Old 05-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Kinda sounds like he is asking for something a little more specific to me. Well......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
And you would be right I was hoping he would Enlighten us more I know what I'm doing on my end I was just trying to create conversation
Mark and I already had a private conversation in regards to the cam he was using and a cam I suggested. He chose to purchase a cam from someone other than me. My recommendation was based from thirty eight years of racing Pontiac engines, hundreds of standard pushrod location Edelbrock head combinations and the results from a friend of mine running a very similar combination as Marks. If Mark would like to post up his "new" cam card we could all critique it.

His original posts have merit but they are basic text book information. They are guidelines, but don't get specific on what needs to be done for specific applications and why. Chances are when you call a cam grinder to purchase a cam you will talk to a salesman that has been trained to recommend something from their catalog and also to be conservative or "safe". If your fortunate you will get to someone more than a trained salesman. That person will be helpful and usually have a lot of feedback but I doubt it will be direct feedback based on combination like Mark's. His is unique and not a ton of them like his out there.

I remember calling Comp Cams thirty some years ago and asking the gentleman that answered the phone for a recommendation. I was running a 463 with 7F6 heads, 4,000 stall and 4:10 gears.... He recommended a 268H (218/218 110 LSA .468 LIFT) cam due to the low compression. I reiterated my combination, told him this is more like a S/S combination and they were running 270° solid rollers. He said "they'd go faster with the 268 due to their compression ratio". I had similar experiences with other calls, I've also talked to some sharp guys that were and still are helpful.

Last edited by PAUL K; 05-19-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I remember calling Comp Cams thirty some years ago and asking the gentleman that answered the phone for a recommendation. I was running a 463 with 7F6 heads, 4,000 stall and 4:10 gears.... He recommended a 268H (218/218 110 LSA .468 LIFT) cam due to the low compression. I reiterated my combination, told him this is more like a S/S combination and they were running 270° solid rollers. He said "they'd go faster with the 268 due to their compression ratio". I had similar experiences with other calls, I've also talked to some sharp guys that were and still are helpful."

That's pretty funny and not surprising from 30 years ago. How many thousands of 268H cams have been sold over those 30 years? 267-455 Pontiac V-8, fits them all!!! It's all the cam you need in a Pontiac. If you were a serious racer, you wouldn't be running one anyway. Those were the days. Throw out the 068 cam, put in the 268H Comp Cam and run about the same. That's about the time I was first introduced to Harold Brookshire, Tim Goolsby at Ultradyne/Bullet cams. Everything changed from that point forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's about the time I was first introduced to Harold Brookshire, Tim Goolsby at Ultradyne/Bullet cams.
Harold is truly missed. A great mind and cool guy.
UD cam was the best I ever had.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Mark and I already had a private conversation in regards to the cam he was using and a cam I suggested. He chose to purchase a cam from someone other than me. My recommendation was based from thirty eight years of racing Pontiac engines, hundreds of standard pushrod location Edelbrock head combinations and the results from a friend of mine running a very similar combination as Marks. If Mark would like to post up his "new" cam card we could all critique it.

His original posts have merit but they are basic text book information. They are guidelines, but don't get specific on what needs to be done for specific applications and why. Chances are when you call a cam grinder to purchase a cam you will talk to a salesman that has been trained to recommend something from their catalog and also to be conservative or "safe". If your fortunate you will get to someone more than a trained salesman. That person will be helpful and usually have a lot of feedback but I doubt it will be direct feedback based on combination like Mark's. His is unique and not a ton of them like his out there.

I remember calling Comp Cams thirty some years ago and asking the gentleman that answered the phone for a recommendation. I was running a 463 with 7F6 heads, 4,000 stall and 4:10 gears.... He recommended a 268H (218/218 110 LSA .468 LIFT) cam due to the low compression. I reiterated my combination, told him this is more like a S/S combination and they were running 270° solid rollers. He said "they'd go faster with the 268 due to their compression ratio". I had similar experiences with other calls, I've also talked to some sharp guys that were and still are helpful.
Thank you for your help but the cam I got is from you a customer of yours sent me his cam card part #.I order it today .So thank you. Our combo are really close his heads flow a little better than mine .I have better lower lift #.Here is the Hydraulic Roller I just got but not using order a solid roller today Cam is new in the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96695723_260941581983154_4403201511241285632_n.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	540590  

Last edited by Mark G; 05-19-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Why is it people expect professionals to give out hard earned info for free? Mark should call Paul and buy a cam from him if he wants to know what Paul would do.
Ron Walker (a customer of Pauls) has a pretty similar combo and he's running the ets Mark wants to run so Paul's been there done it.
Not so sure he was asking to spec out a cam, but pick his brain and shoot the $h!t about N2O cams. You know, from a guy "in the know" as Paul likes to say.
You think Paul designs cams ? Or call guys like Scott B and takes the credit why it runs so good. I think the latter. Give the specs to someone with Vizards program and buy the cam it tells you to. Thats what all the cool kids are doing.

