The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Greg,
Thanks.
It took me about 5-6 years to the restoration of the body and engine work.

Dataway,
Nice paint work on that motorcycle and tractor. From the looks of it you should have no problems painting a car.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of paint did you use on the Packard? I love that kind of glossy finish ... don't know how to explain it, not excessively "shiny" but very glossy. There was an offensive term used back in the day to describe paint that was very shiny, but not glossy.

Anyway, yes, wonderful looking paint, way better than the OEM paint that came on my GTO.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that your race bike?

Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM

The Black is SPIs Single Stage that he had available at the time then discoutined it. I have check SPIs site as of late and looks like he is making it again.

The other color is a Mahogany Red by Prospray and also a single stage.

There was some orange peel which I wet sanded starting with 400 to I think ending with 1500. Then buffed it with wool, orange foam pad and finished with a black foam pad. It was alot of sweet but well worth it.

I think if I had a bigger compressor compared to my little 32 Gallon Husky the orange peel may of been a little lighter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadspackard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Is that your race bike?
That was one of our small vintage race bikes, we were running three of them for 15 years or so in the Northeast. Wife and I both raced.

Here is a picture in the later stages of development years later, different frame, different crankcase, different body work (carbon fiber) ... in this picture I was fitting up a new set of SS pipe I bent up for it. By this point it would go pretty good. Was spending stupid money and time on the engine internals.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFD-heades-7.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	539187  

Old 05-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's pretty cool! My brother races in the VRMA (I think that's what its called) in Canada. He runs 1935 Rudge. He also raced in the US a bit before he moved north. Dont suppose you know of a fellow named Lawless? he was pretty big into vintage racing, maybe in your area. At one time we had a couple of dozen old bikes, down to about 5 collecting dust in my garage now.
Sorry to Hijack, Good Luck with your paint job. Seeing what you have done already I dont think you will have any problems.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be the VRRA, raced with them usually once a year at MoSport Shannonville or Schubanacadie. Name sounds familiar, the "Pre-50" guys are always the cream of the vintage racing crop We did an "International" race with them once a year either in Canada or they came to Loudon New Hampshire. Good times.

But, eventually I could no longer spend all the money and time doing it, everyday walking past the old GTO sitting under a tarp Had to pick one.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
That would be the VRRA, raced with them usually once a year at MoSport Shannonville or Schubanacadie. Name sounds familiar, the "Pre-50" guys are always the cream of the vintage racing crop We did an "International" race with them once a year either in Canada or they came to Loudon New Hampshire. Good times.

But, eventually I could no longer spend all the money and time doing it, everyday walking past the old GTO sitting under a tarp Had to pick one.
I know he races those courses. Had a pretty bad run in a couple of years ago around labor day. Guy hit him from behind running about 90mph! He was pretty banged up and thought about giving up the racing but was planning on going back this year, I suppose the virus has things on hold for now.