the price for what he had in stock.

I'm not saying buy the heads, or don't. Just saying that buying from a reputable vendor who is also a Pontiac die hard and willing to build-to-suit with known quality components should be a no-brainer AND help alleviate fears of failure because of imprecise machining/material failures.

Stuart

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Why try and pull the rug out from under him? He showed us the heads, bought and dissected a test head, paid to have porting done to establish a basic package. Keeps the heads in stock. Flow tested the heads. Sent aluminum out to be tested for quality, and when the importer came up with that Black Friday Special, he matched the price for what he had in stock.

I'm not saying buy the heads, or don't. Just saying that buying from a reputable vendor who is also a Pontiac die hard and willing to build-to-suit with known quality components should be a no-brainer AND help alleviate fears of failure because of imprecise machining/material failures.

Stuart
Agree, and Randy definitely supports the racers and Pontiac hobby.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 04-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Stuart

Slick, I’m not sure if your talking to me or not. I already have the heads.
As far as Randy building the heads, are you thinking he gets his heads unmachined & puts the seats in after he gets them?

I’ll have to try & talk to him. I follow him on F book.
Thanks for your input!
Murf

Old 04-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Stuart
+1 to this!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

Murf,

No offense meant. You already have the heads, so doesn't apply. I had a nice conversation with Randy. He is having Dave Wilcox do his porting and other work done in house. Seems to me if he is going to the expense of using H&M to port the heads, then he certainly isn't scrimping on the other details.

He is very eager to answer questions. I contacted him through his Facebook page. He responded within a day or so. Answered all my questions.

If I decide to pursue the Speedmaster heads, there is no doubt but that Randy would get my business.

As to the degree to which they are machined prior to his taking delivery of them, I'm not sure, by all means ask him.

Stuart

Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 428 I referenced above made 532 hp.
To be clear - not with the 329 cfm heads that was a different build.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Senior Chief

Saw that. As cast heads. Low peak RPM, imagine it was reasonably mild.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what make of heads the BBC ones are -but they have no manufacturers marks,numbers, casting codes,stickers or anything to ID them - a sure sign that they are Chinese copies of another manufacturers product!

Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Saw that. As cast heads. Low peak RPM, imagine it was reasonably mild.

Yes 53 or 5400 rpm.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i put a set on a 400, runs great no issues at all. surprised the headers,intake, valve covers and brakets bolted up with no issues.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaca85 View Post
i put a set on a 400, runs great no issues at all. surprised the headers,intake, valve covers and brakets bolted up with no issues.

Hey jamaca85 could you post some details of your build, please?
Comp ratio, cam, gearing etc. what are your impressions as far as drivability, idle quality & throttle response?
I’m happy to see some real world experience!

Thanks
Murf

Old 05-11-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cam is a lunati i bought from a member.505 526 lift hyd flat tappet.342 geared firebird with a 2200 stall. Idles great. has 10-1 comp with headers and 2.5 exhaust. Drives great too. No issues. Great smooth idle even with the 110 lobe center. Cam has a 233-241 dur at 50. When the track opens i will see. Expecting 12.90s from this combo, we will see

Last edited by jamaca85; 05-11-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaca85 View Post
Cam is a lunati i bought from a member.505 526 lift hyd flat tappet.342 geared firebird with a 2200 stall. Idles great. has the 10-1 comp. Drives great too. No issues. Great smooth idle even with the 110 lobe center. Cam has a 233-241 dur at 50. When the track opens i will see. Expecting 12.90s from this combo, we will see
I noticed in your signature you had Eheads. Did you replace with the Speedmaster? Also what type of intake?

I just finished the light port match on the set I bought. waiting on springs so I can reassemble.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The e heads are on the 455 in my 70 firebird that is a track only car. I believe in if there's no issues leave it alone with that one. In the 79 i have the 400 with the speedmaster heads. With a cast iron intake thats been worked on a little. Thats just a street car

Old 05-13-2020, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default Speed master head tear down

Took my speed master heads apart today to take them to Dave Wilcox for some port work. Quality looks good overall. Here are a couple observations. Valve spring heights were all about 1.810 but had various shims to get there so there is some variation somewhere. (Not an issue just a note). I am upgrading to 2.19 and 1.77 valves. My new valves measure .341-.3415 they were so tight I could barely push them through the guides. The speed master valves measure .3395-.3340 so the guides were machined to these valve sizes. I honed the guides for proper clearance on my new valves and all is good. Just wanted to let everyone know if you change valves you may need to work on the guides a bit. I’m duplicating the edelbrocks on my current engine with the speed masters so I can do so real comparisons.