I have heard good things about a cam guy at Bullet named Chris Paget (not sure on the spelling)

Old 05-19-2020, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Not so sure he was asking to spec out a cam, but pick his brain and shoot the $h!t about N2O cams. You know, from a guy "in the know" as Paul likes to say.
You think Paul designs cams ? Or call guys like Scott B and takes the credit why it runs so good. I think the latter. Give the specs to someone with Vizards program and buy the cam it tells you to. Thats what all the cool kids are doing.

I have heard good things about a cam guy at Bullet named Chris Paget (not sure on the spelling)
Paul is a good guy I just like doing as much as I can myself .Like I never take the opinion of one doctor I talk to many then make my own choice.. I did not just roll off the cabbage truck yesterday … lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mark G For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

U need CV2s

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You think Paul designs cams ? Or call guys like Scott B and takes the credit why it runs so good. I think the latter. ....

Dude there was no reason to come here and start sh*t

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Stoneburg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
U need CV2s
You have a pair I can use I need more cowbell

Old 05-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
You think Paul designs cams ? Or call guys like Scott B and takes the credit why it runs so good. I think the latter. ....

Are you talking to Jack LOL

Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Are you talking to Jack LOL
No Dragncar.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post

That's what he does here.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you for your help but the cam I got is from you a customer of yours sent me his cam card part #.I order it today .So thank you. Our combo are really close his heads flow a little better than mine .I have better lower lift #.Here is the Hydraulic Roller I just got but not using order a solid roller today Cam is new in the box.
Good deal I hope you figure it out. We need as many Pontiacs out there as possible.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I buy a lot of cams from Scott, I also buy a lot of cams from Comp, Crane and Crower. I used to be a WD from Lazer and bought a bunch from him.
I'll give credit where credit is do. You should know that I've given credit for you being what you are many times. Of all the records that my combinations have set only one was done with a grind from Scott. It was a turbo 4.6 Ford. However it looks like we're going to be the first 511 cid Pontiac to break 1100hp with E-heads. That engine has a cam from Scott in it.

Usually I avoid BS'ing with the Village Idiot but since you brought it up, how about you start. Please explain to us what makes the cam your selling a good pump gas nitrous cam? I've run almost identical grinds and I wouldn't necessarily say it was a good pump gas cam or nitrous cam.... But I'm still learning.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Good deal I hope you figure it out. We need as many Pontiacs out there as possible.
Yes we do and thanks for all your help before I buy my neighbor's 632 BBC LOL

Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
it looks like we're going to be the first 511 cid Pontiac to break 1100hp with E-heads.
Cool Paul, how much CSA in the intake port?

Old 05-20-2020, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I buy a lot of cams from Scott, I also buy a lot of cams from Comp, Crane and Crower. I used to be a WD from Lazer and bought a bunch from him.
I'll give credit where credit is do. You should know that I've given credit for you being what you are many times. Of all the records that my combinations have set only one was done with a grind from Scott. It was a turbo 4.6 Ford. However it looks like we're going to be the first 511 cid Pontiac to break 1100hp with E-heads. That engine has a cam from Scott in it.

Usually I avoid BS'ing with the Village Idiot but since you brought it up, how about you start. Please explain to us what makes the cam your selling a good pump gas nitrous cam? I've run almost identical grinds and I wouldn't necessarily say it was a good pump gas cam or nitrous cam.... But I'm still learning.
So I guess what you are saying is, I was right. When you want to try and make real power you call Scott Brown, just like anyone can do. The cams in the plain white box with no numbers.
Records ? Until you give up racer, ET weight and MPH of your 1000HP E head rides how can you talk about a 1100HP E head engine ? Just give it up and you will get your props, you would deserve it.
I am cam,ing a engine right now with Vizards program and help from a friend, nothing wrong with doing that. The one I am selling was designed by that program too. But thats all I am going to talk about it here.
Hey, I don't mind talking cams, I know a little, learn more here and there. But you sure are vague about everything. I think there is a reason for that Mr. In The Know.
Good luck with your dyno session.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know who I am not calling with cam questions!

Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want real world experiance from a builder that gets feedback from his customers who would you call? What's his time worth? How much money was invested in trial and error? Look at the track record of the person or group your asking and make a decision weather they can get you where you want to be.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
If you want real world experiance from a builder that gets feedback from his customers who would you call? What's his time worth? How much money was invested in trial and error? Look at the track record of the person or group your asking and make a decision weather they can get you where you want to be.
Good advice